What's new

Discussion thread for Godrej Shaving Round

An excellent review and a great job done in giving the Godrej Round its due.

I had sensitive skin years back. The Mach 3 and Can stuff and caused regular skin eruptions. A dermatologist advised me to throw the plastic and goo stuff and try wet shaving instead. He also "recommended" (Yes it was an Rx !) Godrej Shave Round instead of skin ointments or medicines. Reasons - clean, no nonsense ingredients and will not cause me any future skin problems and right he was.

At Rs.16, I get almost 3 rounds for a dollar which makes it the cheapest way to shave.

Since this is the only soap around here in India, would like your opinions with respect to popular soaps like Williams or MWF.

I haven't tried Williams or MWF, so I can't offer my opinions on those, but I can say that Cella soap is a TOP product (but it's tallow-based, so...) and any of the Proraso or Omega soaps are great too. Creamy, protective, slick and mentholated.

Oh, and by the way Beyboo...how is the Godrej Cinthol soap? Not for shaving obviously, but I'm curious and would appreciate opinions on it.

Last edited:
I haven't tried Williams or MWF, so I can't offer my opinions on those, but I can say that Cella soap is a TOP product (but it's tallow-based, so...) and any of the Proraso or Omega soaps are great too. Creamy, protective, slick and mentholated.

Oh, and by the way Beyboo...how is the Godrej Cinthol soap? Not for shaving obviously, but I'm curious and would appreciate opinions on it.

Old School perfume like the Round, but quite unlike the round. It has its own mild and spicy scent which I am crazy about and has not changed in 30 plus years that I have used it (Soap is much older than that). Its not moisturizing or creamy like a lot of modern soaps. There are modern versions of Cinthol which have these qualities and perhaps are better than the original, but the old school Cinthol Bath Bar in a plain red paper wrapper is my all time favorite scent for a great fresh bath.

I always did wonder why Godrej never fashioned the Cinthol brand in to a "Men Line Of Products" with bath soap, shaving products and deos to go !!

Yeah, the original Cinthol in the red wrapper is what I was referring to and not the new ones advertised by Hrithik Roshan running around shirtless.:laugh: I see it from time to time on Indian movies and got curious so I did some reading on it. I'm game to try anything since Mysore Sandal Soap and Chandrika, while not the most moisturizing things in the world, did wonders for skin problems I was suffering from. And I like that Cinthol has an old school reputation.

The new line of Cinthol products reminds me of what Old Spice evolved into here: sort of a youth-oriented line of products with deodorants and sprays and newfangled scents, etc.

I received my Godrej Shaving Round in the mail the other day, too, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll give it a run tomorrow and add my review to the review section.

Also, the one I got is light blue, not brown like I assumed it would be from the photo. Is it the same for yours?

Dave

Great job on the review!

Godrej is a diamond in the rough. Excellent lather, smell is mostly neutral and leaves the face nice and slick for shaving.

The slickness surprised me. I must admit that even though I'm a fan of Godrej, the Round looked really cheap and I was dreading putting the lather on my face. I'm glad it proved me wrong. And as many soaps as there are in India, it surprises me that Godrej is the only game in town as far as shaving soaps go. I would've bet that there was some "Super Genuine Ayurvedic Formula 37 Herbs Magic Shave Soap!" somewhere. :lol:

I understand what you said about the Round being manufactured by a different company to keep overhead down, Beyboo, but I wonder why Godrej doesn't use the practice with their creams too?

The slickness surprised me. I must admit that even though I'm a fan of Godrej, the Round looked really cheap and I was dreading putting the lather on my face. I'm glad it proved me wrong. And as many soaps as there are in India, it surprises me that Godrej is the only game in town as far as shaving soaps go. I would've bet that there was some "Super Genuine Ayurvedic Formula 37 Herbs Magic Shave Soap!" somewhere. :lol:

I understand what you said about the Round being manufactured by a different company to keep overhead down, Beyboo, but I wonder why Godrej doesn't use the practice with their creams too?

Its to do with Indian Laws especially Labor laws. If you carefully read the manufacture address of a Godrej cream, it says Assam :confused: !!!

Very unusual that Godrej has manufacturing facilities of its own set up in Assam of all places when it owns thousands of acres of land in Mumbai with propa manufacturing equipment. Definitely more than meets the eye here !

Maybe the Mumbai plants are where Godrej manufactures all its appliances like refrigerators and stuff, while they make the shaving cream up in Assam where they can get cheap labor among the people that can't find jobs in the tea industry? Who knows.

Question though: Among the creams in India, what have you found to be the best? I've tried Godrej, Palmolive, Morison's, Old Spice and Park Avenue. Only the latter has been below-par in my experience.

I find Old Spice Original to be the best and the standard I use to benchmark other creams. Very slick, smooth shaves and lathers very rich and creamy. I do like the Park Avenue as well due to the way it lathers - very rich. I like Menthols a lot especially the Godrej...

Palmolives are not good latherers but have a good perfume.

Morrisons and Nivea (also made by Morrisons) have great ingredients and keep my mind happy knowing what I am pampering my skin with.

Haven't tried one cream - Dettol - off the shelfs yet. Can't bring myself to trying out the strong Dettol fragrance for shaving :001_smile

I've shaved with my Godrej Shave Round, and found it to be a solid performer. I'll admit to being genuinely surprised. I've posted a review in case you're interested.

I felt the same way...genuinely surprised. Because it does look cheap doesn't it?

If I was more of a soap guy it'd probably be a regular contender for the rotation. It gave me a better shave than Harris Arlington or Ogallala (though to be fair, those were tiny samples and irritated my face).

I certainly won't go so far as to say that it shaves better than my Harris Arlington. I was just surprised at its performance compared to my expectations when I held the thing in my hands.

It's not a top-shelf shave soap anywhere else in the world besides India, I think. I feel like it falls somewhere in a weird middle ground with very few contenders. It's better than VDH or Williams, but not quite as good as one of the English or French soaps. The nearest thing I can think of is the Proraso soap, you know? An affordable, dependable product. It will never be the best shave you've ever had in your whole life, but you'll always be able to count on it to do the right thing.

It's the 1988 Honda Civic of shave soap.

Well my feelings have been skewed I guess since I haven't had the best shaving experiences with soaps. The only ones that I've tried that gave me as good a shave as I get with my favorite creams (TOBS, Godrej, Omega/Proraso, Speick) are Proraso White and Cella.

That this little blue puck actually gave me a pleasant shave was a surprise in itself because for some reason, my face seems to prefer creams. If only it had menthol....

The Ebay seller of the Godrej Round has reduced the price to $1.99. He even refunded $1 on my Paypal since I paid the original $3. :thumbup1:

Tried this for the first time today after milling the small puck into a larger container. I was VERY impressed with the soap's ease of lathering and slickness!

proxy.php

A gem of a soap indeed!!

Top Bottom