What's new

Discussion Thread for 5/8 Dovo "Special" Tortoise Review....

Thanks for the Great review Joel. I only have one Dovo so far it's a 5/8 SS Stippleback, needs to be rescaled but is extremely sharp.

I may have to look at adding one like this to the collection :smile:

Dovo does know how to make some great looking razors. I like both of my Dovos as well. Now if only they made more bigger razors. :rolleyes:

WOW such a small world.
That very model was either my first or second Dovo, and my second straight I ever purchased several years ago; I remember wondering what the big deal was about TI's was when this thing shaved so well, nice to hear it wasn't just me....
it seems to take an edge quite well also.
John P.

If I ever buy a new straight razor, this will probably be my first. I always see positive comments on the Dovo Specials over at SRP. Once my son is a bit older and my morning routine less hurried, I hope to start up again from my brief sojourn into straights. For now, I'll just have to look and buy occasionally on eBay when something cheap strikes my fancy.

Wow...to my surprise I log in to see my razor has been posted in the reviews section. I liked the tortoise look, but wasn't sure how it look in person. I was very happy when I opened it on Christmas and saw how stunning it was.

Funny thing...when you mentioned that I never responded I thought...huh...yeah I did. I let you know that basically I have ZERO experience with Straights...this is my first so of all of the options you provided I had no idea which way to go. I figured I would leave it in your hands and you would surely do what you felt was best. Well I just checked my PM box...and guess what. I closed the window apparently before sending it. So I do apologize Joel, but it looks like it all worked out in the end. Thanks again for your help on this endeavor.

As we speak my pasted paddle and hanging strop are on their way from Tony and I ordered a DVD from Lynn.

Kind of funny...haven't even shaved with a straight and I am already drooling over the MOP Dovo SS. Lets not even get into the works of art I am seeing made by Maestro Livi.

Bob O.

Wow...to my surprise I log in to see my razor has been posted in the reviews section. I liked the tortoise look, but wasn't sure how it look in person. I was very happy when I opened it on Christmas and saw how stunning it was.

Funny thing...when you mentioned that I never responded I thought...huh...yeah I did. I let you know that basically I have ZERO experience with Straights...this is my first so of all of the options you provided I had no idea which way to go. I figured I would leave it in your hands and you would surely do what you felt was best. Well I just checked my PM box...and guess what. I closed the window apparently before sending it. So I do apologize Joel, but it looks like it all worked out in the end. Thanks again for your help on this endeavor.

As we speak my pasted paddle and hanging strop are on their way from Tony and I ordered a DVD from Lynn.

Kind of funny...haven't even shaved with a straight and I am already drooling over the MOP Dovo SS. Lets not even get into the works of art I am seeing made by Maestro Livi.

Bob O.

Good purchases! Your straight will be shipped back to ya today :biggrin: Should be ready (without the need to strop) right outta the box.... just for the love of peat, don't touch the edge, mess with it, etc - it's loverly just as it is.

As an aside... I'd suggest a Dovo Genuine MOP over a Maestro. I've got both, and personally prefer the dovo. I could see myself parting with the Maestro some day... with the MOP, never.

Good purchases! Your straight will be shipped back to ya today :biggrin: Should be ready (without the need to strop) right outta the box.... just for the love of peat, don't touch the edge, mess with it, etc - it's loverly just as it is.

As an aside... I'd suggest a Dovo Genuine MOP over a Maestro. I've got both, and personally prefer the dovo. I could see myself parting with the Maestro some day... with the MOP, never.

Thanks again Joel!

I have this razor in 6/8, but if I may add my two cents, I totally agree with the kudos given this beauty. First of all, it is just that...beautiful. The overall appearance of this straight alone would make it seem a good buy if it was twice the price. Mine was actually fairly sharp out of the box - surprisingly so. A few passes on my Norton's 8000 side was all that it needed to get it deadly sharp. And oh, does this thing shave wonderfully! Great balance, nice heft, the perfect weight ratio for me, and as smooth a shaver as I've ever tried.

All right, I've had enough! This is about the 8th glowing report I've seen on this particular model. So far I have about 7 "used" razors, at least 4 of them seem pretty nice.

My first new razor purchase will be this model. So stop it... :biggrin:

Thanks to all for the reviews, btw.

I have the 6/8. It was my 1st regular str8 and it has been a great shaver. It is easy to sharpen and shaves very smoothly.

The next str8 I bought was a Bismarck and it just doesn't seem to compare with the "Special." I find it harder to keep sharp and it doesn't shave as smoothly.

DaveS

Hello,
I have just posted a question in the straight razor section for suggestions on what to get for my first straight razor. Looks like this one gets very good reviews.

I am looking around for it online and finding about $120 new as an average price for a new dovo special with the imitation t-shell scales.

My questions would be is this a good price for a new one or do you have anywhere online you have ordered this model new and what else should I get with it? Note that I do want to sharpen my own blade so what is a basic kit I would need for this?

Classic Shaving has it for $106 currently. That's a nice razor and the first new one I bought as well. It seems Dovo has a little quality control issue though. The first Tortoise I bought had a "frowning" blade, so I sent it back and they sent me one that was "smiling"! AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG!! So after a sufficient time stewing about it, I sent it and a "Hess 44" off to Lynn at Straight Razor Designs for honing. My beard continues to grow and I'm nervously eyeing my electric--------just kidding! I still have my trusty HD and a sample pack to go through.

Top Bottom