What's new

Discussion for Merkur Slant Bar Review

Excellent review Kyle. The only thing I can really add is that a feather blade works better than a merkur blade in this razor. You are right that this razor demands respect.

I prefer the Israeli Personna blades in the Slant, especially on the "across" the grain pass, which is where I will pick up irritation if not careful.

Randy

I agree, I encourage Slant Bar users to experiment with various blades. You will be very surprised with the difference it makes.

Kyle,

Very well done and informative review of Merkur's most "mysterious" razor. I have read lots of post about this razor in the last few weeks and have discovered that there are more varied opinions of the Slant than there are shavers! This is definitely a razor that takes some time to master [I am not yet there] but is worth the effort, not only for the excellent BBS shaves it is capable of delivering, but for the benefit you discovered of refining and polishing your technique with the HD and FB.

Kyle said:
User Friendly - This razor is a lot like a good woman. If you respect her and handle her gently, tending to her needs, she will pamper you like a king and spoil you with a shave that is unmatched by any other razor. Also note, respect does not equal fear.

There are several gents, including myself, who have struggled during the first several shaves with the Slant Bar. Holding the handle of the razor higher (more parallel to the floor) than when using the HD combined with the execution of longer stroke length have proved to be two great adjustments for taming this razor (thank you, Joel, for pointing this out to me). Other than these two points, follow the same rules you would for any DE: no pressure, use reduction techniques, only shave lathered areas, etc. Not surprisingly, after using this razor for a while, I've found that it has improved my overall technique such that even shaves with my HD and Fatboy have been noticeably better.

Excellent pointers you emphasize here for Slant technique. I have even threatened to write "NO Pressure" across my mirror to remind myself of how to achieve an irritation free shave when using my Slant.

In the future I think I will use my Slant only on mornings I have plenty of time to practice the good Slant technique you recommend. When I was buying my first DE last year the clerk recommended the Slant as a great beginner's razor! I'm glad I didn't heed his advice; had I started with the Slant I would have probably retreated totally to the Sensor. Instead I bought a HD and have not regretted it at all. I have added a Classic, Classic Long Handle, Slant and Progress; the HD and the Classic are my favorite.

I will NEVER shave with a straight [it's not even a consideration with the mild tremor I have in my hands] so the Slant is my razor to conquer. Nothing like Propranolol as a pre-shave. :lol:

I'm not ready to call my Slant a "good woman" yet though...at this point I still jokingly call her "My Twisted Sister!" Nothing like shaving with your Twisted Sister! :yikes:

Also, your review has the best close up pics of the Slant I have seen, which is especially nice for those who have never actually seen one.

Andrew, Randy, & Rik - proving once again that personal mileage varies. The best blade in a slant bar for my face has ended up being the Derby (for whatever reason, these blades really agree with my face regardless of the razor they are in). Excellent advice, Rik...
I encourage Slant Bar users to experiment with various blades. You will be very surprised with the difference it makes.
Ron, I appreciate your kind words. There really is a lot of mystery surrounding this razor. I hope that the pics can help to clear up some of the long-standing questions.

Kyle,

Your reviews are excellent, thanks for taking the time that you do. I really can't add any personal experince at this point as I am an absolute neophyte still learning with my HD.

But, I look at the picture of the Slant Bar, and I see the blade sticking way out on the lower side, and I don't have respect - I have healthy fear. Maybe it's jus that I'm so new to this, but this must scare the hell out of a lot of men.

I do not see one of these in my collection, really, ever. I know, you can never say never, but in the spirit of Johnny Cash, if I'm going to buy another razor, I think I'll buy a ... Futur, or SuperSpeed or Parker - anything but Slant Bar!

You're a braver man than I. Braver, or, um... no, I'll stay with braver.

Peace,

Pierre

Pierre,

Before purchasing the slant, I was also very intimidated by its aggressive looks. Six months before, however, I was very intimidated by making the move from M3 to DE.

It is all a matter of perspective and experience. I would be willing to bet that between 6 months and a year from now, you will be the proud owner and experienced user of a slant bar.

Just unpacked my Slant. Feels a lot flimsier than the 38C but still nice. I seem to recall readng somewhere that the head needs to be lined up with the body in one direction only and that there are some notches that indicate which is the right way. On the the underside of the head I can see the number '1' and on the body the number '3'. Any clues?
Cheers
Jeremy

I like the pictures in the review, especially the close-up of the head! Is it just me, or does the blade look like it's sticking out further on the right than on the left? Is it supposed to be that way, or is it loaded improperly? Because it sure looks scary.

Thanks for a very comprehensive review. I have had good results with Feather blades as well as IPs in my Merkur Slant. I too was a bit nervous at the sight of the twisted naked edge the first time I shaved with mine. The anxiety quickly turned to a feeling of absolute pleasure as the razor glided across my cheek. As my screen name reflects, the slant style razor is my favorite and if I could only have one razor the Merkur Slant would be my choice.

The head being lined up only in one direction is for the Progress, not the Slant. And the points made above about different shavers experience with different brands of blades emphasizes again that blade preference is a very individual thing. You can recommend a blade to someone, but it's sort of pointless: he has to find out for himself whether that blade is good for him, and it may well not be.

On the slant, the blade is indeed more exposed at one end than another. But it works fine.

On the slant, the blade is indeed more exposed at one end than another. But it works fine.

When talking about blade exposure of Slants using expressions like "sticking out", there is potential confusion, depending on the direction from which one looks at the blade.

When looking from above, down onto the head, the blade is supposed to stick out uniformly from the cover. In other words, its exposure is uniform. When looking edge on, the distance between the blade edge and the guard beneath it increases from one end to the other. In this respect, the blade exposure varies.

There has been a number of threads discussing the apparently uneven "exposure" of the blade shown in the third picture of the original review of the Slant (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=24967).

Best - MM

Hey, I'm new here -- I swear, I'll post more, but my question here is of the UTMOST importance:

Ready?

How is this...on acne?

A history tale: my dad used to shave with a double edge razor. Suddenly, the local store stopped selling blades for said razor due to "economic reasons". My dad now has a full beard.

With this in mind, when I started shaving I always had a desire to try a double edge (yes, I was recruited into the mach3 mob :() -- afterall, if it was so good that my dad STOPPED shaving when the option was unavailable to him, surely it was really good?

And now, I have tried that. I picked a razor (somewhat-arbitrarily) off the classicshaving website -- a "Merkur Classic 1904 - Open Comb." I've been using this for a couple weeks (I don't shave *that* often though...I'm sixteen), and it's been fun. Not super smooth, but fun nonetheless.

There's a problem though -- I have acne, and the only cuts I get (now) are from hitting pimples, and it hurts a lot (the cut itself, and the stypticing that results). So, I refer back to my question:

How is the slant on acne?

A slant is a very aggressive razor, at your age and still having some acne, I wouldn't recommend a Slant. Also using an Open Comb (which you do use now) is more aggressive than you may want. IMO the best razor for you is a Merkur HD (aka Heavy Duty, aka Heavy Classic) It's a gentle razor, but still capable of handling a tough beard.

Well, I was judging the aggressiveness from the reviews on http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1788

When I bought my razor, I couldn't imagine a website like this (which shows a bit of stupidity on my part), so I couldn't just buy "recommended" gear. But, the razor I have is a definite improvement over the 'ol mach3 in every way possible -- price, closeness, irritation, cuts, and enjoyability.

I've heard of the HD, I just thought I may as well go all out. I'll step back a bit and get that -- thanks :)

Well, I was judging the aggressiveness from the reviews on http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1788

When I bought my razor, I couldn't imagine a website like this (which shows a bit of stupidity on my part), so I couldn't just buy "recommended" gear. But, the razor I have is a definite improvement over the 'ol mach3 in every way possible -- price, closeness, irritation, cuts, and enjoyability.

I've heard of the HD, I just thought I may as well go all out. I'll step back a bit and get that -- thanks :)

Agressiveness is up for the debate on the Open Comb, but it is nearly universal that the Slant is very aggressive. If you are getting good results from your razor, don't worry and keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Top Bottom