What's new

Discussion for Merkur Slant Bar Review

Great review Kyle. I bought a slant last week for a bit of a change after using a straight for about 14 months, having used a slant a little before that.

My slant arrived but was not a slant. The shop had sent me a normal Merkur HD (model 34) handle/body with a Merkur Slant (model 37) head. At first glance it looked ok and fitted together ok. I actually used it for a few days with really bad results until I stumbled across your thread and saw the great photo's you'd posted. It was only then I realised the mistake! :eek:

I don't know how common it is for Merkur to mix up heads and handles, but it's well worth checking a new razor against a decent photo of what it should look like.

I took mine back to the shop and they changed it, and of course the replacement (a 100% Merkur Slant) is just a superb shave.

I noticed the plating finish isn't wonderful on mine though. A few people have mentioned this and my razor has quite a few blemishes inside it under the head, and between some of the combs. It's not bad enough to return (again), but it's irritating.

Great review Kyle. I bought a slant last week for a bit of a change after using a straight for about 14 months, having used a slant a little before that.

My slant arrived but was not a slant. The shop had sent me a normal Merkur HD (model 34) handle/body with a Merkur Slant (model 37) head. At first glance it looked ok and fitted together ok. I actually used it for a few days with really bad results until I stumbled across your thread and saw the great photo's you'd posted. It was only then I realised the mistake! :eek:

I don't know how common it is for Merkur to mix up heads and handles, but it's well worth checking a new razor against a decent photo of what it should look like.

I took mine back to the shop and they changed it, and of course the replacement (a 100% Merkur Slant) is just a superb shave.

I noticed the plating finish isn't wonderful on mine though. A few people have mentioned this and my razor has quite a few blemishes inside it under the head, and between some of the combs. It's not bad enough to return (again), but it's irritating.

Thanks. :blush:

It seems as though there was definitely a bad batch or two of Merkurs that made it past inspection, though this is the first time I've heard of a blunder as big as what happened to you.

I received a 1904 Classic (patterned handle) that was slightly bent so that the head sat at an angle. I've yet to get a hold of any with plating issues, however. Sounds like I've been fortunate.

Due to the review I have now ordered the slant bar. I look foreward to using it and I'm sure it will give at least the same results if not better than my English Gillette Tech and my Merkur Futur.:w00t:

I've been a Merkur Slant user for about 8 years. Loved 90% of the time with the razor. Haven't changed my blades or my shaving cream or my technique. Over the last 8 months, something has gone wrong and I don't know what. Now my face is getting badly nicked up with each shave, and the razor doesn't seem to shave evenly on each side.

I've tried the different blade alignment techniques and nothing has helped. For my first few years with the slant bar, I never worried about blade alignment - just dropped in the blade and screwed the razor shut - and never had a problem.

Do these razors change over time in a way that has caused the whole alignment to be out of whack? I'm pretty sure the razor has fallen out of the medicine cabinet a few times and hit the basin. Can they bend??

I'm debating whether to buy a brand new slant bar and see if that helps, or whether to go in a different direction because my face has changed and I need something different...

biker,

I wouldn't think the razor has been bent unless you can visually see it.

I also don't think the direction of the hairs on your face change. I could be wrong about it but mine has remained constant since I first started shaving and I'm now 39 years old. I would, however, think that there could be enough variations in your skin sensitivity throughout the years that it's entirely possible you may need to revisit finding a brand a blade. I know that's not that fun but it may be the answer for you. Of course buying another slant isn't a bad idea either. And if it doesn't turn out to be the razor...then you've got another cool razor...win/win!:w00t:

Sweet review. I've been using a parker 71r, it's been doing me no favours, especially with derbys in it. I looked for the HD in both long and short handles and no-one had it in stock, so I went with the slant. I know the learning curve is supposed to be really steep, but i'll deal with it. It's got to be better than what i'm getting atm.

Great review. I agree. I have maybe two months trying different DE razors and recently purchased a classic Hoffritz slant head travel razor. Haven't cut myself, but agree that they do require a good dose of respect. I shave rather slowly which is probably my saving grace. There is a classic Merkur slant head I am currently bidding on and am looking toward purchasing a Merkur 39C in the near future. They all have design differences and I look forward to checking them all out. But with that being said, the slant head design is quickly becoming my favorite.

A very good review after some time and as always very nicely written. It's getting so tempting to try one . I think the vicious RAD lifting its head now.....

Thanks for sharing kyle

A very good review after some time and as always very nicely written. It's getting so tempting to try one . I think the vicious RAD lifting its head now.....

Thanks for sharing kyle

You really can't go wrong with a Slant Bar Razor. I think everyone should try one.

OMG...I just got my gold Slant today and shaved with it. It is so much nicer in person than in pictures. I've only been using a DE for a month (Merkur 38C Barber Pole). This AD thing is gonna be a problem (got another brush also)...and I have no SWMBO, so I have no one to stop me :ihih: Anyways, I loaded up a blade with two shaves on it already and the shave was GREAT! I know YMMV and all that, but I don't get it why this razor is "aggressive". It isn't that the results were better than my 38C, but the shave was considerably smoother and more enjoyable. I was also surprised that I actually like the shorter handle and lighter weight. It felt like I had more control. I'm sure that also contributed to the shave as well as the slanted blade. A brand new Feather is going in it on Monday and I can't wait! I feel sad for my 38C now cause I know it'll get neglected :sad:

I am a NOOB as most would define me to DE shaving. I however chose to go with this slant for my first. Did my research on proper technique and prep for a good shave. Have had no irritation or nicks yet and 5 shaves down. Leaps and bounds over when I had switched to a new cartridge razor. I look forward to the many shaves to come with this razor.

Top Bottom