What's new

GIVEAWAY! Discovery PIF - Your Amazing Adventure Begins With A Great Shave!!

Dec. 24: I’ve been busy!
Anyway, great first shave in Old Type for the Eddison. No cuts, no complaints, near BBS.
3F491BFC-FE7C-4DCC-948E-08265769D282.jpeg

Finding my way: Chapter 31
DecemBOAR Shave 13

1672107276862.png

Flask's Adventure Pack Contents:

Blade: Timor #3 (4)
Razor: Gillette Superspeed
Pre shave: The Tube 2.0
Soap: Stirling Piacenza sample in a stick
Brush: 2014 B&B Essential Boar

The adventure slowly draws to a close.

This was the final shave for Timor #3, the last of the Tuneful Trio of Tenable Timors that came to grace my shaving den. Dulling oddly quickly this time, this last Timor kicked the door a bit on it's way out with a nice rough patch on my neck and one tiny nick on the jawline.

Super close, smooth shave in two passes though. Thoroughly a success and what little drama manifested was dispatched with some cooling Nivea balm.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

836FF4B1-1C11-483E-8351-B0150B35382B.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 10 Eddison final week of the Discovery Adventure.​

Discovery Adventure week 10. Final week of this Discovery Adventure and using the last blade that I have the Israeli Eddison Stainless blade. Another great shave today, everything went well and I hope that this blade lasts the week and gives me great shaves as Eddison Blades have done so far during this Adventure.

Amazing Adventure
Dec. 26, 2022

Razor: Razorock German 37, first use
Blade: Eddison, use two
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Bay Rum

I was excited to receive my first slant, and the first modern razor I’ve used since I got up to speed DE shaving, for Christmas. I couldn’t wait to use it, so I took the blade I had used in the Old Type and swapped it in here.

I’m not sure what I expected, but the first two passes weren’t any different than other razors. Had some tugging and resistance. One big thing was that the handle of the razor (I think it’s the HD), weighs a ton, so I had to compensate for that.

Against the grain and cleanup is where the difference really showed up. I got very close indeed, and a number of cuts to show for it. But that’s a good thing for a first use; if I knew it couldn’t shave close enough to cut me, I would know the razor was at its limits. With this, I know that I have room to improve technique and the prospect of a super-close shave.

All told, the styptic did its job and the shave was an almost eerily smooth BBS nearly everywhere that is taking a long time to grow out. Much more shaving to come with this razor!

Date
365 days of shaving364/360
(100%)
GRUME December26/30 (97%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving midway to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (S-N)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette TechTimor (2)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)7/10 (neck weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+)
7.5/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

A fine shave using the flat Bottom Tech. The blade still isn’t great for me, but it behaved better than yesterday. The result today was a quite long lasting BBS-ish level.

But more importantly my son has his first DE shave! And got great first time results.

The Roma performed wonderfully today and I can only tell it apart from the T3 by their backbones. Very glad with both brushes!

Enjoy your shave today!

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

80E6544D-9232-4B73-B585-D83844FDCC82.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 10 Eddison Stainless.​

Discovery Adventure Week 10 Eddison Stainless and the last week of this amazing Discovery Adventure. Another great shave today, no nicks, cuts or redness of any kind. Just a really great shave with a really great blade. I can’t add much more but I had a great start to the day today.

Date
365 days of shaving365/361
(100%)
GRUME December27/30 (97%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving midway to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (S-N)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBTimor (3)Omega Super Badger 632
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9.5/10 (BBS and near Marble)
7.5/10 (Smooth yet harsh)

Notes to today’s shave:

Another amazing shave with my Timeless. Even throwing in a bad blade such as the Timor it still performs. Never uncomfortable, never irritated, but it was a harsher shave than usual with the Ti95. I subsequently retired the blade. I am into longevity, but not at the expense of comfort. The Timor blade did the job though: near marble in places and a very close shave. Maybe too close in places as even the cold splash post shave stung in places.

And so the second blade exploration in this adventure comes to an end. The Timor proved to be a two headed blade: some shaves were amazing, some really harsh. Not a blade I would stock up on, also taking its pricing into account.

The Omega was fun to use again. My first brush and is as floppy as paper at the moment, but lathers great and has great face feel.

Haslinger keeps performing and no sign of me 3017-ing it.

Enjoy you shave today!

Finding my way: Chapter 32
DecemBOAR Shave 14

1672292431981.png

Blade: Bolzano #3 (1)
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (5)
Soap: PAA Atomic Pumpkin
Brush: Omega Jade

To celebrate my new holiday giveaway winnings I broke my DecemBOAR extra challenge of only face lathering with a stick - I just HAD to try out the new Captain's Choice lathering bowl today. It's great, it's a much more chill and rewarding lathering experience than the random coffee mug I've been using.

1672293338260.png

The Fatboy is new as well, it's shave of firsts. Talk about an adventure! First impression...My Slim is in trouble.

As new things arrive other things finish and the wheel turns. This is the first shave of the last blade I have in my first Blade PIF, here at the end of the Adventure!

Tom Cruise What GIF

The third's Bolzano's first shave was pretty good. It's sharp and not too rough. I just need to remember to stop before 5-6 uses this time, we don't want a repeat of the Irritation Trials we experienced towards the end of the last Superinox. I'm rubbing my face right now and like what I'm feeling.

I hope everyone is having a great holiday week!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

ED0B154E-C573-4D72-A824-4E1B9458BF9C.jpeg

Discovery Adventure week 10 and the final week of this Discovery Adventure. Not many shaves left in this Adventure and if they keep up like the last few shaves then I am not happy that the Adventure is finishing. Another great shave with the Eddison Stainless and only three more to go until this 10 week journey ends.

Amazing Adventure
Dec. 28, 2022

Razor: Razorock German 37, second use
Blade: Eddison, use three
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Bay Rum

After a brisk bloody wake-up using the slant for the first time, I gave the Eddison another shave in the German 37 and it was easily up to the job.

I’m enjoying the extra efficiency of the razor, so much so that I have to back off in spots where I could shave too close. That said, I backed off the mustache against the grain, leaving it short of BBS, as I met enough resistance to know there would be blood.

I’m eager to keep exploring this razor. It feels like a whole new world opened for me.

View attachment 1579195

Discovery Adventure week 10 and the final week of this Discovery Adventure. Not many shaves left in this Adventure and if they keep up like the last few shaves then I am not happy that the Adventure is finishing. Another great shave with the Eddison Stainless and only three more to go until this 10 week journey ends.
Out of curiosity Andrew, are you using the Tech solely for this challenge or is it your go-to / daily driver? And prewar or flat bottom perhaps?

Thanks,

Guido

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Out of curiosity Andrew, are you using the Tech solely for this challenge or is it your go-to / daily driver? And prewar or flat bottom perhaps?

Thanks,

Guido
I have been using the Flat Bottomed Tech for the whole challenge. I usually change my blade and razor everyday Monday morning. I wanted to keep using the same razor so that apart from using different soaps and brushes etc the razor remained the same one for the whole challenge.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

B8F9FBC6-5314-44CC-A978-C7BE0411A6B6.jpeg

Discovery Adventure week 10 and last blade in the Adventure the lovely Eddison Stainless.
Another great shave today, shave number 5 on the last blade in the Adventure. A really great shave today, nice and close with nothing out of the ordinary to report but a really great shave. Great blade and very sad that the Discovery Adventure finishes for me in just two days time.

Bolzano blade #3, shave #2

Razor: Henson AL13 V1+
Soap: Arko
Brush: Generic badger that I bought off of Amazon (that I actually really like)
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive balm

Very nice shave this morning. We're on vacation with some friends and so I'm not in my normal shave den. I shaved with this blade a couple of days ago, and it was okay. I think that most of that was due to being out of my standard environment and feeling a bit of a rush to get outta the bathroom. Boy, today...what a difference. Great shave today. Very comfortable, very close, very enjoyable. The Bolzano blades have been a pleasant surprise.

Finding my way: Chapter 33
DecemBOAR Shave 15

1672455624986.png

Blade: Bolzano #3 (2)
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (4)
Soap: ARKO!!!
Bowl: Captain's Choice Sage Lather Bowl
Brush: Zenith B33

Not the smoothest shaver, the Bolzano, but it's not a bad blade. It's in it's sweet spot now on shave two and it delivered an enjoyable shave this morning. Part of today's shaving adventure was using Arko for the first time!! WOW! Super easy to lather. A very strong scent :).

We're really closing down the bar here, the thread is slowing down a bit. Soon we'll all be back home from the journey.

sad john candy GIF by IFC

I really had fun on this Adventure, my first blade Giveaway event. Thank you @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for a few months of shaving excitement! I hope you both have a great new year!

Top Bottom