What's new

GIVEAWAY! Discovery PIF - Your Amazing Adventure Begins With A Great Shave!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

33C3A516-8C87-4827-A746-C45C605AD805.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 6 Bolzano revisit.​

Discovery Adventure week number 6 and using the German Bolzano on a revisit. Another pretty good shave today, using Israeli Menthol Shaving Cream and an Omega 10066 brush for the first time. No dramas today, just a good shave to start my Friday.

Bolzano Blade #2, Shave #5

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Bolzano (5)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Brush: Yaqi Ferrari
Soap: Cooper & French Santa’s Workshop
Balm: Cooper & French Santa’s Workshop

Smooth and efficient again

We adventured our way home over the mountains. This unfortunate incident was keeping us from following the water level route home:
37F84D22-8704-432B-BD40-8EE63B0EC3B1.jpeg

So we climbed along the narrow, racing rivers and over the snowy pass. I only had to follow a snow plow for 15 or 20 minutes. Worth the hassle to get home for a simple Bolzano bedtime shave.

Gillette fat handle pre-war Tech
Bolzano 7th use
VDH melted and mentholated to eye-watering levels, now in stick form
Klenzo vintage badger and boar brush
Texas 10X homemade mint-scented vodka+menthol AS, chill indeed

7BD9F395-CCD6-402E-B9BB-518FE105EE49.jpeg

Great shave, gave the worst neck maelstrom the calm surface that the Timor could not impart yesterday.

EDDISON ● BLADE 3 ● SHAVE 4
20221201_154719-01.jpeg

It's time to kiss this blade goodbye.
The fourth shave was another nice one, but I noticed a faint redness on my neck in postshave... a clear sign the time has come to retire this Eddison and to switch blades. However, today's shave resulted in a two pass DFS, no nicks. So it's been a proper shave.

I'm going to flip a coin if the next blade will be the Bolzano or the Timor.

Enjoy your adventurous shaves, y'all!

Bolzano blade two, Shave #9 (and done)

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Rudy Vey/EverReady 2-band
Soap: PdP #63
Splash: Pinaud clubman

Comment: 8.5/10 shave today, comfortable just not close enough. Time to change this blade after a fine run!!:a29::a29:

Amazing Adventure
Dec. 2. 2022
(Cross-posting on Decemboar 2022)

IMG_9765.jpg

Razor: NEW short comb
Blade: Bolzano, second use

Bolzano came back to earth after a great first shave. The second was still good, but I got cocky in the mustache and attacked the tricky corners too hard, ending with a few weepers in the same spot. None persisted after the shave, but not ideal. A couple other fleeting weepers and a little irritation in the tricky under-chin/under-jaw area. Still a good shave.

I did seem to note some diminished sharpness in the blade, but maybe I'm imagining it. I'll give it another shave, for sure, and approach it more cautiously and humbly.

Bolzano Blade #2, Shave #6

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Bolzano (6)
Brush: Yaqi synthetic
Soap: Mama Bear’s Sleigh Ride
Aftershave: Bootlegger’s Eldorado

3 weepers. I am switching razors tomorrow to see if the problem is razor, blade or a combination. But, despite the nicks, a DFS+ shave.

9324A2FB-AD03-474A-B622-E693BA0E883A.jpeg

Blade: Eddison #1, Edge #2, Shave #8 (16th overall)
Razor: Gillette Fatboy on #5
Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve
Brush: Restored HMW
Aftershave: Thayer's Cranberry Orange Mist WH, then Zingari Man Unscented PSB

ADVENTURE:

For today's shave, I went back to the Fatboy after a couple of really busy days. After 2 passes and some buffing, I settled for a DFS+. The lather was rich and creamy, and the shave felt good, but unless I wanted to chase the baby, DFS was as good as I was going to get. Time to play Taps for this blade.

End of round 2.

33CB7FB9-D971-4970-8145-5134F2339675.jpeg

Fatboy Friday / Clubman Friday / DecemBoar

Pre: P.A.A. Cube 2.0 w/ Cube Dock

Razor: T.R. Cadman & Sons "Bengall"
Razor: Gillette Adjustable "Fatboy" (1958 D4)
Blade: Eddison Super Stainless (D10)

Soap: Barrister & Mann 42
Brush: Omega Boar 10005/80005
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegital
Post 4: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Extra-Dry w/ Hyaluronic Acid

As you know, I've been on this journey of straight razor shaving, for less than I think, 10 shaves. And up until today I've only been doing with-the-grain passes, excluding the last one or two shaves where I added in an across-the-grain pass (going from the outside in). Well, today my friends I dared to go against-the-grain! Yes, you heard me correct. I pushed into new territory today.

It was fun and actually not that different than any of the other passes. You just have to keep focused and keep a steady hand. 😬

So truth be told, I only went against-the-grain on my neck. I didn't do it on my face. I'll get to it but wanted to leave some fun for the Fatboy seeing as I haven't used one in what feels like a really long time.

I whipped up some absolutely amazing lather with my Omega boar and some, new to me, Barrister & Mann 42 soap. I did this in my lovely Bluff Cove Pottery bowl. The smell of this lather was fantastic. It's definitely floral but is very pleasant and refined. I really pick up on the petunia scent. The scent profile as a whole is just great. I definitely recommend it if you're curious. I don't think you can go wrong with this one but if for some reason you don't like it, I'll take it off your hands. 😉

All in all I did a four-pass shave. Three with the Bengall and one with the Fatboy. This resulted in a beautiful bbs finish. I'm very happy with this shave to say the least.

I then proceeded to top things off with the often controversial and never mistaken Pinaud Lilac Vegital aftershave. What can I say but "The Veg" loves me and I love it.

There you have it gentlemen. Another great shave in the books.

Happy Friday everyone. Enjoy your shaves!

We adventured our way home over the mountains. This unfortunate incident was keeping us from following the water level route home:
View attachment 1565566

So we climbed along the narrow, racing rivers and over the snowy pass. I only had to follow a snow plow for 15 or 20 minutes. Worth the hassle to get home for a simple Bolzano bedtime shave.

Woah - that's a serious adventure! You might be winning the "spirit" award for this Giveaway at this point.

EDDISON ● BLADE 3 ● SHAVE 4
View attachment 1565598
It's time to kiss this blade goodbye.
The fourth shave was another nice one, but I noticed a faint redness on my neck in postshave... a clear sign the time has come to retire this Eddison and to switch blades. However, today's shave resulted in a two pass DFS, no nicks. So it's been a proper shave.

I'm going to flip a coin if the next blade will be the Bolzano or the Timor.

Enjoy your adventurous shaves, y'all!
PAA Future Fiction is one of my fave's - actually, everything in your kit is. Excellent choices!

Finding my way: Chapter 18

I apologize for the reporting gap, the holidays were crazy! Good times, for sure, but definitely a collision of life/work peak busy moments.

I got a 4th and 5th shave (wow!) in with the Bolzano before I sent it to the mini-altoids tin of blade Valhalla. I switched to the Slim (setting 5, thank you @Time Bandit for the suggestion to crank it a bit) and the larger blade gap seemed to really agree with this blade, these last two shaves seemed smoother and more efficient than the two before it.

The first shave with Timor #2 was, as expected, somewhat rough and not very sharp feeling. But I think we all know these Timor's improve with some exercise.

I don't have a great personal adventure story, but I got a text from my sister this morning. Her family recently got a kitten and it's full of love and a lust for killing, like most kittens are. It's been sleeping in my niece's room most evenings. Last night, she's sleeping away, hard. Around 2am, suddenly...

1670034900499.png

Late Night Kitten Attack! That little monster is like Kato from the Inspector Clouseau movies, seriously. Ok, did I just date myself with that reference?! :laugh:

Flask's Adventure Pack Contents:

Blade
: Timor #2 (1)
Razor: Gillette Slim (5)
Pre shave: Shower
Soap: Tabac
AS: Clubman
Brush: RV Muhle 25mm STF

1670035139829.png

Important note, this was the shave from the 30th - I didn't cheat for DecemBoar! Tonight is going to be my first Boar Event Shave and I'm pretty excited to hit that pig whistle.

I'm just going to admit something here - I'm a little homesick for my Nacet's and Gillette Ninja's!! We've all been on this adventure for a while now and part of me is ready to get home and use my own pillow again. Makes sense - I'm a little more than halfway though the adventure now. Perfect time to get homesick :).

Two more blades to go after this Timor, maybe I'll be home for xmas? Occasionally, I catch them glaring at me accusingly from the drawer. I really don't take lip from my stuff so I just slam it closed to show them who's boss. That being said, as a new wet shaver this adventure has been hugely educational. Trying to evaluate a blade and compare it to others has required a level of concentration that's accelerated the evolution of my technique and the sometimes subtle differences between blades. A blade event like this, with the onus to muse and report on the experience, is perfect for newbies like me.

Thank you @Grundi and @Space_Cadet!! This has been a perfect way to kick start that understanding.

This was my first "official" posting of a Tabac shave, I feel compelled to mention. This is the vegan formula, my first experience with Tabac - and I like it! It's a great performing soap for sure. Yes, finally, now I get the "old lady" description of the scent. For sure, yeah, that's an apt description. But it grows on you, gives you cookies and brings over fresh bread once in a while and after a bit you start to like it. I've been using it to test lather my new boar brushes :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

E8F41C39-19A7-4ED9-8B30-D59D65DAD65B.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 6 Bolzano revisit.​

Discovery Adventure week 6 Bolzano blade revisit. A good start to Saturday, a good three pass shave with the Bolzano and using the Israeli Menthol Shaving Cream again as I broke the top yesterday. I have been using this Shaving Cream very sparingly since it was Piffed to me by @Space_Cadet quite a while ago. I will have to use it up now and it is an excellent cream.

Got de-railed by de mail call. My RazoRock L3 Superslant arrived as the winter sun went down.

Slants are of German origin, Timor is German in manufacture and branding, Tabac is sure German, my beautiful 'REINE BORSTE' generic boar is German, and adidas is both German and topical during the World Cup. So...

ED1731BE-4118-47AF-8035-89F4DF422D90.jpeg

Yep, broke out my second/last Timor and shaved with a razor that will prevent any blade comparisons. Who cares! Glorious, fast, and ultimately close shave. Timor can play with the big boys and shave with the dolphins, at least on shave 1.

The LOTH almost banished me from the dinner table for using the adidas Dynamic Pulse AS right before our meal, but she shared a great insight into Tabac during the ensuing discussion of shave product scents.

The 'old lady's purse' diss? That's due to the leathery base note in the Tabac scent profile. We Tabac appreciators just need to invoke saddles and chaps (Cowboys! Western Adventure!) to get our self-respect back.

Got de-railed by de mail call. My RazoRock L3 Superslant arrived as the winter sun went down.

Slants are of German origin, Timor is German in manufacture and branding, Tabac is sure German, my beautiful 'REINE BORSTE' generic boar is German, and adidas is both German and topical during the World Cup. So...

View attachment 1566149

Yep, broke out my second/last Timor and shaved with a razor that will prevent any blade comparisons. Who cares! Glorious, fast, and ultimately close shave. Timor can play with the big boys and shave with the dolphins, at least on shave 1.

The LOTH almost banished me from the dinner table for using the adidas Dynamic Pulse AS right before our meal, but she shared a great insight into Tabac during the ensuing discussion of shave product scents.

The 'old lady's purse' diss? That's due to the leathery base note in the Tabac scent profile. We Tabac appreciators just need to invoke saddles and chaps (Cowboys! Western Adventure!) to get our self-respect back.
Congratulations on the new hardware. I have a new found appreciation for slants after spending a week with a Konsul. I don't own any Slant razors but would love to. Some day...

Either way, I'm glad you picked up a new razor and had fun using it. That's what it's all about, right?

I also really like your suggestion on representing Tabac. "Saddles and chaps". That's great in my opinion. I'm definitely going this route the next time the subject comes up.

Curious though, where did that brush come from?

Top Bottom