What's new

GIVEAWAY! Discovery PIF - Your Amazing Adventure Begins With A Great Shave!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

16E1030D-8C5A-474A-A04D-C9025B783549.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 6 Bolzano Revisit.​

Discovery Adventure Week 6 Bolzano Revisit. Shave number 3 on the Bolzano revisit this morning. A good shave with a weird finish. I did my usual three pass shave and went to rinse my face clean. I felt a sharp sting, like when you are picking up broken glass and a small shard sticks to your skin and when you brush it off it nicks your skin and cuts you. I looked at my face and I had a bleeding nick on my chin just under my lips. Really weird as the blade was nowhere near my face at the time. Anyway the shave was good just a confusing finish.

View attachment 1564456

Discovery Adventure Week 6 Bolzano Revisit.​

Discovery Adventure Week 6 Bolzano Revisit. Shave number 3 on the Bolzano revisit this morning. A good shave with a weird finish. I did my usual three pass shave and went to rinse my face clean. I felt a sharp sting, like when you are picking up broken glass and a small shard sticks to your skin and when you brush it off it nicks your skin and cuts you. I looked at my face and I had a bleeding nick on my chin just under my lips. Really weird as the blade was nowhere near my face at the time. Anyway the shave was good just a confusing finish.
So the Bolzano turns out to be a mystery blade.

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving337/333
(100%)
GRUME30/30 (100%)
NOCvember
30/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SC
Eddison (10)
Omega 632 Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9.5/10 (~15 minutes)9.5/10 (Tiniest weepers on the)
EffectivenessComfort
9.5/10 (Marble-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

To end November I took out my Timeless. Still paired with the Eddison blade and together they performed exquisitely. An almost perfect shave with a marble finish except for under the nose. In fact I had a @CCS moment - I felt one or two whiskers under the nose so I had to go back after the shave and take care of those.

The Eddison is double digits now and still performing well. I do think the performance has come down with consecutive shaves, but in terms of smoothness and comfort it is very consistent.

The Omega brush with @tjsgarden TipDip method made for an excellent Proraso lather. The lather provided wonderful glide and protection.

Floïd's let me know this was a really close shave and Nivea came to the rescue to provide coolness and nutrition to the skin.

Excellent shave!!

EDDISON ● BLADE 3 ● SHAVE 2

20221128_104708-01-01-01-01.jpg
I'm cathing up with yesterday's evening shave. The ATT CR1 razor offered a smooth and easy shave with just a hint of blade feel of the Eddison (2), but with a rather loud audio feedback. I literally could here the whiskers scream... 😉
Two passes plus touch-ups... almost BBS. No blemishes.

Onward to shave no. 3.

Have some great shaves,y'all!

Discovery Adventure - Timor Stainless - Blade #2, Shave #2

TL;DR:
Nope, yesterday's ordeal was no fluke, as the blade continues to struggle

Equipment: Gillette Gold Tech, Timor Stainless(2), Palmolive Classic Shave Cream

The Shave: After yesterday's rough go, I held out hope that maybe the blade would smooth out for Shave #2. Nope, turns out, this Time blade is just not up to the task (or doesn't pair well with a Gillette Tech). The Palmolive Classic made a nice lather base, and the Tech was at the ready. The shave was rough and a bit painful, but no weepers or lasting irritation. Binning this Timor blade after 2 shaves. Hopefully we've cut through the worst of it and make it back onto the trail tomorrow.

PS: Happy upcoming anniversary, @Guido75!! Great milestone!!

After PS: @BigJ, the renovations are going well, gutted one of our bathrooms (we have 2, thankfully) right to the timbers, leveled the floor and walls, rearranged things a bit, and are now starting the drywall. Doing most of the work myself after getting home from my regular job. I actually like the carpentry and electrical part (I'm slow but like that type of work). The demolition and plumbing are not my forte.

Congrats on the progress! One thing I learned during a similar situation is that drywall is not my favorite job!!

Bolzano Blade #2, Shave #4
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Bolzano (4)
Brush: Ever Ready 500
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Soap: AOS Peppermint
Aftershave: Bootleggers Perfecto Virginia

Again a comfortable shave. Easy DFSF+. I am enjoying this blade.

Discovery Adventure - Eddison Stainless - Blade #2, Shave #2

TL;DR:
Shave #2 was very similar to Shave #1, smooth and close, but with a weeper

Equipment: Gillette Gold Tech, Eddison Stainless(2), RR Acqua Cream Soap

The Shave: Kept everything the same and the results were consistent with yesterday's shave. RR Acqua provided a good lather base, and the Gillette Tech/Eddison Blade combination performed nicely. I did get a weeper which was more due to operator error than the blade.

My Discovery Adventure sadly comes to an end. Wednesday's shave was with the Eddison blade 3, shave 6, in the Maxwell June razor. A two-pass shave that resulted in an decent result, DFS-; there just wasn't enough sharpness left in the blade today.

Thanks so much again to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for a wonderful blade adventure that lasted almost seven weeks! These blade challenges have been a blast and I do hope they continue.

My take on the three blades has been positive for both the Eddison and Bolzano, and less so for the Timor, which I just didn't connect with. Overall, the experience has been great and illustrates that no matter how long we're at this shaving hobby of ours, there is always more to experience and learn.

Today's implements: Maxwell June twinned DE razor, Simpson best brush, and Fine L'Orange Noir soap and AS- a nice way to finish my adventure with these three blades.

Be well all!

PXL_20221130_181016679.PORTRAIT.jpg

Amazing Adventure
Bolzano, Shave One
Nov. 30, 2022
Razor: Gillette NEW short comb

I moved on after a single shave with the Timor and tried the Bolzano, a blade that, by contrast, I didn’t have high expectations for. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised. This was a fantastic shave.

The first pass didn’t really wow me and seemed to leave hair a little long. It really came along for the second pass, picking up everything I’d expect and more. So much that I threw caution to the wind and went right for an against-the-grain pass without the prep pass I often do.

The Bolzano really shined here, cutting through my mustache and the upper edges that I figured would give me weepers if I plowed through. It didn’t, though. In fact, except for a bump that usually gets planed off and a little spot under my jaw, there were no other weepers (the first of these closed on the second pass).

I ended up either BBS or as near it as is possible to achieve with my gear. My face just felt so good and smooth. I could just make out a hint of stubble a couple hours later, but I’m fairly sure it was smooth immediately after the shave.

Nice surprise and I’m eager to see what the next shave brings!

Thanks so much again to @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for a wonderful blade adventure that lasted almost seven weeks! These blade challenges have been a blast and I do hope they continue.
I love these, also, and have a blast participating in them. @Space_Cadet and @AnimalCatcher have been so amazing finding these blades and very generous providing them. A "secret message" that I found carved into a mystical rock that I passes by mentioned that a portal to yesteryears top-tier blades had been accessed by those two and that 2023 will start off with a couple of...well, I don't want to give too much away.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

69FD63C0-5A0C-4199-A3BF-C9EE5327090B.jpeg

Discovery Adventure Week 6 Bolzano revisit.​

Discovery Adventure week number 6 Bolzano revisit. A good shave today, no mystery nicks, cuts just a darn good shave with the Bolzano. After a month of using shaving creams and bowl lathering I have gone back to soaps and face lathering. Used Derby soap today and it is another great cheap Turkish soap in the same vein as Arko.

EDDISON ● BLADE 3 ● SHAVE 3

20221130_082918-01.jpeg

Shave no. 3 with the Eddison, another dramafree outing. Perhaps the blade already starts to fade in terms of the initial crispness, but I don’t expect to have any issues in terms of sharpness regarding shave no. 4.
Today, two passes were needed only to reach a true BBS. The high gapped Wolfman is an efficiency beast... but very realiable when a bloodless shave result is needed. And the Eddison is a good match...

So... onward to shave no. 4!

Enjoy your adventurous rides... 😀

"Traveling, traveling, all my life..."
"What a long, strange trip it's been..."
Some adventurous song lyrics, kind of bluesy. I'm awake early, far from home, finishing yesterday's interrupted post, and listening to the heavy, intermittent rain squalls blowing in off the Pacific.
680DB539-C094-485A-BF88-467EC580A0CE.jpeg

... The Timor has lost a step, but only on its toughest task. Cleanup of my worst trouble spot was below my standard, in spite of the Arko's contribution. I will probably give the Bolzano the next shave, this evening, once we are back across the mountains.

Should have put the chains in the car. There is snow up there, even in the low passes. Take the Columbia River route and stay low? I might ski the volcano on Friday, get my mind off old blues tunes...

Date
365 days of shaving338/334
(100%)
GRUME December1/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
NEW ImprovedTimor (3)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Face lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

With NOCvember closed it was time to bring out the open combs again! And the NEW Improved begged me to be used. I loaded the razor with the second Timor blade from the Blade Discovery Adventure on its third run and the combination delivered a smooth and comfortable ride.

In terms of technique I more closely followed my beard map and paid extra attention to letting the razor do the work (i.e. no pressure). Worked really well. I could have done just two passes as the first pass was mega effective, but I felt the blade being harsher on the first ATG strokes on the neck and so I switched back to a usual three pass shave. That turned out to be a good idea and BBS was the ensuing result.

Using the Omega Proraso I loaded the Bergamot for a nice face lather. This brush - although boar - is very soft and floppy to the face. Face lathering makes it less thirsty than bowl lathering for some reason and so I went with that. Dutchy Bergamot is only available from my local shaving shop and it is a wonderful, easy scent as well as providing an excellent post shave feeling to the skin.

Great first day of December I would say. Enjoy yours!

Eddison Blade #2 Shave #1
Tools: Henson ++ Razor, Mogno soap & Plissoft brush
The Henson/Eddison combo sailed through this shave effortlessly. This resulted in a DFS this A.M. :thumbup1:
The Henson ++ gave me a smooth close shave with the Eddison blade.
No nicks or irritation noted.

Top Bottom