What's new

GIVEAWAY! Discovery PIF - Your Amazing Adventure Begins With A Great Shave!!

Adventure 17 - Second Timor (1)
Tradere SB, RazoRock BC Silvertip, Tabac

Since the Tradere OC tamed the Timor a lot more effectively than the Lupo 95 OC on the last blade, I thought the Tradere SB might make another difference, and in a way, it did. Perhaps too much so. The combo is far milder than I enjoy, taking a lot more effort to get across the finish line than I consider necessary. I'm going to swap over to the Game Changer 84 SB and see if that has anything different to say.

The brush.. it's definitely too big. I like the fibers, but 24mm is just too much knot for me. I wish they made one of these in the 18-20mm range.

I've forgotten where I was exactly. I know I thought the Bolzano was so-so in a Tech. I switched to the Timor for the last couple shaves. It's the same kind of so-so. I admit I never really cared much for the Tech shave, but I thought I would give it a try. This last one missed so much stubble I had to go over and over. On to the next razor.

Adventure 18 - Second Timor (2)
RazoRock Game Changer 84 SB, Wee Scot, Speick Shave Stick

The GC 84 SB is definitely a step in the right direction for this blade, but not quite enough. I'm going to escalate to the 84 OC for the next adventure, but if that doesn't get where I want it to be, then this blade will be useful only in my Tradere OC. I've already ruled it out of being a regular rotation blade, based on these trials, though.

Date
365 days of shaving19/365 (100%)
GRUYERE19/365 (100%)
GRUME January19/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
XWTGL:W-E
R:E-W
Neck: S-N
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Old Type OCEddison (4)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

My first shave with the OT and boy that did not disappoint!! What an amazing shave! After two passes I was at light BBS / DFS+ and I followed up with an ATG on the cheeks and parts of the neck. Slight touch up on the problem areas and I was done. Wow!

This last of my blades is performing as new. And so the Adventure continues!

Thank you @mgweatherly for this very fine razor and the opportunity to try this one. It was superb!

More details on the shave can be found here. The story behind this razor can be found here.

Enjoy your shave!

Date
365 days of shaving21/365 (100%)
GRUYERE21/365 (100%)
GRUME January21/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Old Type (thick cap)Eddison (5)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashMike’s Natural Barbershop
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Second with the Old Type and again an amazing shave. This razor is likely to be over a 100 years old and it can rival with any modern razor in my collection, including my Timeless Ti95 (which still is my top razor).

Lathering was more difficult today as I not loaded enough at first and because the Omega boar is a lather hog! Reload and lather was very nice. I love this scent and the post shave feel!

Again fewer passes than before and frankly similar results than before. Smooth allround and no irritation, no weepers, no nicks, just a very fine shave!

Enjoy your weekend!

Amazing Adventure
Jan. 21 and 23

Razor: Razorock German 37
Blade: Timor
Aftershave: Wet Shaving Products Cedarwood

I found I had another blade left from this challenge, one of the Timors I set aside because I didn't like how they others had performed. Well, things have changed and I'm back with a new razor and a new aftershave and a whole new attitude.

OK, same attitude, but some new gear.

I've been using the German 37 exclusively, and it's more aggressive than my Gillette razors, which I'm liking and think I can grow into. I use the term "aggressive" in the sense of giving a better chance of both cutting myself and cutting beard hairs closer to the face. The term "efficient" doesn't really work, as it's not necessarily more efficient on the first pass on cutting longer hairs close. I'm willing to exchange a few weepers for a super-close shave, and this razor allows me to do this. Perhaps this is common with modern razors, but I have little experience.

First shave of the Timor went fairly well. Felt sharp and a bit raw. Not so smooth, but got the job done. Some weepers I used the styptic pencil on, as they didn't close up right away. Finished with a splash of the Cedarwood, first time using, and it gave a hearty burn and dried quickly. Too many variables here, but is it the aggressive razor, the rough blade or the aftershave that caused the intense burn? Who knows!

I will say the shave was uncommonly close, judged by length of stubble at shave time two days later (I shave every other day). I also had a few red spots on my face, again, too many variables. Also, my face felt great to touch after the shave. Considering that it wasn't the smoothest shave, I suspect some credit goes to the allantoin in the aftershave. Some of that credit gets taken away, however, because my mind keeps replaying an edited Bill Joel "we're living here in Allantoin."

Second Timor shave, similar results. Maybe more irritation, but less blood. Both shaves struggled in the mustache area, forcing me to back off to keep the blood down but leaving it shy of BBS. Today I felt resistance from the blade hitting the stubble and sticking. The theoretical advantage of slants is cutting hairs with a slicing, not chopping, motion but it felt like sticking an axe in a tree.

While I'm thinking about being a lumberjack, this aftershave couldn't be any more woody. I couldn't smell more like cedar if I were brushing sawdust off me all day. I don't think I mind.

I think that's it. I'll probably try the Timor another time.

Date
365 days of shaving25/365 (100%)
GRUYERE25/365 (100%)
GRUME January25/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participations-

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC with Lasta Red handleEddison (6)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splashHaslinger Sandelholz
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso (AS)
Proraso (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7.5/10 (DFS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Today’s shave was partially a roll of the dice with the pairing of the NEW with the Eddison. The Eddison showing every sign of a performer. A very nice shave followed. The NEW LC is a versatile and easy to manoeuvre razor. Excellent design and build - and to think I got this from the bay for slightly more than $5 excluding shipping.

I made sure I loaded lighter than yesterday and I bowl lathered first before turning to the face. It gives me more consistency in my lather, although I have come to appreciate face lathering since bringing that into my routine more deliberately since January. I have also tuned down on the preshave, saving the menthol for warmer months. Or at least I do not miss out on my routine for now.

Missed some spots on the upper lip section, but overall a nice shave again today. Comfortable and irritation free.

Enjoy your shave!

Timor Side 2, Shave 1
Focus Dynamic
Timor (1)
Ever Ready 100
Stirling Varen Lather & A/S

9A8A3F81-F73E-4EFA-A414-BB220D98659D.jpeg

Date31.01.2023
365 days of shaving31/365 (100%)
GRUYERE31/365 (100%)
GRUME January31/31 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes2.75
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCB
Eddison (7)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashTabac
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash
Floïd (AS)
Nivea (Balm)

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS)9/10 (buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Closing out the month with my #1 razor. Everything about it is beautiful and I smile no grin from ear to ear every time I pick it up. Pinch myself and get on with the shave.

Combining the Ti95 with the Eddison is a very reliable combination for me. They both entered my home around the same time and I have had most Ti95 shaves with an Eddison I think. Very consistent results. Super comfortable and smooth. This blade has mileage left, but with OBiF up next month I will use this blade again in March (I will keep saying it, but @Grundi and @Space_Cadet have nailed it in terms of blade selection for me). And reality was aligned with expectations so a very relaxed and effective shave.

Tabac…yeah well…the lather is excellent. I used my thumbs to close the gap from the donation to a fellow brother. Gives me the impression that I have used this soap more than I have. Even after the 26+ uses no dint had occurred at all. This puck will be with me for years coming.

Having tried the Gillette Slant yesterday I reverted back to regular strokes today, as I felt these were easier to perform with short strokes. Slant and Slide work better with longer strokes. I do use a slanted / oblique stroke when doing the WXTG pass. For now this is working out quite well with wanted results.

Enjoy your shaves!

Adventure 19 - Second Timor (3)
RazoRock Game Changer 84 OC, Wee Scot, Canada Shaving Soap

The OC plate made the blade perform better, but at the same time showed off it's wear and tear. Just too much scratch to keep using. On the final blade of these adventures!

I was absent for a while, had to go take care of mom. Since I had grown a beard, all I did was line it, I used the Israeli Edison in a shavette (Facon kamisori style). Easy to use and also rigid, good for this purpose, I compared to a German Persona and the Edison beat it by a lot.

So I did +- 6 linings of the beard edges and was very pleased with this blade, sharp , precise, no cuts and no irritation. Great for use in a shavette. I use gel for this so I can see the line I want to maintain.

Still have to try the Bolzano, maybe in a new to me slant or a Henson (on it's way....).....

Cheers

Timor #2, Blade #2, Side #2, Shave #4

Add all those up and it came our as a comfortable, smooth shave producing a DFS. The Timor and Twig paired nicely

Razor: Leaf Twig
Blade: Timor (4)
Brush: Frank badger
Lather: Stirling Baker Street
Aftershave: Osage Rub - Master Bay Rum - Bootlegger’s Perfecto

Finished my second Timor today. 12 shaves total, 7 on one side and 5 on the other. I used it as half blades in my Focus Dynamic and Leaf Twig. What I experienced with this blade is that it provided a smooth mid-sharpness shave until it didn’t. It was good one day and the next it was quite rough.

Razor: Twig by Leaf
Blade: Timor (5 on 2nd side. 12th total)
Brush: Yaqi Green Obsidian
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Pre-shave: Badger oil
Lather: PAA Atomic Bay Rum
Aftershave: PAA Atomic Bay Rum
Balm: CereVe

Adventure 20 - Second Eddison (1)
RazoRock Game Changer 84 OC, Wee Scot, La Toja Shave Stick

This combo is one I'm going to take special note of. It's a winner. Three easy and comfortable passes and one of the smoothest results I've had in a long time. A most excellent adventure!

Date11.02.2023
365 days of shaving42/365 (100%)
GRUYERE42/365 (100%)
GRUME February11/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes2.5
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W

RazorBladeBrush
Green Cult 2.0 IIEddison (8)Kox Blue Synthetic
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)7/10 (Nick on the chin and left of the upper lip)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+)9/10 (buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Cheat day from OBiF with an Eddison loaded in the GC2 II as I wanted to know how the GC shaves with a more effective blade. Still enjoying this last blade of the batch and it is still performing after 8 shaves. This is an excellent blade!

I don’t think the level III will be up my alley even though my daily driver is a .95 razor as the III has more blade exposure than my Ti95.

An excellent shave as far as I am concerned. Renewed acquaintance with the GC and it is good.

Further details can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Adventure 22 - Second Eddison (3)
RazoRock Game Changer 84 OC, Wee Scot, Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica

More of a touchup than a proper shave, and an excuse to luxuriate with the delightful aroma of this SV soap.

I'm going to go ahead and call it now, Eddison was the clear winner of the three blades in this series, in this razor specifically. Bolzano was also decent enough, but Timor just didn't make the cut. I don't think even the Eddison made enough impression to make it onto my shopping list, though.

Date01.03.2023
365 days of shaving60/365 (100%)
GRUYERE60/365 (100%)
GRUME March01/31 (100%)
03/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Soap of the Month Club (SOTMC)

Passes3
WXTGCheeks L: W-E (slanted)
Cheeks R: E-W (slanted)
Neck: S-N (slanted)

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Super Speed V2 black handleEddison (9)Omega Roma Capitolina
Cold splashMike’s Barbershop
Proraso Green
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)6/10 (nick)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS++)9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

This was a very welcome shave after OBiF and I feel super smooth. Missed two spots on the neck for a full BBS, but today was really close even though I did not chase the baby at all. Just the happenstance of a superb razor meeting a superb blade.

Further details and more can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave!

Date02.03.2023
365 days of shaving61/365 (100%)
GRUYERE61/365 (100%)
GRUME March02/31 (100%)
03/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Soap of the Month Club (SOTMC)

RazorBladeBrush
Green Cult 2.0 level II /w Lasta Blue handleEddison (10)Razorock Plissoft 400
Cold splashMike’s Barbershop
Proraso Green
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.75/10 (DFS+++/BBS-)9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

I loaded the Eddison in the GC2 for today's shave. This razor deserves a sharp blade. The Eddison going on 10 shaves still delivers a marvellous performance. The shave is comfortable, smotth and the blade gets the job done. The results from this blade by the way are not as long lasting as the post shave result would expect you to believe (at least not me anyway). I think the blade might have a shave left.

The GC2 has positive blade exposure of .10mm with a gap of .65mm and yet it feels mild to the skin. I hardly notice any blade feel. That said the aftershave sting this morning tells me is was an extremely close shave. Exfoliating close. The Lasta Blue Handle is lighter and shorter than the OEM one and makes the razor more nimble. I will place the OEM handle back to note any differences in shaving later this week.

Further details and more can be found in my journal here.

A very fine shave. Enjoy yours!

Post shave my skin was very sensitive and I saw some red dots from dried weepers. I therefore decided to bin the blade. And with that my blade adventure came to an end. I have had different shaves with different blades. The Timor ends third in my list. The Bolzano comes in second, but actually close to the Timor. And the absolute winner for me is the Eddison. Magnificently smooth, comfortable. Sharp till the end even though that’s relatively so because the shave results did not last throughout the day. But just a pleasure to shave with.

I want to thank @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for this amazing PIF and event. I would have never tried any of these blades on my own.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom