What's new

Discovery Here, Common Knowledge for You?

Just wanted to pass on a fun fact that I discovered yesterday. As most everyone likely does, I voraciously read ingredient labels on all products shaving related (and not). I've always avoided after shaves, either splashes or balms containing Witch Hazel because I use alum and both being astringent, I attempted to avoid the redundancy.

I was PIFd by @Darth Scandalous, a fine and generous gentleman (who is not actually a Sith Lord,) a bottle of Varen, after shave balm--by Stirling Soaps. I noticed going in, that Witch Hazel is the second ingredient, but didn't think to take alum out of my regimen.

I experienced the usual soothing properties of every other quality balm; with one major difference. About a minute after application, I touched my exceedingly handsome face only to notice a complete absence of drag, moisture, or oily quality whatsoever, (not inferring that other balms are oily). I think my observation holds more credence because it's a singular experience, and not a single balm of mine contains Witch Hazel.

Lesson? It's very pleasant having all the VERY high-quality attributes of a fine balm, with no tactile trace of product.

Moving forward, I will not avoid those balms with Witch Hazel, but will likely seek them out. I'm a big fan of the soothe I achieve from balms, and find now that I'm also a huge fan of the "no trace left" property I experience with the Varen.

I won't let the content of Witch Hazel deter me from buying a particular balm once I run out of the 19 balms I currently have.

I am a big fan of witch hazel, it is marketed for facial cleansing using cotton pads. I have a routine where I wash my face in the evening before I shave, but in the morning I wipe down my face with witch hazel. I had read a post on here where the poster's dermatologist recommended applying witch hazel before shaving, but no explanation why. I know that just from being home overnight the wipe is pretty filthy in the morning from whatever gets into my pores. I don't like the idea of washing my face in the morning, it's just a thing I don't do. I do also use alum in the morning if I shave because I have this weird superstition about closing pores, it's complete nonsense. I like it none the less. But then I try to avoid alcohol splashes in the morning to avoid having my face get dry, more nonsense. I say use all the products at any time you want if you like them, whether it makes sense or not!

Big fan of closing the pores after a shave. I think that the skin is more vulnerable to ingress of bacteria when relaxed, warm, and pores are open. Astringent takes care of that. Alum makes nicks and weepers all but disappear on my face. I don't leave home without it. Warm soap and water will open the pores and encourage the egress of all the crap that gets in during the day. I've always washed with hot water and soap before shaving--before applying shaving soap/cream, that is.

Thank you for the article. I noticed a few things after reading it. It speaks of terms commonly misused, most notably whether a follicle is a pore.

Science being what it is, I’m going to go with my education and put that article on the back burner for now.

Warm skin is more relaxed and the openings that already exist; call them what you choose—can and will relax, “opening” being an alternative way to call a moose a mammal.

During a warm/cold cycle the former is when to cleanse. The latter being when to conclude. How one wishes to do that; we’ll—Chevy’s and Fords.

I am a big fan of witch hazel, it is marketed for facial cleansing using cotton pads. I have a routine where I wash my face in the evening before I shave, but in the morning I wipe down my face with witch hazel. I had read a post on here where the poster's dermatologist recommended applying witch hazel before shaving, but no explanation why. I know that just from being home overnight the wipe is pretty filthy in the morning from whatever gets into my pores. I don't like the idea of washing my face in the morning, it's just a thing I don't do. I do also use alum in the morning if I shave because I have this weird superstition about closing pores, it's complete nonsense. I like it none the less. But then I try to avoid alcohol splashes in the morning to avoid having my face get dry, more nonsense. I say use all the products at any time you want if you like them, whether it makes sense or not!
Witch Hazel is also an active ingredient in Preparation H. Just here to inform people of fun facts.

Just wanted to pass on a fun fact that I discovered yesterday. As most everyone likely does, I voraciously read ingredient labels on all products shaving related (and not). I've always avoided after shaves, either splashes or balms containing Witch Hazel because I use alum and both being astringent, I attempted to avoid the redundancy.

I was PIFd by @Darth Scandalous, a fine and generous gentleman (who is not actually a Sith Lord,) a bottle of Varen, after shave balm--by Stirling Soaps. I noticed going in, that Witch Hazel is the second ingredient, but didn't think to take alum out of my regimen.

I experienced the usual soothing properties of every other quality balm; with one major difference. About a minute after application, I touched my exceedingly handsome face only to notice a complete absence of drag, moisture, or oily quality whatsoever, (not inferring that other balms are oily). I think my observation holds more credence because it's a singular experience, and not a single balm of mine contains Witch Hazel.

Lesson? It's very pleasant having all the VERY high-quality attributes of a fine balm, with no tactile trace of product.

Moving forward, I will not avoid those balms with Witch Hazel, but will likely seek them out. I'm a big fan of the soothe I achieve from balms, and find now that I'm also a huge fan of the "no trace left" property I experience with the Varen.

I won't let the content of Witch Hazel deter me from buying a particular balm once I run out of the 19 balms I currently have.

Interesting experiment!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Thanks for sharing your results.

Given your vast experience, please share which of the 19 balms rank at the top of your list.
That would be vast inexperience. The number of balms a man owns is no indication of his experience. BTW, if I came off as one who knows much in this field, it certainly wasn't intentional. I know very little compared to the more experienced on the board. Given your response, perhaps I came off that way.

For whatever it's worth (probably not much) I oftentimes use alum, witch hazel, and an alcohol-based aftershave (in that order) when I'm done shaving. Never had an issue.

However, I sometimes use alcohol-free aftershave and almost always use a hydrating balm/cream once a day.

For whatever it's worth (probably not much) I oftentimes use alum, witch hazel, and an alcohol-based aftershave (in that order) when I'm done shaving. Never had an issue.

However, I sometimes use alcohol-free aftershave and almost always use a hydrating balm/cream once a day.
I'm guessing you're not prone to blemishes!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
That would be vast inexperience. The number of balms a man owns is no indication of his experience. BTW, if I came off as one who knows much in this field, it certainly wasn't intentional. I know very little compared to the more experienced on the board. Given your response, perhaps I came off that way.
If you've tried 19 balms you've got some experience. Surely you have a favorite or three?

Among my favorites are Barrister and Mann's Cologne Russe, Lavanille and Oceania. From Pre de Provence I like No. 69 very much, Stirling Soap's VAREN is wonderful; and Plain 'ol Bay Rum from Lather & Wood has served me well.

Big fan of closing the pores after a shave. I think that the skin is more vulnerable to ingress of bacteria when relaxed, warm, and pores are open. Astringent takes care of that. Alum makes nicks and weepers all but disappear on my face. I don't leave home without it. Warm soap and water will open the pores and encourage the egress of all the crap that gets in during the day. I've always washed with hot water and soap before shaving--before applying shaving soap/cream, that is.
Pores don't open and close. That's a myth that has been perpetuated for many decades.

Hot water brings more blood flow to the face, leading to swelling/edema of the tissues (not enough to be seen with the naked eye, usually, but present), and cold water shunts blood away, leading to less fluid in the tissues (that's why we put ice packs on injuries, because limiting blood flow to an injured area decreases edema/swelling).

If you are worried about bacteria after shaving (which I don't think you need be, generally speaking), you should use an alcohol-based aftershave. If you are REALLY worried about bacteria (in other words, if you are germaphobic) you could get a bottle of hypochlorous acid spray. It kills virtually everything and is completely non-toxic. It is sold under a variety of brand names, such as Puracyn, Pure and Clean, and so on. It comes in a variety of sizes of spray bottles. A spray or two could be mixed in your hands with any balm or other aftershave you happen to be using. Or it could be sprayed directly onto the face/neck, or onto a towel or cotton round and spread on and allowed to dry, and could be followed with aftershave. This would give its full potency.

For the record, I don't do this, and I don't think it is necessary, but it might bring peace of mind to people who are worried about infections.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Personally I get better shaves with a very cold skin. My theory is that when cold, the whiskers stand up more making them easier to cut.

Top Bottom