What's new

Discovered "the Marco method" for lathering!

I use a method in between the two (dry brush and Marco wet brush method). I take a brush that has soaked in water (badger or boar) give it one gentle shake and load it. There is always enough water in the brush so I don't have to wet the tips. Originally, I bowl lathered but for the past few years I have face lathered. I find that working the lather on my face (or in the bowl) thickens the lather and removes any bubbles.

At one time there were a few posts on B&B of individuals who used a damp brush and never added water to the tips or the bowl. They said they got good shave following that method.

As usual, there are various methods that work. Not one method is suitable for all. Just try them all and see what works for you.
+1

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I use a method in between the two (dry brush and Marco wet brush method). I take a brush that has soaked in water (badger or boar) give it one gentle shake and load it. There is always enough water in the brush so I don't have to wet the tips. Originally, I bowl lathered but for the past few years I have face lathered. I find that working the lather on my face (or in the bowl) thickens the lather and removes any bubbles.

At one time there were a few posts on B&B of individuals who used a damp brush and never added water to the tips or the bowl. They said they got good shave following that method.

As usual, there are various methods that work. Not one method is suitable for all. Just try them all and see what works for you.
:thumbsup: I do think that most people that start with the "Marco Method" modify it over time. It is a brilliant way to teach a beginner how to load the perfect lather right off the bat when face lathering.

Bottom line you always have more control over your lather with a dryer brush adding water as you go. This is a fact. Half of my brushes hold enough water for a weeks worth of lather if I just let them drain on there own. This is a terrible method especially for beginners.
I usually don't comment on people's opinions, because all of us are different and have our own preferences. If it works for you, it's not wrong.

I do chime in when opinions are expressed as absolute facts like the two I've highlighted above.

Marco Method gives you as good control over your lather - you start with the right amount of water, then add soap till you get where you need to be. There's never a problem with over-watering like the damp brush style where you at water as you go along. Both methods are equally viable and controllable.

Saying it's a terrible option for beginners is just plain wrong. It takes the guesswork and frustration out of lathering for beginners, and allows them to fine tune at their own pace, always having a fallback that works.

I usually don't comment on people's opinions, because all of us are different and have our own preferences. If it works for you, it's not wrong.

I do chime in when opinions are expressed as absolute facts like the two I've highlighted above.

Marco Method gives you as good control over your lather - you start with the right amount of water, then add soap till you get where you need to be. There's never a problem with over-watering like the damp brush style where you at water as you go along. Both methods are equally viable and controllable.

Saying it's a terrible option for beginners is just plain wrong. It takes the guesswork and frustration out of lathering for beginners, and allows them to fine tune at their own pace, always having a fallback that works.

7. While face lathering add, slowly and progressively, a few drops of water per time to your brush. Or, alternatively, lightly wet the tips of the brush. I personally prefer to add drops of water to the brush because I have a better control of the soap/water ratio.

You add water as you go along in this method as well.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I had to stop myself from saying, “That’s the fact, JACK!” as a reply to your post. However, I will simply say that I agree with your opinion.

Exactly what I was getting at. I came to a realization that my lathers were not as good as they should be, so using the Marco method now allows me to get my lather the way it should be while fine tuning along the way! Not trying to bash anyones methods of lathering, what works for one person does not work for everyone. Just wanted to share my experience :)

I’ve found that almost all soaps require significantly more water than I originally thought. The More water I add the slicker they tend to become. To a point of course.

I always find these discussions entertaining to the point where we're taking something so simple and splitting hairs over it. Geez.... how difficult could it be to load a brush with some soap to get a decent shave with? This isn't rocket science folks. Wet brush, damp brush, adding water to a loaded brush, face lather, bowl lather.... who cares? Do what works best for you.

I always find these discussions entertaining to the point where we're taking something so simple and splitting hairs over it. Geez.... how difficult could it be to load a brush with some soap to get a decent shave with? This isn't rocket science folks. Wet brush, damp brush, adding water to a loaded brush, face lather, bowl lather.... who cares? Do what works best for you.
This is a forum expressly for these type of discussions. So you have nothing to add?

As an head shaver the Marco method improved by shaves immensely.
Starting dry in a larger surface area and having to build it, hydrating it properly, took forever.

Top Bottom