What's new

Discovered a neat way to straighten bent corner teeth....

A bent down corner tooth leaves the blade edge exposed and results in cuts. Learned that the hard way. Had a #66 that had been dropped a couple times and bad plate so wasn't afraid to give this a go. Only works if the teeth are bent down, not inward. Tools needed: Large wooden spoon.

if TTO, open all the way, hold upside down supporting the doors in your fingers. Swat the corner teeth with the wooden spoon. If you miss the spoon won't scratch the handle just graze off and slide down to the bent tooth. One or two firm swats should do it. If 3 piece, leave the cap on to support the base.

If the tooth is bent so bad there is a crease it may break off. Any attempt to slowly bend the tooth will probably break it off but the quick force of wooden spoon impact doesn't seem to hurt it at all.

I was pretty surprised when it worked but now feel comfortable trying it on all but the most egregious examples.

Take your worst condition bent tooth razor and give it a try, then post results.

Before reading your advice I noted your name, and I surmised this guy is going to recommend hitting it with a Sledgehammer. I wasn't too far off. :001_smile

The concept is interesting. A slow pull is likely to break the razor's tooth. A quick strike with (soft) wood will not. I don't have a razor to practice on, but I'm sure someone does. I will be following the results!

Brother Sledge, be prepared for either an avalanche of praises or an avalanche of curses. Best wishes to all.

You got lucky this time. :ouch1:
I have a couple more that aren't worth anything due to other damage so... Where is that wooden spoon? My wife is stirring soup with it. I wonder if she noticed the dents. I'll have to wait a bit to continue the experiment.

This is going to be fun.

Wouldn't you have a better shot if you annealed the baseplate, then carefully bent it back? Not quite as caveman, so perhaps lacking in whacking, but potentially higher rate of success?

Wouldn't you have a better shot if you annealed the baseplate, then carefully bent it back? Not quite as caveman, so perhaps lacking in whacking, but potentially higher rate of success?
Of course it doesn't matter if it is a junk razor I'm playing with but won't that discolor the plating?

Of course it doesn't matter if it is a junk razor I'm playing with but won't that discolor the plating?

No, it would pretty much totally destroy any plating :a17:

I was a jewelery repair guy for a while, so I think about how to do the fix first. Plating isn't something I would worry about.

giphy (1).gif

I have a couple more that aren't worth anything due to other damage so... Where is that wooden spoon? My wife is stirring soup with it. I wonder if she noticed the dents. I'll have to wait a bit to continue the experiment.

This is going to be fun.
As a man with 54 years of experience with marriage, I strongly urge you to continue the experiment when your wife is gone for at least an hour. Also do you have a decent supply of sand paper? :001_rolle

It has been my experience that steam can be used to relieve all but the most ignominious razor tracks in a wooden spoon.

R

romsitsa

Hello Sledge,

could you post a pic of the spoon you use? I'm thinking of a cooking spoon, but don't see, how I could force it into the comb.

Thank you

Adam

I have used a small soft head mallet to do this in the past, but have stopped doing so, as I have learned that there is only about a 50% chance of not breaking off the tooth. Perhaps it is because the mallet generates far more power than the humble spoon.....

Cheers,
Kevin

TTO teeth are stamped out of sheet, they'll have more flexibility than say those from a New Improved or an Old Type.

None the less, I would've left it alone myself.

I wonder if a soldering gun, either electric or gas, would be able to introduce enough heat locally to assist in a repair like this without having to torch the whole head and risk destroying the plating? If not, maybe a pen style torch, just on the effected teeth?

...Just thinking out loud here.

I wonder if a soldering gun, either electric or gas, would be able to introduce enough heat locally to assist in a repair like this without having to torch the whole head and risk destroying the plating? If not, maybe a pen style torch, just on the effected teeth?

...Just thinking out loud here.
Not enough heat from a soldering iron for that.

Hello Sledge,

could you post a pic of the spoon you use? I'm thinking of a cooking spoon, but don't see, how I could force it into the comb.

Thank you

Adam
Here is a pic of my special tool, the wooden spoon. Notice the dings from razor hammering. My wife didn't. She doesn't cook very often. So far I have purposely bent and then whacked straight 5 OC's varying year manufacture, not one broke off. None were creased though. I also tried mildly heating and bending slowly another 5, all broke off. So far my experiment is a success. So confident I am that I will try it with a very expensive example next... Bwahahah! NOT!

Here is how you whack it. (Resist commenting on this one phrase if you can.) Hold the razor like so in your fingers and strike! Edge of spoon will slide down handle if you miss a bit and middle of spoon strikes the corner tooth.

Last edited:
I also tried mildly heating and bending slowly another 5, all broke off.
Recipe for disaster as you've found out. You need to heat to dull cherry red, THEN LET IT COOL to room temperature before bending. This is called annealing. Just ask @TobyC

I just did a 1905 Single Ring last night with three bent corner teeth and one REALLY bent corner tooth and it came out great. I did the really bent tooth in three cycles, 1/3 of the way each time. The only downside is you lose the silver plating, which I can live with.

Top Bottom