What's new

Discontinuing Shipping to Canada

It is with regret that I announce that as of March 1st we will discontinue our service to Canada. With the decline in Canadian sales due to the increasing availability of online retailers with similar product lines, as well as the increased cost and administrative burden associated with fewer sales, it is no longer economically viable for us to continue shipping to Canada.

As you may recall, we have a special program set-up through UPS where you pay your shipping, a small brokerage fee, duty, and GST up-front when you place your order. Then we make a consolidated shipment to Canada once a week. That is the key for the program to work. It is kind of an “economy of scale” thing. Well, we just never got there. We gave it a try.

I thank all of you who supported us. Now, unfortunately, we are about to become just another one of those “US centric” retailers.

hello -

for those Canadian badgers who live close to the US border - go to the closest US town and look around for a 'shipping service' - these places specialize in receiving packages and holding them for you. I pay $3 per package for the service, and its a good deal.

I live 20 minutes from Point Roberts WA. I drive there, pick up the package, declare it at the border, and drive home. Most shaving purchases are so small there is seldom duty. The best part of this is the timing. For example - I won an old razor hone on eboy last week. I had it shipped to washignton state from minnesota - it was $3 cheaper to ship in the states, and it arrived in two days. I have had packages sent to my home in BC from arizona and they typically take three weeks to arrive.

I would look into it - most vendors are ok with 'cross shipping' - where you ship to a different address than your billing address.

Jim- is cross shipping something you would consider?

Barry

Another way to get stuff that can't be shipped to Canada is have it shipped to you while you're in the US.

Most hotels will accept shipments for guests (including guests who will be checking in in the next day or so). So long as you give the vendor enough lead time, its generally not an issue to get stuff delivered within a 2 -3 day window.

Another way to get stuff that can't be shipped to Canada is have it shipped to you while you're in the US.

Most hotels will accept shipments for guests (including guests who will be checking in in the next day or so). So long as you give the vendor enough lead time, its generally not an issue to get stuff delivered within a 2 -3 day window.

I've done this in the past and works great. Just wish I traveled to the states more often.
Jim had great products but I could never justify paying an additional $30 to ship to Canada.

Good call, Chris. Plus, there is the added bonus of getting to walk up to the Concierge all James Bond and saying "I believe you have a package for me." Very cool.

Jim, I bought my first brush from Vintage Blades because you have a great selection. Along with it you sent a couple of samples of Castle Forbes Lime & Dr Harris Arlington shave creams. As a result to this day, the Dr Harris Arlington is a mainstay in my rotation.

Sorry to hear this announcement. Us Canadians were well served by your business. It was a pleasure doing business with you. :a14:

I've done this in the past and works great. Just wish I traveled to the states more often.
Jim had great products but I could never justify paying an additional $30 to ship to Canada.

Just to make it clear, the amount that was built into our fee schedule for the brokerage fee was a flat rate of $10.00 and for shipping was a flat rate of $12.50, regardless of the size of the order. Back to my prior comment about "economies of scale", since we would make a consolidated shipment to Canada once a week, the brokerage fee was charged on the total shipment. The more parcels shipped, the lower the brokerage fee per parcel. To make the program work for us, we needed to ship at least 10 parcels a week. We were never able to sustain that.

Top Bottom