What's new

Discontinued Peterson Blends

I have some sad news, if it is true. I was perusing one of my favorite german online tobacconists (danpipe.de) and this is what was posted on the Peterson's page:

Peterson's

The Irish company Peterson offers high-quality pipe tobaccos for the finest smoking pleasure since 1865. English blends, aromatic blends and flakes for the experienced smoker belong to the assortment.

Unfortunately, the following tobaccos are no longer produced - grab while stocks last :

Peterson's Irish Oak
Peterson's Irish Mixture
Peterson's Sunset Breeze
Peterson's Killarney
Peterson's Luxury Blend
Peterson's De Luxe Mixture
Peterson's 3 P's Perfect Plug
Peterson's Hyde Park
Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice
Peterson's Original 1865 Mixture

I think the biggest hits are Irish Oak & 3 P's. Just hope you guys can get what you want/need.

Oh, and just so you know, none of these blends are available at danpipe.de.

I had a feeling something like this was coming. Hyde Park was made for Peterson by Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. so I'm guessing the arrangement fell apart after the sale of Peterson. 3 P's Perfect Plug seemed to be the first to disappear from the marketplace and I had heard it might go away. Not sure who made it for them but I wish I knew. I'll have to really savor the two or three tins I have left of 3 P's. The above list is much more extensive than I thought.

Some of them are available in the Rattray's line (long story) but a lot of these Rattray's seem to only be available in Europe. If one of them is a favorite it might be worth hunting for the Rattray's equivalent.

Peterson Name = Rattray's Name
Irish Whiskey(Irish Mixture) = Sir William
Sunset Breeze = Union Jack
Sweet Killarney = Westminster Abbey
Luxury Blend = Royal Albert
Connaisseurs Choice = Tower Bridge

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I haven’t been in the pipe game for but a few years. Have Tobacco blends always come and gone like they have recently?

They're indeed available by Rattray's... I confirm that Tower Bridge is exactly the same blend with Connaisseur's Choice.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I haven’t been in the pipe game for but a few years. Have Tobacco blends always come and gone like they have recently?

In the past, I believe it was only poor sellers, or blends where there were difficulties obtaining the ingredients, that got dropped. However, the industry has had two good kickings recently. Firstly, there was the American regulations (Deeming?) that meant products had to be approved, and there were restrictions on mail order (and whatever else was involved - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm way off the mark).

Secondly, the EU TPD regulations, meant that all manufacturers had to register each individual product, and pay the registration fee for each one, in each of the 28 countries they intended to sell to. Then on top of that, they had to pay an annual licence fee for each product in each country. The legislation and administrative costs was just far too cumbersome for the smaller manufacturers (some manufacturers reported that the to register all products in all countries would actually cost many multiples of their annual turnover) and a lot of products have been dropped as a result, so the makers only pay admin charges they can afford, and can stay in business.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Great, I just panic bought some University Flake and Connoisseurs Choice and threw in some Presbyterian to round things up. It always bothers me when I see something is in the top 10 sellers list that normally isn't there, but it was probably just the sales price (20% off) that boosted the sales rank of the Pres. at SP.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
FOMO is a terrible thing. The end is near, the sky is falling and the aliens have returned!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose

In the past, I believe it was only poor sellers, or blends where there were difficulties obtaining the ingredients, that got dropped.

There is also the issue of who Actually owns the product, who is blending the product, and who is importing/distributing the product. There are really only a handful of blenders and distributors responsible for most of the commercial blends. Peterson don't blend anything, they may own the recipe, or put their name on a product from someone they contract with, and if those arrangements change availability can change. Dunhill wasn't available for years, until Lane took over the import and distribution. 3 Nuns and Capstan were impossible to get domestically while they were with Imperial Tobacco Group. Samuel Gawith had all kinds of issues and were completely absent from the market for yearly 2 years. The next wave will be with the FDA regulations, and I don't think anyone knows how that is going to eventually go.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I just cleaned out one of the German sites of their 3P's. Sorry fellas. It had to be done.

Stellar! I wish I picked up more a while ago when I had the chance. Seems there was always some other more interesting or harder to get blends that I bought instead. I never thought it would be discontinued.

Stellar! I wish I picked up more a while ago when I had the chance. Seems there was always some other more interesting or harder to get blends that I bought instead. I never thought it would be discontinued.

I know. It sucks. I was also able to pick up some Bothy Flake and Scottish Autumn too. Triple Score!

STG didn't buy the rights to produce Peterson tobacco just to discontinue it. AimlessWanderer correctly points out the TPD2 regs in Europe make it tough for tobacco to be made in one place and distributed all over the EU. I suspect that if any blends are discontinued in the U.S. it'll have more to do with sku rationalization than anything else. I wouldn't put much stock on what a retailer has to say about why they're out of inventory. P&C says goof, wrong **** all the time about why they don't have a product in stock. And it only takes a turn off phrase to completely mistake what's actually going on.

Dunhill wasn't available for years, until Lane took over the import and distribution.

Not to be pedantic, and in the interest only of ensuring correct info is out there, it was General Cigar first (another STG property) that imported into and distributed in the U.S. Dunhill pipe tobacco for three or four years before it moved to Lane.

Top Bottom