What's new

Discontinued Favorites

It is so ridiculous how my chest tightens up and I can't breathe when something gets discontinued (e.g., the Fine Shave Cream Tubes or Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado Shave Cream, etc.). I already own a lifetime's supply of shaving goods, but OH LORD, I'm going to miss out if I run out of a certain thing and I don't have two more of the same thing as "backup" - because the "other guys" are buying them all up AND I'M GOING TO MISS OUT!
What I should be focusing on is slowly and patiently using up my roomful of shaving supplies I already own, enjoying each shave, one day at a time.

I've been so sad to see some of my favorite products getting discontinued recently, from Tabac's formulation change (I know the new formula is probably good, and I stocked up on some tallow anyways), to PAA's Black Bot getting pulled, and now even the seemingly eternal Williams Mug Soap has been called off. I was late on the Williams news so I didn't get a chance to grab any pucks before scalpers got them all, so I'll be waiting a while for those prices to normalize. So I suppose my main questions for all of you friends who are much more informed than I are: 1. Do you guys have any suspicions of other classics potentially getting cancelled soon? I'd hate to see any other big ones like MWF, Arko, Cella, etc. disappear. Question 2, how can I keep a better eye out for the news of these products getting cancelled? I don't want to take advantage of people and buy everything to mark up prices and resell, but I WOULD like to grab a small pile to stave off me not getting to use them anymore. And finally question 3: What other discontinued favorites do you all miss? I'm still somewhat new to the vintage shaving hobby, so I'm sure there are many products I never even got to experience, so I'd love to hear some stories from you all! Thanks for reading and cheers everyone!

Penhaligons tallow shave soaps, Czech & Speake tallow shave soaps, Art of Shaving Tallow shave soaps, Polsilver Super Iridiums, Yardley Black Label, Jabonman, Floid Blue, Simpson Two Band Brushes and a lot of products that slip my mind.

I was lucky enough to buy the last bottle of Skin Bracer at my local Wegmans the other day.
I rarely wear a fragrance, but this is one of my favorite grocery store brands, brings back memories of kidhood when I'd watch Dad shave and he would give me a little to splash on at the end.

I would have been very disappointed if I couldn't score one.

I still have two or three pucks of Williams that I'll visit from time to time.

It is so ridiculous how my chest tightens up and I can't breathe when something gets discontinued (e.g., the Fine Shave Cream Tubes or Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocado Shave Cream, etc.). I already own a lifetime's supply of shaving goods, but OH LORD, I'm going to miss out if I run out of a certain thing and I don't have two more of the same thing as "backup" - because the "other guys" are buying them all up AND I'M GOING TO MISS OUT!
What I should be focusing on is slowly and patiently using up my roomful of shaving supplies I already own, enjoying each shave, one day at a time.
You've perfectly summed up the inner conflict I battle daily. I even stock up on things I like that aren't even rumored to get discontinued, just on the off chance. This is the reason I have 30 or so tallow Tabac sticks, 60 tallow Speick sticks, 10 pucks of Williams, and around 13,000 razor blades of varying type. All of those are just overstock too, I have cabinets full of things in current rotation that I should focus on using, yet I still want to continue filling up my post-apocolypse shelter of shaving supplies. I'll never make it through all of this stuff at the rate I'm going. I've thought seriously about trying to sell a bunch of it off

Penhaligons tallow shave soaps, Czech & Speake tallow shave soaps, Art of Shaving Tallow shave soaps, Polsilver Super Iridiums, Yardley Black Label, Jabonman, Floid Blue, Simpson Two Band Brushes and a lot of products that slip my mind.
Never got to try AoS tallow, floid blue, or polsilvers. Those are all on the list of products I wish I'd gotten to try, but at least I can use wizamet blades still. I'm not sure how similar they are, but the wizamet blades perform well for me

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My most missed discontinued favourite would have to be T.R. Cadman & Sons Ltd "Bengall" straight razors. I believe they were last made in the UK in the early 1950s. A few second-hand ones are available but I have yet to see a NOS one.

S

Scrubby

Simpsons two band discontinued? I count 15 different 2 band brushes on their website. What did they discontinue?

I miss St. Charles Shave soaps, Chatillion Lux Aftershaves(Taum Sauk and others) and Crabtree & Evelyn shaving cream Nomad and Sandalwood in the classy glass jars.

There are so many more producers now, the vintage brands are a loss for sure! There is always something new around the corner!

The Winning Razor, made by Yates for the Wet Shaving Club. Fortunately I was able to get this razor before it was discontinued.
I sold mine a couple weeks before they stopped making them, LOL!!
But happy to see it go to someone that potentially would love it.
Yates says that they will probably start making them again under the Yates name (sold by them).
So all isn't lost for those that missed out!

I'm disappointed the Palmolive stick has been discontinued. I still have a few, but once they're gone, that's it.

I have offered to give a couple to my uncle next time I see him (live on different continents so it's not just a drive down the road) as he mentioned the scent of Palmolive and was wondering if he could remember how to use the sticks.

That was the only soap my grandfather used, so it brings back memories every time I use it.

Top Bottom