What's new

Discontinued Favorites

Only 5 spare MWFs stashed here. Might have to "make do" with more SV if it is discontinued. 😁

I think I'm probably fixed for blades, though.

Which blade/s have you stocked up on?

SV dolomiti is another I love but they no longer make the dark black pucks..I should have stocked up those too!!

Another soap I'm half-heartedly stocking is DR Harris Arlington. I doubt it'll be reformulated anytime soon but you never know, so a couple of extra pucks won't hurt.

I only recently started using the original Tabac Original.
The scent reminded me of unhappy years when I was just a kid. I hated it.
When I learned they changed the tallow version to vegan, I decided to try and find a leftover jar of tallowed Tabac and succeeded.
The first night after recieving it the weirdest thing happened. When opening the box, I disliked the smell. But during that evening, I kept opening the jar and started to like it. A lot. Somehow it ceased to trigger the unhappy memories.
After a few days I thought to give it a try.
I've used many soaps, and they all had their pluses and minuses.
This Tabac combines all the pluses. Suddenly I understood the massive praise it got.
The reviews on the new formula were contradicting each other. One very thorough review was published on Badger and Blade by @Luc
His findings: the vegan is different and not necessarily in a positive way.
Since reading it, I've been hunting the leftover tallows. Some vendors still have pictures of the old ingredient list on their website, while selling the vegan. i send those back, urging them to update their website.
So far, I've been able to buy 5 jars. No sticks or refills, though.
This tallow Tabac is an extremely good soap. So good, I hardly use my other soaps anymore.
That is why I'll keep hunting it until I have 10 pucks. No idea how long one puck lasts, but I'm sure I will be able to enjoy this monumental soap for years.
By the way: I am now so fond of Tabac Original, I use the AS almost every day.
Wow, great story! Happy to hear you've "seen the light" on Tabac, it's truly a spectacular soap. And as far as how long your supply will last, you'd probably enjoy the responses I've gotten in one of my other threads, "How many shaves from my Tabac Stock"

There's are many discontinued products I regret not stocking up on.

I don't take any risks with MWF.
At any given time, I keep 8-10 pucks in my stash.

I took the same approach with Speick tallow sticks and that paid off!

I also don't risk my favorite blades being discontinued...ever since BIC chrome platinum took the #1 spot in my den, I stocked up on a few thousand!
I too love MWF, so I'll likely start getting a stock of that myself. I'm sad to say I never did get the chance to try a tallow Speick shave stick though, what a shame! And the blades are another thing we seem to have in common, as Bic CP blades are also my favorite! Great minds with similar faces, or something to that effect!
Nice!
I myself have a stash of 1300 Wizamet blades.
Superb blade!
Wizamet blades are not ones I've tried before, but seeing as how we both love Bic CP, this has me intrigued! How would you describe them? I love that Bic blades feel sharp enough to battle just about any growth I have, but more importantly they feel extremely smooth, do the Wizamets have any of that in common?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I too love MWF, so I'll likely start getting a stock of that myself. I'm sad to say I never did get the chance to try a tallow Speick shave stick though, what a shame! And the blades are another thing we seem to have in common, as Bic CP blades are also my favorite! Great minds with similar faces, or something to that effect!

Wizamet blades are not ones I've tried before, but seeing as how we both love Bic CP, this has me intrigued! How would you describe them? I love that Bic blades feel sharp enough to battle just about any growth I have, but more importantly they feel extremely smooth, do the Wizamets have any of that in common?

I have used Bic blades, both in my Rex Ambassador, and in my Merkur Futur razor. IMO, the Bic blades provide a smooth shave in my Rex Ambassador razor. However, the Bic blades do not provide me a smooth shave in my Merkur Futur razor.

I had to switch blades, and I switched to the Gillette Nacets for my Merkur Futur, and so far, I can achieve a smooth shave with them. I also have a Feather AS-D2 razor, but that was so long ago now, I only used Feather blades in that razor, as it was all I had, and those were smooth in the Feather AS-D2 razor.

I hear a lot of folks like the Astra blades, most seems to feel that they are smooth blades too. And I've heard good things about Derby blades being a mild and smooth razor blade.

I have used Bic blades, both in my Rex Ambassador, and in my Merkur Futur razor. IMO, the Bic blades provide a smooth shave in my Rex Ambassador razor. However, the Bic blades do not provide me a smooth shave in my Merkur Futur razor.

I had to switch blades, and I switched to the Gillette Nacets for my Merkur Futur, and so far, I can achieve a smooth shave with them. I also have a Feather AS-D2 razor, but that was so long ago now, I only used Feather blades in that razor, as it was all I had, and those were smooth in the Feather AS-D2 razor.

I hear a lot of folks like the Astra blades, most seems to feel that they are smooth blades too. And I've heard good things about Derby blades being a mild and smooth razor blade.
Yeah I know it's highly variable sometimes, but in my case I've found the Bic blades to be the only blade that works in every razor I have (so far anyways), I do like the Astra SP blades in some of my vintage razors, and Voskhod blades are nice in a few as well. I'll also say that until Bic my most used blades were Shark SS, because although they're very mild, they're also always super smooth for me, regardless of the razor. Bic were an upgrade from that because they feel so much sharper without compromising smoothness. Shark have since been handed down to my girlfriend because they seem to be perfect for her to shave her legs with. I also have a stock of Nacets, but I feel for me they're very picky, and without the perfect setup they don't feel very smooth, they're fairly sharp but rough. I still need to try some other big names though, and these Wizamets may be next on my list pending some more feedback and reading into it

MWF is a soap I never want to be without so even the stash I have feels short.
But if a reformulation was announced, I'm sure there's enough stock out there for me to stock up another dozen pucks.

Speick tallow is a great soap. Unfortunately I was only able to stash 6 sticks as I wasn't able to get more after the discontinuation due to where I live.

Indeed the BIC is awesome! It's a magical combo with my blackbird razor.

The Wizamet is ultra smooth and just a hair less sharp than BIC.

You should definitely get some Wizamet to try out!!

These are literally the only two blades I use. I refuse to use any other blades!

Storybook Soapworks. They had a bunch of great scents and the soaps performed extremely well. The owner decided to go back to school And closed up shop.

I have a small stash of soaps and aftershaves from a few years ago but they are running out. I do have an unopened tup of their unscented which could be the only one in existence.

MWF is a soap I never want to be without so even the stash I have feels short.
But if a reformulation was announced, I'm sure there's enough stock out there for me to stock up another dozen pucks.

Speick tallow is a great soap. Unfortunately I was only able to stash 6 sticks as I wasn't able to get more after the discontinuation due to where I live.

Indeed the BIC is awesome! It's a magical combo with my blackbird razor.

The Wizamet is ultra smooth and just a hair less sharp than BIC.

You should definitely get some Wizamet to try out!!

These are literally the only two blades I use. I refuse to use any other blades!
Looking now, I see that there are actually a few websites that still stock the tallow formula Speick. So I'll have to order some! And based on that recommendation, I'll likely order some Wizamet blades as well

Reactions: nav
Looking now, I see that there are actually a few websites that still stock the tallow formula Speick. So I'll have to order some! And based on that recommendation, I'll likely order some Wizamet blades as well

OMG Where are the Speick tallow sticks?
(You can PM me if you prefer)

Make sure they are really delivering the tallow formula. Have seen web sites that are not updated for changes in product specs.

Make sure they are really delivering the tallow formula. Have seen web sites that are not updated for changes in product specs.
Just received them in the mail, they are the real deal with tallow! Going to try one this afternoon. It will be my first Speick shave ever

The two for me are...
Art of Shaving, Sandalwood Tallow Soap
Speick Tallow Stick

Fortunately, I have enough of both to last quite awhile, but they'll be missed once they're used up.

Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil Shave cream was my all-time favorite shave cream; have half a jar and 2 unopened tubes plus 1 tube of C&E Sandalwood.

I am stocking up on MWF and DR Harris shave soaps- Arlington & Marlboro.

Have stock of Tallow Tabac pucks and Speick Shave sticks. 2000 or so Polsilver, Wizamets, SI blades also. Wished I had stocked up on Swedes when they were available.

marty

Top Bottom