What's new

Discontinued Favorites

I've been so sad to see some of my favorite products getting discontinued recently, from Tabac's formulation change (I know the new formula is probably good, and I stocked up on some tallow anyways), to PAA's Black Bot getting pulled, and now even the seemingly eternal Williams Mug Soap has been called off. I was late on the Williams news so I didn't get a chance to grab any pucks before scalpers got them all, so I'll be waiting a while for those prices to normalize. So I suppose my main questions for all of you friends who are much more informed than I are: 1. Do you guys have any suspicions of other classics potentially getting cancelled soon? I'd hate to see any other big ones like MWF, Arko, Cella, etc. disappear. Question 2, how can I keep a better eye out for the news of these products getting cancelled? I don't want to take advantage of people and buy everything to mark up prices and resell, but I WOULD like to grab a small pile to stave off me not getting to use them anymore. And finally question 3: What other discontinued favorites do you all miss? I'm still somewhat new to the vintage shaving hobby, so I'm sure there are many products I never even got to experience, so I'd love to hear some stories from you all! Thanks for reading and cheers everyone!

Yes, there is something particularly sad about a favorite wet shaving product no longer being made. There are quite a few soaps and aftershaves that I liked or wanted to try that are no longer made since I started traditional wet shaving. A few that quickly come to mind are Sir Irisch Moos, Klar Kabinett, Mickey Lee Soapworks, Queen Charlotte Soaps, Floid Blue, Tallow Tabac, Williams, etc. Over the years I accumulated some extras of a few of these when they were available. The best advice I can give is if you really like something then you might want to buy a few extra while it is readily available. I wouldn't go too crazy on stocking up though because you will probably continually find new things that you also really like. I probably will never use up all the stuff I have and I keep buying more!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was sad to see the departure of tallow Tabac, Williams, tallow Art of Shaving, Shulton Old Spice (the aftershave, the shaving soap and the bath soap), Gillette Sun Up aftershave, all the variations of Mennen Skin Bracer, Gillette Spoiler razor blades, and a lot more - but...
It is what it is, I'll buy vintage stuff when I come across it at a reasonable price, but it isn't the end of the world.
Their loss is filled by others making great stuff today, we just have to look, experiment and find a suitable replacement.
Nothing lasts forever except taxes.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
When I first began my wet shaving journey 2-months ago, my first soap I bought, in the full sized ceramic bowl, was Tabac original with Talow. Then it was later on, that I had discovered on this forum, that people were talking about Tabac's departure from the use of Talow. I thought to myself, what in the actual heck is going on here? Of course, it was very convenient that they did that till I just before I started my wet shaving journey, and I was fortunate to buy from old stock.

Will I be so lucky later on to buy replacement puk's with the original talow forumla? Probably not! Oh well, probably a good thing that I have fallen in love with Stirling soap, at least they provide soaps with Talow. I think too many people in the wet shaving industry are trying to be far too PC, and going vegan here, and vegan there, just rediculous! If talow was fine before, its fine now. I wish companies wouldn't force everyone to be a vegan.

Let us make the choice please, do not chose for us! But, by that same token, we have the choice to buy from another brand. So, maybe Tabac will get a reality check, when they've lost 50% of their sales, due to 50% of the Tabac lovers, who love the true original Tabac, stop buying their soap, and they will learn the errors of their ways, and bring back the Tabac original with Talow.

A lot of products I have used in the past and loved (Erasmic Tallow stick, original Body Shop formulation cream, Palmolive stick, Wilkinson blue stick) seem to have disappeared. But I don’t really miss them. However, I would be really upset if MWF was changed to non-tallow or was discontinued. Not only do I love it but it is the only soap my dad has used for years and years.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... maybe Tabac will get a reality check, when they've lost 50% of their sales, due to 50% of the Tabac lovers, who love the true original Tabac, stop buying their soap, and they will learn the errors of their ways, and bring back the Tabac original with Talow.
They had better do that within the next ten years, when I should run out of my tallow Tabac hoard stock.

What I mostly miss is the old formulation of the Nivea Cool Balm Aftershave and the Polsilver Super Iridium and Gillette Stainless blades.

This one doesn't quite count as discontinued, but the Arko sticks used to be sold locally quite cheap and suddenly they vanished and while they still pop up from time to time, their prices have increased substantially and are no longer considered a great deal.

I was going to mention the Fine hard shaving soaps with scents like sandalwood and vetiver, really classic stuff with good performance and longevity.

I fortunately stocked up on the tallow versions of Tabac and Speick (saw that one coming). They will be missed.

There are some excellent hard (and soft) soaps out there, so I'm not worried about the future.

I've been so sad to see some of my favorite products getting discontinued recently, from Tabac's formulation change (I know the new formula is probably good, and I stocked up on some tallow anyways), to PAA's Black Bot getting pulled, and now even the seemingly eternal Williams Mug Soap has been called off. I was late on the Williams news so I didn't get a chance to grab any pucks before scalpers got them all, so I'll be waiting a while for those prices to normalize. So I suppose my main questions for all of you friends who are much more informed than I are: 1. Do you guys have any suspicions of other classics potentially getting cancelled soon? I'd hate to see any other big ones like MWF, Arko, Cella, etc. disappear. Question 2, how can I keep a better eye out for the news of these products getting cancelled? I don't want to take advantage of people and buy everything to mark up prices and resell, but I WOULD like to grab a small pile to stave off me not getting to use them anymore. And finally question 3: What other discontinued favorites do you all miss? I'm still somewhat new to the vintage shaving hobby, so I'm sure there are many products I never even got to experience, so I'd love to hear some stories from you all! Thanks for reading and cheers everyone!

There's are many discontinued products I regret not stocking up on.

I don't take any risks with MWF.
At any given time, I keep 8-10 pucks in my stash.

I took the same approach with Speick tallow sticks and that paid off!

I also don't risk my favorite blades being discontinued...ever since BIC chrome platinum took the #1 spot in my den, I stocked up on a few thousand!

I only recently started using the original Tabac Original.
The scent reminded me of unhappy years when I was just a kid. I hated it.
When I learned they changed the tallow version to vegan, I decided to try and find a leftover jar of tallowed Tabac and succeeded.
The first night after recieving it the weirdest thing happened. When opening the box, I disliked the smell. But during that evening, I kept opening the jar and started to like it. A lot. Somehow it ceased to trigger the unhappy memories.
After a few days I thought to give it a try.
I've used many soaps, and they all had their pluses and minuses.
This Tabac combines all the pluses. Suddenly I understood the massive praise it got.
The reviews on the new formula were contradicting each other. One very thorough review was published on Badger and Blade by @Luc
His findings: the vegan is different and not necessarily in a positive way.
Since reading it, I've been hunting the leftover tallows. Some vendors still have pictures of the old ingredient list on their website, while selling the vegan. i send those back, urging them to update their website.
So far, I've been able to buy 5 jars. No sticks or refills, though.
This tallow Tabac is an extremely good soap. So good, I hardly use my other soaps anymore.
That is why I'll keep hunting it until I have 10 pucks. No idea how long one puck lasts, but I'm sure I will be able to enjoy this monumental soap for years.
By the way: I am now so fond of Tabac Original, I use the AS almost every day.

Top Bottom