What's new

Discontinued blades and blade availability in general

This is also probably just incorrect speculation but I have read a few times that supposedly the Platinum blades are the same as the swedes. Haven't tried either myself.

They aren’t, but life would be easier and cheaper if they were. I wouldn’t have tried 100 blades in the meantime. Lol. That said, there are plenty of decent blades right now.

Let me start a speculative rumor: the Gillette minora sure feels close to the Swede. I wouldn’t be shocked if it was the same blade. Coincidence = Same price I was paying for my last 100 Swedes as well.

I have used damn near all the old "Golden Age" blades and IMO the Swede was simply the same as a modern blue box Platinum and the White box, i.e., they are the same blade to me as they were all made in Russia. A blade being unobtainium seems to awaken "the farther the reach, the sweeter the peach" syndrome in many. That said, I have also used the Minora Platinum and it is a good blade, albeit expensive as it's made exclusively for the South Africa market. The best Gillette blades shave "harder" as they have the best coatings.

Top Bottom