What's new

Disassembling the US Gillette '36-'Aristocrat' and 'Sheraton'

Hello everybody,

I have previously described how the US Gillette '34-'Aristocrat' could be taken apart in this thread:

Today I received a replated '36 version and a replated 'Sheraton'. You know me, these things of course had to come apart. At least for a little bit of extra cleaning 😄

In the process I found something quite interesting:

IMG_0651.JPGIMG_0652.JPG

The '36 model is held together by a very odd looking screw. Actually I don't know if it can be categorised as a "screw". I was able to take it out by using the same bit as on the British 'Aristocrats'. The one with the two small "legs". Furthermore to loosen the screw I had to screw counterclockwise like with many threads unlike with many of the other razors from Gillette.

In regards to the 'Sheraton' it behaved exactly like many of the 'Aristocrat'-models both the American and British ones. The screw is the same and the thread is opposite like "normal" so to loosen the screw you have to turn clockwise:

IMG_0649.JPGIMG_0650.JPG

Nevertheless I thought is was quite exiting to see the differences and obvious advantage of using a screw as a "stop"-mechanism unlike eg. the US '34-'Aristocrat' version.

A little education on a monday 😉

I have no input on how to take these razors apart, and more importantly, how to put them back together. But I do have both the '36 Aristocrat (American) and the '37 Sheraton. So I will be following this thread closely.

At issue: The heads on these 2 razors appear to be identical to my naked eye. But the Aristocrat (with its thick handle) shaves somewhat harshly. The Sheraton OTOH with its narrow handle is the smoothest shaving razor I own in my collection of 40 DE razors. What's going on here? Any thoughts of interest to me? (There is no visible damage to either razor.)

I have no input on how to take these razors apart, and more importantly, how to put them back together. But I do have both the '36 Aristocrat (American) and the '37 Sheraton. So I will be following this thread closely.

At issue: The heads on these 2 razors appear to be identical to my naked eye. But the Aristocrat (with its thick handle) shaves somewhat harshly. The Sheraton OTOH with its narrow handle is the smoothest shaving razor I own in my collection of 40 DE razors. What's going on here? Any thoughts of interest to me? (There is no visible damage to either razor.)
It's pretty straight forward when you get the hang of it 🙂

Do you have a phone with a good quality camera? I would very much like a photo taken from the bottom of the '36-'Aristocrat' that hopefully shows the same kind of "screw" like mine 🧐

I totally agree in terms of the head design. They look very similar and it's kind of odd that you are experiencing such a big difference in the shave. That difference in weight shouldn't have such an impact in my opinion. Although the older 'Aristocrat'-models are quite aggressive in general. At least the '34 was for me and don't get me started on the 'Popular'-models. That fella removed some skin 😅

Top Bottom