What's new

Disassembling and cleaning DE razor after each shave?

Got myself basic Merkur DE razor, and apparently cannot find the answer to a simple question (checked the FAQ - nothing about taking care of hardware):
do I have to dissassemble the razor and wash all the parts including blade separately? Or is it enough to splash it like the cartridge one? How to handle the blade then?

Thanks.

Tyler,

Give the razor a thorough rinse after each use. I clean mine on the weekend when I put in a new blade.

Randy

Hi,

I do it like Randy, rinse it after each shave and clean it completely when I change the blade...

Thomas

TomH said:
Hi,

I do it like Randy, rinse it after each shave and clean it completely when I change the blade...

Thomas

Yeah, I went through I think 3-4 blades without really thinking about scrubbing down the razor itself... then I noticed soap accumulating on it, especially the bottom of the blade compartment. Yup, gotta clean it occasionally but I don't think after every shave is necessary (nice maybe though).

After every shave, I boil my razor in water, sterilize using a UV, ozone, bleach, hydrocloric acid and heat process that I have designed specifically to treat my razors. I then polish my razor, using an industrial buffing wheel to a better-than-new gleaming finish. I then lubricate all moving and non-moving parts with a high grade teflon-graphite-lithium-kryptonite solution developed by NASA for use on critical components.

Unfortunately, the hydrocloric acid and repeated polishing causes a fair bit of wear, so a razor only lasts me a couple of shaves, but its worth it to know that I am always shaving with a clean, germ-free razor. This problem is compounded by the fact that the cleaning process takes several hours, which obviously makes it difficult to hold down a job, which in turn makes it difficult to afford to replace my razors...

The package you will receive tomorrow contains my razors--please clean them as described above and return them to me immediately.

Suzuki said:
After every shave, I boil my razor in water, sterilize using a UV, ozone, bleach, hydrocloric acid and heat process that I have designed specifically to treat my razors. I then polish my razor, using an industrial buffing wheel to a better-than-new gleaming finish. I then lubricate all moving and non-moving parts with a high grade teflon-graphite-lithium-kryptonite solution developed by NASA for use on critical components.

Unfortunately, the hydrocloric acid and repeated polishing causes a fair bit of wear, so a razor only lasts me a couple of shaves, but its worth it to know that I am always shaving with a clean, germ-free razor. This problem is compounded by the fact that the cleaning process takes several hours, which obviously makes it difficult to hold down a job, which in turn makes it difficult to afford to replace my razors...

Nice idea, I think it's easier to throw the razor together with the blades in the trashcan...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :w00t: :w00t:

Thomas

Mitch, you have answered my prayers and solved my problem - I will become a professional razor cleanser! This will allow me to continue to use the above-mentioned cleaning technique and earn enough money to replace my razors while simultaneously going through a 12-step program that will allow me to adopt a more simplified cleaning technique (perhaps I can do away with the hydrocloric acid if I substitute lye?).

I am happy to clean everyone's razor using my soon-to-be patented cleaning technique, with the caveat that your razors may come back smaller than when sent. Also, due to the cost of kryptonite, the cost of this process is approximately $1,000,000 per razor, although I am considering bulk discounts for B&B members - perhaps 5 razors for the price of 4.

Any other takers?

TomH said:
Nice idea, I think it's easier to throw the razor together with the blades in the trashcan...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :w00t: :w00t:

Thomas

But wouldn't that be the same as using one of those dreaded disposables?

Also, it would cost me a lot in blades to throw them out after every shave:lol:

I just got a couple of Shick injectors from e-bay that must have been the ones you were using for the past 39...

(In response to my query, the vendor said they were in great condition - I asked due to the crappy pictures - but they definitely need something akin to the process described above).

Not to hijack the thread..but kinda on the same subject...I have black tip Gillette in which the TTO is a little "scratchy", is there a way to take it apart to lubricate the mechanism or do I just drop a few drops of oil in there?? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Rafael

Don't you hate it when you mistake your high grade teflon-graphite-lithium-kryptonite solution for Taylor's Rose Skin Food?

When I make this mistake, I kiss my wife goodbye in the morning and end up being unable to make contact.

Who said that DE doesn't have its dangers? :cursing:

-joedy

Joedy said:
Don't you hate it when you mistake your high grade teflon-graphite-lithium-kryptonite solution for Taylor's Rose Skin Food?

When I make this mistake, I kiss my wife goodbye in the morning and end up being unable to make contact.

Who said that DE doesn't have its dangers? :cursing:

-joedy

Not nearly as much as when I make the same mistake with my bleach/hydrochloric acid mixture:w00t:

Top Bottom