What's new

Disappointng shave with my gold, ball end Tech

I am used to shaving with my ATT's, and Feather AS-D2. I had a Muhle R89, but gave it to my dad. All of these razors are fantastic shavers.

Shaved with my Tech yesterday and it was not anywhere near as good as the other heavier razors.

I think more than the aggressiveness is the weight issue. The Tech just didn't cut and flow as well as a heavier razor. I didn't notice it until I got a lot of shaves using the heavyweights. It's a good design, just WAY too light.

Probably not going to shave with it much. I don't want to ruin the gold matching, so a new handle is out unfortunately.

I think there's a significant change in technique required when you go from heavy to light or vice-versa. You could always put a heavier handle on it, but the balance will be different.

It's a gorgeous, perfect Gold Tech from about 1945-'50. Putting a different handle would ruin it in my opinion.

Will give a few more shaves, and if I can't stand it, I will sell it. I would hate to because I really love the look.

I'm struggling with the same issue with my English Tech. It has an aluminum handle so that doesn't help either. Not the best shaves, but I like the look.

I had two Techs, a 1946-1950 Canadian Tech, and a 1961 US Tech. After repeated uses, both are too mild in my opinion.

When I tried a "triangle-slot" Tech 1936-1945, what a difference, it is a much better razor for me, and the fat handle has a bit more weight.

To each his own. That's the beauty of DE shaving. If something works, run with it. If not, move on. Enjoy the shaves.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Try a Feather blade in your Tech before giving up on it; That's what I use in my English fat handle. Easy DFS.

Always use Feathers in all my razors. I think it may be just getting used to it again. Will try it again tomorrow.

Try a Feather blade in your Tech before giving up on it; That's what I use in my English fat handle. Easy DFS.

To each his own. That's the beauty of DE shaving. If something works, run with it. If not, move on. Enjoy the shaves.

+1

IME the weight of the razor has no influence in its efficiency (balance and feeling in the hand are a different thing), YMMV of course.

There's many great options out there.

I do love my Tech's, any variant, but there's something (I think) about the base plate that makes it difficult for me to keep onto that perfect angle. The same with my Rocket. Not sure what it is but there is something about Gillette razor's that make me take those extra couple of swipes, and that's with using heavier handles too. Rather than weight, maybe the configuration just isn't right for you either?

Top Bottom