What's new

Disappointing first straight razor shave

As chance would have it, I was in Las Vegas this past weekend and, influcenced by my recent education on this site into the pleasures of a fine shave, decided to pay for a straight razor shave. Across from my hotel was the Truefitt & Hill shop. I signed up and had a 35 minute shave from Nikki, who was a graduate of a barber college. Started with two hot towels, then pre-shave oil, one more hot towel, and then hot lather shaving cream (no brush was used), shaved, a cold towel and the comfort shave aftershave with a little 1805 cologne added. It was a relaxing, enjoyable experience, but when I really set to checkign out my face a few minutes later, I was disappointed to feel a good amount of stuble in some places that are easy to hit. She got all my tough spots, but missed some easy ones. Not very impressed.

Also, I had to really work on them to let mus use the sandalwood shaving cream instead of their "comfort shave" unscented stuff. Seems strange that for that price you wouldn't have your choice of shaving creams.

The shop was quite nice though and I had to restrain myself from not purchasing lots of products. My luck on the crap tables was not enough to cover my intender purchases.

Bummer big guy,

Did she at least have on 7" stilletto heels and wear a plumed headdress of ostrich feathers?

KUJO said:
Bummer big guy,

Did she at least have on 7" stilletto heels and wear a plumed headdress of ostrich feathers?

Not while my eyes were open, but when I closed them...you better believe it.

It seems like experienced DE shavers tend to get closer shaves at home than from getting a straight razor shave at a barber shop. I've always thought it would be neat to get an old fashioned barber shop straight razor shave, but after reading these forums, I think I'll pass.

Well it would seem as though you shared an experience similar to that of Mitch 's. Despite the barber colleges, etc. I think the smack of a straight on a leather strop is a sound I will reserve for reveries.:sad:
One thing though, at least you had the benefit of illusory ostrich plumes.:001_rolle

mscott said:
As chance would have it, I was in Las Vegas this past weekend and, influcenced by my recent education on this site into the pleasures of a fine shave, decided to pay for a straight razor shave. Across from my hotel was the Truefitt & Hill shop. I signed up and had a 35 minute shave from Nikki, who was a graduate of a barber college. Started with two hot towels, then pre-shave oil, one more hot towel, and then hot lather shaving cream (no brush was used), shaved, a cold towel and the comfort shave aftershave with a little 1805 cologne added. It was a relaxing, enjoyable experience, but when I really set to checkign out my face a few minutes later, I was disappointed to feel a good amount of stuble in some places that are easy to hit. She got all my tough spots, but missed some easy ones. Not very impressed.

Also, I had to really work on them to let mus use the sandalwood shaving cream instead of their "comfort shave" unscented stuff. Seems strange that for that price you wouldn't have your choice of shaving creams.

The shop was quite nice though and I had to restrain myself from not purchasing lots of products. My luck on the crap tables was not enough to cover my intender purchases.

It is actuall a faux pas among barbers to give a very close shave (unless specifically asked) as if they go a touch TOO aggressive, they'd leave your face irritated and perhaps bloody.... for what they charge, and for having such a ritzy establishment, having guys with sore red faces walking outta the chair would look awful bad. Everyone's skin sensitivity is different, so as a "rule of thumb" the idea is to get close, but not TOO close. It is more of a "relaxing" experience than anything else. I've had shaves all around the world (including trumpers) and I think nearly all of them have been medeocre at best in terms of closeness, but nearly ALL of them were relaxing, and "decadent." For what it's worth... as far as I am concerned, it isnt' a true straight razor shave without a strop and a brush, and even then, if you have more than a weeks worth of DE experience, you'll be able to give yourself a much better shave... On the other hand... get a straight razor, and in about a year - you'll be able to give yourself shaves no DE can TOUCH! Only problem is, straight razors are a lot of work, and require a ton of patience. For the average guy, your standard run of the mill DE is gonna be your ticket!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

zacharydz said:
On a side note: does anyone know if they give out samples at the T&H shop in Caesar's Palace in LV?

They do indeed give out samples. I got samples of some of their colognes. You kind of have to ask for them and they will "see what they have." I think that after I dropped that much on a straight razor shave, they could have been a little more generous. Still, you can get samples there.

Top Bottom