What's new

Disappointing evening

Hello gents,

As per usual, a pint of Guinness has been poured while I lined up the setup for the night. I love this moment. Tonight we had:

- MWF rebranded;
- Chubby 2 best;
- L&W sandalwood balm;
- Barberry Coast Bay Rum splash;
- Feather Artist Club SS;
- ProGuard blade.

proxy.php

Fantastic soap, great brush!
Brilliant lather. Nothing to complain.
Excepting the shaving itself... I’m using the shavette since maybe a couple of months ago. Exclusively. Once every couple of days. Took my time to improve my technique, practiced the left hand control, the angle adjustment, etc..
Tonight I finally accepted that it’s not my cup of tea. I forced myself to give it another chance, I struggled to like it, I can’t. I used it exclusively since it came in the postbox, all I can think of while shaving is my AS-D2 DE razor.
Butchered my face a couple of times at the beginning, now everything’s grand. Clean shaves, no nicks, no technical problems, but the pleasure. I did not enjoy a single shave.

Finished shaving, applied the balm and took a bit of time to clean the razor, the bathroom and to put everything back together.
Then, part of the routine... before leaving the bathroom I apply a wee bit of the Barberry Coast Bay Rum splash. I love the smell!!!
I didn’t even reach half of the bottle and the smell is not the same... it dissipated, it’s much lighter than before, the brilliant scent has been cut in half and replaced by an alcohol odour...
I’m so disappointed, it was my favourite splash....

Ahwell, better days will come.
I’m going back to my DE razor and hopefully one day I’ll find a splash as good as the BC has been (for a short time).

Cheers everyone, have a great New Year’s Eve and a brilliant 2019!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had an Artist Club DX for a good while but was never able to give it the attention it required or deserved to get a great shave from it. I eventually sold it as the mediocre results and much longer shave times were just not for me. The good news is that there are plenty of Artist Club SE razors if you like the assortment of blades.

I have never used a shavette or a straight blade, as I am strictly a safety razor -- DE blade shaver.
However, I really appreciate your reaching out to us and expressing your disappointment with your
evening shave. As you say ..... "Ahwell, better days will come." Yes indeed. Absolutely !
Now, pour yourself another pint of Guiness and enjoy a relaxing evening. Cheers , and Happy New Year.

Sorry to hear about the rough shave! Some folks take to it like fish to water, others have a bit of a challenge with it.

I’d put it away for now and come back to it later when you have time. You may find that your feelings change some. It does take a lot of patience, care, and regular use. 30ish shaves in learning the open blade razor is a great starting point, but still a long way to go in refining technique.

Still, one must do what one enjoys in this hobby! Glad you have a DE you enjoy!

Hello gents,

As per usual, a pint of Guinness has been poured while I lined up the setup for the night. I love this moment. Tonight we had:

- MWF rebranded;
- Chubby 2 best;
- L&W sandalwood balm;
- ProGuard blade.

proxy.php

Excepting the shaving itself... I’m using the shavette since maybe a couple of months ago. Exclusively. Once every couple of days. Took my time to improve my technique, practiced the left hand control, the angle adjustment, etc..
Tonight I finally accepted that it’s not my cup of tea. I forced myself to give it another chance, I struggled to like it, I can’t. I used it exclusively since it came in the postbox, all I can think of while shaving is my AS-D2 DE razor.
Butchered my face a couple of times at the beginning, now everything’s grand. Clean shaves, no nicks, no technical problems, but the pleasure. I did not enjoy a single shave.

Finished shaving, applied the balm and took a bit of time to clean the razor, the bathroom and to put everything back together.
Then, part of the routine... before leaving the bathroom I apply a wee bit of the Barberry Coast Bay Rum splash. I love the smell!!!
I didn’t even reach half of the bottle and the smell is not the same... it dissipated, it’s much lighter than before, the brilliant scent has been cut in half and replaced by an alcohol odour...

I’m going back to my DE razor and hopefully one day I’ll find a splash as good as the BC has been (for a short time).

I've often toyed with the idea of trying out a straight razor, but something has always held me back.

DEs and Straights are kind of like cigars vs. pipes. DEs are like cigars. Less "fussy" than straights (like pipes). Those who use straights, especially those who do their own honing, have my respect.

I tried straights years ago and went right back to DE razors. As the old saying goes, if it isn't broke don't "fix" it.

One of my mottoes is "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".
I see the appeal of trying something out of the ordinary, especially if it's anything remotely liker a "lost art". In the late '70s I had a straight razor and tried it a few times, but that was really before I had a clue about proper shaving technique, and I ended up giving it to an "off the grid" friend who could appreciate it.
Laterly I've been considering trying a shavette myself some day, but will not be disappointed if it turns out not to my liking.

Hello gents,

- MWF rebranded;
- Chubby 2 best;

Brilliant lather.

Better days will come!! Have a great New Year and 2019!! You are almost there! :a29:

Hello gents,

- MWF rebranded;
- Chubby 2 best;
- L&W sandalwood balm;
- ProGuard blade.

proxy.php

My vintage progression was initially a Schick Krona, Gillette SS ('47), New Long Comb, Old Type, Barbasol Floating Head, Schick Injector, and then some suggested a GEM Micromatic. Is was not until I learned to use the Micromatic with the proper blade angle did I come to understand the important of angle in cutting. I credit the MM with preparing me for the folding Feather SS.

I got the Feather in late September just shaving the sides of my face and using another razor for the curved areas. Things progressed and I learned to shave in the moment, planning each move, puffing out my cheeks, and coming to understand the only way to cut flesh is with a cutting angle. I also learned about beard reduction and the benefit of removing length in the first pass while leaving fine tuning with subsequent passes. I've never cared for ATG on my cheeks. I don't like the scrubbed feeling no matter if it does give a better result.

Muscle memory does not take long to build if the correct movements are done slowly initially. It's like learning to play a musical instrument.

I like to keep the straights in my fingers which I can do micro adjustments with those small muscles. This allows me to roll the shoulder slowly and follow the facial contours. These movements are easily transferable to any type of razor for practice.

There is nothing wrong with using more than one tool to get the job done. Lots of razors out there to enjoy and use. I hope you will be encouraged to enjoy and learn from this poor experience. Here is to your journey. :a4:

I have that same aftershave. I’ve only used it 3-4 times and like you I really enjoy the scent. However, it says on the bottle to shake before each use. Is it possible that you haven’t been shaking and therefore the major contents came out prior to the alcohol?

I used a straight razor for about a year in the mid-70s. I finally gave it up because of the time it took me to shave carefully, and the amount of maintenance required. I can get just as good shaves with safety razors, and the time investment is much less. I don't mean to disparage straight razors or shavettes, they just don't appeal to me.

Top Bottom