What's new

Disappointing Antique Store "pub crawl"

Settle in and enjoy a disgruntled rant.

Why are antique stores so disappointing in regards to shaving gear? It was an activity practiced daily by half the country's adult population. But going through several antique stores in Indiana over the weekend, I encounter virtually nothing. It is like American history in the 20th Century had most guys looking like ZZ Top or Rasputin. Out of exasperation, I bought a bakelite Shamrock DE razor, in box, with two tucks of original blades. It was that, or a tatty flare-tip SS, a manky, worn-out Gillette New, or a curved head underarm shaving doo-hickey for females. That was it!

But hey, there's always shaving mugs, right? Not one Old Spice Mug did I see. I saw three shaving mugs...but they were weird. No ridges or crenelations on the bottom of the mug to keep the puck from spinning and they had some strange ceramic cross-piece inside, near the rim of the mug, the purpose of which I could not discern. What is that cross-piece for? So I passed.

And don't get me started on "country crafts" or "primitive living" decor in antique stores. I want to see OLD stuff. Not newly crafted stuff pretending to be old.

Settle in and enjoy a disgruntled rant.

Why are antique stores so disappointing in regards to shaving gear? It was an activity practiced daily by half the country's adult population. But going through several antique stores in Indiana over the weekend, I encounter virtually nothing. It is like American history in the 20th Century had most guys looking like ZZ Top or Rasputin. Out of exasperation, I bought a bakelite Shamrock DE razor, in box, with two tucks of original blades. It was that, or a tatty flare-tip SS, a manky, worn-out Gillette New, or a curved head underarm shaving doo-hickey for females. That was it!

But hey, there's always shaving mugs, right? Not one Old Spice Mug did I see. I saw three shaving mugs...but they were weird. No ridges or crenelations on the bottom of the mug to keep the puck from spinning and they had some strange ceramic cross-piece inside, near the rim of the mug, the purpose of which I could not discern. What is that cross-piece for? So I passed.

And don't get me started on "country crafts" or "primitive living" decor in antique stores. I want to see OLD stuff. Not newly crafted stuff pretending to be old.
I understand fully your frustration. We have a few giant antique malls within 30 minutes of me, and I rarely find anything. The only exception was the very first time I visited the one just down the street and scored a Slim Adjustable in great condition for $15 and a SuperSpeed in mint condition, also for $15. Since then, nothing. Its a shame because I really enjoy the hunt and finding a great piece out in the wild, but it has been discouraging lately.

Great post @AshleyC that gave me a good laugh. Totally sums up how i feel getting skunked at every antique store. I even once went to a MASSIVE antique warehouse in Vermont and came away so disappointed i swore off it for good. They had their own “shaving” section with nothing but rusty injectors, TONS of awful 60’s electric razors and vintage blades that look like they survived Vietnam in some GI’s helmet. Just a huge strike out. Never again. If i get another razor it’ll be shiny and new.

I understand fully your frustration. We have a few giant antique malls within 30 minutes of me, and I rarely find anything. The only exception was the very first time I visited the one just down the street and scored a Slim Adjustable in great condition for $15 and a SuperSpeed in mint condition, also for $15. Since then, nothing. Its a shame because I really enjoy the hunt and finding a great piece out in the wild, but it has been discouraging lately.

I suspect we have met the enemy...and it is us.

Great post @AshleyC that gave me a good laugh. Totally sums up how i feel getting skunked at every antique store. I even once went to a MASSIVE antique warehouse in Vermont and came away so disappointed i swore off it for good. They had their own “shaving” section with nothing but rusty injectors, TONS of awful 60’s electric razors and vintage blades that look like they survived Vietnam in some GI’s helmet. Just a huge strike out. Never again. If i get another razor it’ll be shiny and new.

Barring the appearance of some weird French or German razor, which is unlikely in Ohio, I guess my vintage razor needs are met.

The newly manufactured stuff is acquiring an appeal.

Visiting antique stores gives one the impression the primary activity of the 20th Century was drinking coffee. Coffee mugs abound.

Which led me to an idea. What if you could add lumps or ridges to the bottom of a coffee mug, using adhesive strips, etc., to create a new shaving mug?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve not had good luck with antique stores. There’s a town near me that is known for it’s antique stores. It’s a small town but it’s just basically all antique stores and country stores. I walked the town one day visiting all the stores and it’s just a show for tourists. Absolutely no negotiation with the stores is what really irks me. Every store is consignment. It’s like a corporate antique town. The only saving grace is a restaurant with really awesome food, and an ice cream store with really awesome ice cream.

Then there’s the town I work in. Has a nice downtown with a few antique stores. But guess what...same freaking thing. No negotiation. Consignment. Same stuff sitting on the shelves that was there 4 years ago when I stopped in...and still....they won’t negotiate. One store has a Gillette Toggle in the case, looks really clean. They’ve had it in the same display case for 5 years. But I’m not gonna give you $150 for it. Because I know you paid $5. Or got it from an estate sale along with 9,000 other things at an incredibly low price. Or someone just gave it to you. And they won’t come off the price. Ridiculous

Visiting antique stores gives one the impression the primary activity of the 20th Century was drinking coffee. Coffee mugs abound.

Which led me to an idea. What if you could add lumps or ridges to the bottom of a coffee mug, using adhesive strips, etc., to create a new shaving mug?
You can create your own bowl, mug, etc..by epoxying flat bottom glass gems to the bottom of your chosen container
7AC6F50B-B1BB-4139-B931-A193761A344D.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m sure the vast majority of people still think “this old razor? Who’s gonna want that?” And throw it out.

I’ve not had good luck with antique stores. There’s a town near me that is known for it’s antique stores. It’s a small town but it’s just basically all antique stores and country stores. I walked the town one day visiting all the stores and it’s just a show for tourists. Absolutely no negotiation with the stores is what really irks me. Every store is consignment. It’s like a corporate antique town. The only saving grace is a restaurant with really awesome food, and an ice cream store with really awesome ice cream.

Then there’s the town I work in. Has a nice downtown with a few antique stores. But guess what...same freaking thing. No negotiation. Consignment. Same stuff sitting on the shelves that was there 4 years ago when I stopped in...and still....they won’t negotiate. One store has a Gillette Toggle in the case, looks really clean. They’ve had it in the same display case for 5 years. But I’m not gonna give you $150 for it. Because I know you paid $5. Or got it from an estate sale along with 9,000 other things at an incredibly low price. Or someone just gave it to you. And they won’t come off the price. Ridiculous

Sounds like Waynesville, Ohio.

And nearby Lebanon.

Could the 'slim pickings' have resulted from new DE shavers buying up all the antique store shaving items?

I suspect we have met the enemy...and it is us.

Barring the appearance of some weird French or German razor, which is unlikely in Ohio, I guess my vintage razor needs are met.

The newly manufactured stuff is acquiring an appeal.

Sorry!! Very frustrating here also. :a13:

I have always done better in antique shops out on little country roads. Less foot traffic had always been a boon in my ability to find interesting things. It seems like people in the country don't like to throw things away, so I find my odds are always better.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I think I'm known for my rants on the dearth of shaving stuff at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales -- especially in my neck of the woods. I recently took a driving vacation through 4 states, hitting as many antique stores and flea markets as I could find....I found ZERO razors, but got a referral for a "guy" who sells vintage razor stuff next to his barbershop. Called, texted and emailed him (store was closed, only a number and email address) -- never heard back from him. I can live with the fact that those honey-holes have mostly dried up as resources (what choice do I have) -- I'm just annoyed that they USED to be so good, and I missed it!!! The historical stories of "I found a cased Double-Ring for $5 and they threw in 2 Lather Catchers in their original tins and a Toggle as part of the deal" --my frustration is that I'm old enough to have been on of those guys if I had just discovered wet shaving earlier!!!

On a more serious note, what I heard on my razor-antique-roadtrip most often is "we used to have a guy that sold that stuff" or "I used to sell that stuff in my store"; but they/he decided it was a quicker and more profitable sale to do it on on our favorite auction site. And while I'm sure some people do just "chuck" the stuff in the trash; I think the number of eBay listings, and "estate sales", which used to be more Rockefeller-like Estates, but now are more like Rock-the-feller-next-door estates -- suggest that people have found they can make a few bucks from ANYTHING they can take a pic of and post.

Okay -- gotta take a breath and step away. Should've just said, "yep, same here and I feel you pain"! :001_rolle

superglue pennies to the bottom of a mug or bowl, works great!

I have always done better in antique shops out on little country roads. Less foot traffic had always been a boon in my ability to find interesting things. It seems like people in the country don't like to throw things away, so I find my odds are always better.
Yeah, small town shops seem to be better. Shops in Atlanta have had the same overpriced shaving stuff for years.

Top Bottom