What's new

Disappointed with No. 63

Agreed.

Blooming is used as a method for people who don't know how to load a triple milled puck properly. The same as adding glycerine or cream to a soap to make it work. A lather product should be able to stand on its own, if it can't, it's not worth using.
Some people will bloom a soap for nothing more than releasing the fragrance while they prep. My latest T&H Apsley puck came with a divot on top, presumably for this purpose. Just don't toss out that bit of water if you were to bloom is all.

The thing with #63 is it is an extremely hard soap, hard like a rock. That means it takes either a stiff brush such as a larger boar, or a longer length of time to get enough soap.

It may be easier to lather if you can remove the soap from the tin and hold it in one hand. That way, you won't be constrained by the size of the container. Just use the tin for storage.

My favorite brush for #63 is a larger boar such as the Omega 49.
This is the method I use for most all my harder pucks. There are a lot of pucks which are of the Hard variety, I've really only seen MWF described as problematic.

I started out using PdP with my regular, go to badger brushes (Paladin, Simpson) and couldn't get it dialed in. I was discouraged as I don't normally have issues with soaps. I tried a couple boars (Semogue), using various methods, no luck.

Finally, I gave some inexpensive synthetics (RR) a try and they just clicked. It took a bit of adjustment in terms of loading with an almost dry brush, but it just worked for me. I know others have conquered PdP 63 with badgers, so know it was my own user error. That said, once I got it dialed in with a $15 synthetic, I enjoyed my shaves and have used that brush for almost an entire year now and started to look at adding a couple more synthetics to my brush rotation.
I was going to recommend using a proper Synthetic until you get the lather working, something along the lines of a RR Bruce or Simpson T3. Just dip the tips and load - squeeze out and repeat if using a larger bowl. Add water along the way and you should be golden.

Personally, I just can't get on with the feel of a Synth while face lathering, but I cannot dispute their ability to create lather in a bowl.

PdP No 63 is great scent.
Give it some time and be patient.
I'm sure you'll get a nice lather.
Follow with a cedar something!

pre de provence 63 art of shaving kai l'occitane baux november 9 2018.jpg

I tried it again tonight. I used a fairly wet brush and I loaded for 60 seconds. I had to add a few drops of water later. I timed it so I could be consistent. Things worked out much better. I think I am going to like this soap.
Thank you guys for your help and ideas. This is what I used tonight.

No63.jpg

it's weird how some have different experiences with a particular shave soap. PDP for me is an easy soap to lather despite it being a very hard soap. I think it makes more sense to user a wet brush when loading. using a dry brush won't pick up much soap. Just wet the brush and give it a gentle squeeze and load your soap. PDP is extremely to lather. it's strange how you are having problems with it. I use only synthetic brushes and can lather any shave triple milled soaps with ease.

I tried it again tonight. I used a fairly wet brush and I loaded for 60 seconds. I had to add a few drops of water later. I timed it so I could be consistent. Things worked out much better. I think I am going to like this soap.
Thank you guys for your help and ideas. This is what I used tonight.

View attachment 1587104
loading 60 seconds is really not necessary. you should be able to pick up enough soap (given that your brush is somewhat moist/wet), with a 20-30 second load. I know this because I have done many test lathers with PDP and PDP no 63 and it's an easy soap to lather.

Stay Pretty Darn Persistent and by the 63rd try you'll have it down well!

Great soap... great scent. I'm trottin' off now for my evening shave. You know what? I think I'll grab my puck of PDP 63.

Top Bottom