What's new

Disappointed with new Land's End slacks

I've worn Land's End casual slacks for far more years than I care to recall, dating back to when they were largely known as a supplier to boaters and sailors. During most of that time they sold reliable, conventional clothing that fit my budget.

I recently purchased a pair of casual grey chinos, and realized this morning as I was putting them on that there are only 5 belt loops. Has cost cutting gotten to the point that ten cent belt loops are too extensive? This is ridiculous. Since I have been a customer for so long I will write them and voice my negative opinion, but since they are now owned by Sears I don't expect that anything will change.

Whose chinos do you like in the $40 range?

Land's End's quality has diminished over the years and their "quality" items are sub labeled as Land's End Canvas. Their trying to do what Gant, LL Bean, and other brands have done to make a luxury sub-brand. It's more money for them. I would recommend Bass, Nautica, Old Navy, and checkout your outlets like Marshall's and Ross. Docker's are hit an miss because their are so many variety in styles and prices.

Dockers D4 fit feels great, and have been durable for me. I don't like the D3 fit when siting down, as it is tight on my thighs, but it looks awesome.

Another long time Lands End customer here. I feel abandoned by them, it's a very different customer base they're catering to now. I'm outta here.

With their guarantee, you should probably be able to send them back, no questions asked. I once returned a polo shirt to them that had started to fray after 5 years of wear-they replaced it and apologized for not being able to exactly match the color. Great service.

I've always carried Land's End Deluxe Attache cases (leather trimmed heavy canvas), but won't be buying another since, as others have stated, their quality and product line is certainly different than it was back in the day. I've had two last me 15 years each. That product doesn't exist any longer.

I find most Dockers to be good quality, and all the pairs I own are easy to iron (cotton) and my dockers that are all polyester never actually need ironing. If you're lucky, you can find a few decent pairs on a Kohls clearance rack ($10 in my size!) but I think they are definitely worth the money.

I vastly prefer seven belt loops to five -- seven keep the belt where it belongs, with no awkward creeping up. But except on good dress pants, it's harder to find seven these days, as you discovered with your Lands End khakis. The same thing seems true with button shirts ... they seem to need an extra button. Otherwise, the bottom button is barely as waist level.

I guess the cost isn't much per shirt or pair of trousers, but when multiplied by the thousands, it can add up. Still, I'd rather pay an extra dollar or two for shirts and slacks the fit properly (and look good).

I've had two different pair of Dockers suffer from "zipper failure," once at work (zipper came off in my hands, and could not be easily replaced). I'm done with Dockers.

I've worn Land's End casual slacks for far more years than I care to recall, dating back to when they were largely known as a supplier to boaters and sailors. During most of that time they sold reliable, conventional clothing that fit my budget.

I recently purchased a pair of casual grey chinos, and realized this morning as I was putting them on that there are only 5 belt loops. Has cost cutting gotten to the point that ten cent belt loops are too extensive? This is ridiculous. Since I have been a customer for so long I will write them and voice my negative opinion, but since they are now owned by Sears I don't expect that anything will change.

Whose chinos do you like in the $40 range?

I had sworn by Lands End chinos for 20 years. Recently, the fabric and the workmanship has slipped noticeably.

I recently bought a pair of LL Bean chinos and have been very happy.

Lands End quality has deteriorated noticeably. I used to swear by their dress shirts, but recently had one come apart in the wash.

Not only has quality gone down, but they raised their prices substantially.

I've been a customer since 1983. Now I'm looking elsewhere.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Due to my job in the chemical field, I go through pants quite fast (pants do not like acid....). So, for my work slacks, I buy them from the whole sale clubs, in my case, I found some nice ones at BJ's Wholesale club. Whenever we are at BJ's we look for my size and often my wife comes home with a couple. They are very comfortable and holding up quite well (I have always a couple new ones in navy and chalk in my closest). If they are showing the first holes, they gone - no big loss.
For occasions I do not have to be in a lab or a customers plant, I have a few Barbour slacks I got from Orvis -great quality, holding up for many years. I also still have a couple of the good old Brooks Bros. chinos, bought in 1997....and still looking good.

I have some JCrew khakis from the outlet that are holding up very well. I've probably had them for about 5 years and wear them once a week for the last two.

Banana Republic doesn't wear well. I bought some Lands End pants for $25, but the bottoms were much too tight for the look I like. The only LL Bean pants I have are the flannel lined khakis, and they don't get too much use. Dockers for my build have always been a bit "wide".

Last edited:
Bill's Khakis are more expensive but I believe they're a good value​. They'll outlast any of the above mentioned brands. Seriously well constructed. Also, still made in the US, not in some sweat shop in a 3rd world country.

Top Bottom