What's new

Dirty Brush

Got a new replacement Tweezerman brush in the mail today. I did my routine cleaning of the brush and got some of the most disgusting brown filth out of the brush. Trying to get the awful wet dog smell out of the brush, I built a later in the bowl and the lather had a yellowish brown color. Is this typical of a lot of brushes? I know my EJ Pure never did that.

I have had a few brushes do that. I must admit I was shocked at the first one I had that resulted in what you described. It seem to change or hurt anything, but I didn't want to put that stuff to my face. I just considered that a "cleansing lather," rinsed it out, and cleaned it until the goop stopped.
I would say that there is nothing to worry about. :)

I have an Escali (Tweezerman's competitor) and it smelled horrible, but not dirty. A new Van Der Hagen I just got for replacement was a LITTLE dirty, but not much.

My solution to a REALLY bad smelling badger brush was:
Tide Liquid and Clorox 2 Color-Safe Bleach. Mix the two together and let the brush sit in it for 45 minutes to an hour, agitating the brush thourougly. When just about done, scrub the brush with your fingers, and dip and then squeeze brush repeatdly – it will foam from soap. Rinse, and let dry. 95%+ of the animal smell will be gone. Repeat process if necessary.
I tried dish soap and vinegar and neither would get the smell out no matter how many times I washed it, but the Tide & Clorox worked the 1st time.

I wasn't going to run out and buy $8 worth of laundry detergent JUST for a brush, so I used what I had on hand and it worked great.

Last edited:
Generally, you can use your favorite shave soap, bowl lather using the new brush and leave the lather on the brush overnight. Rinse it off in the morning and it should be nearly odor free.

Vie-Longs are excellent brushes but damn do they show up dirty and stinky!

I've seen the brown lather you mention when cleaning them. They are worth it in the long run, but they have some filth and funk when new.

I've found the best way to get rid of that funky smell is to give the brush a couple of good shampoo's with tea tree oil shampoo, followed by a good rinse with tea tree oil conditioner. This has always worked for me.

I'm glad I've never experienced that.
Simpson, Jagger, Whipped Dog, and Rudy Vey, and even a Frank's turnback travel brush.

The Whipped Dog came with a packet of Oxy Clean, but I did not need it.

Of any of them, I would have expected the Frank's and Whipped Dog based on their prices, but I've seen no discoloration in the lather of any of them on first use.

Top Bottom