What's new

Directions for preparing tofu

Tofu shaming.

I believe that is now politically incorrect to tofu shame.

If a food product is neither fish nor fowl. Neither meat, nor vegetable, but rather "self identifies" as tofu, who are we to judge?

Its not as if tofu was a gold medal winning athelete that all of a sudden decided to get a boob job and parade around in dresses, now is it?

So, let's just let tofu be the simple soybean curd that it is, and be thankful they aren't optioning it as the next subject of a "reality" TV show, OK?

In the lovely sophisticated humorous spirit:

Instructions for "How to prepare a non-tofu steak":

1. Put car in reverse
2. Run over the animal a second time to make sure its dead (optional)
3. Cook (also optional but if skipped, non vegan tartar sauce is recommended)

Last edited:
Tofu shaming.

I believe that is now politically incorrect to tofu shame.

If a food product is neither fish nor fowl. Neither meat, nor vegetable, but rather "self identifies" as tofu, who are we to judge?

Its not as if tofu was a gold medal winning athelete that all of a sudden decided to get a boob job and parade around in dresses, now is it?

So, let's just let tofu be the simple soybean curd that it is, and be thankful they aren't optioning it as the next subject of a "reality" TV show, OK?
Seems to me that nothing self-identifies as tofu. Rather, tofu self-identifies as what ever it is cooked with.

$stake.jpeg
$stake.jpeg

I could not disagree more, thanks to the knowledge I gained from marrying a Japanese woman.

Tofu can take so many different forms and be prepared in so many remarkably tasty ways.

Anybody who dismisses it...your loss.

I don't think we've ever prepared tofu at home.
(Wait, there were those tofu hot dogs. Ugghhhh.)

But my favorite Chinese restaurant has the best hot and sour soup I've ever eaten. The tofu in it is part of the experience. The mix of flavors and textures is so amazing in their soup!

I don't think we've ever prepared tofu at home.
(Wait, there were those tofu hot dogs. Ugghhhh.)

But my favorite Chinese restaurant has the best hot and sour soup I've ever eaten. The tofu in it is part of the experience. The mix of flavors and textures is so amazing in their soup!

In defense of tofu, I can't go to a Chinese restaurant and not get the hot and sour soup.

I thought you were supposed to feed the tofu to the hog, in order to fatten him up and fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming babybacks, spareribs, hams, picnic shoulders, jowls, sausage, pork knuckles, cheeks, loins, chops, and bacon

I have to take issue with step #1. There is an inherent implication that one would have already purchased tofu in order for this step to be applicable. There is an obvious paradox in that no "right thinking" person would allow such a vile substance to cross their threshold in the first place.

Carry on . . .

I'd have to give up DE shaving to be able to afford a dead quadruped alternative to tofu... or resort to roadkill.
dave

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Hot and sour soup is one of the few things tofu is good in. I think there's usually tofu in Miso too

captp

I have to take issue with step #1. There is an inherent implication that one would have already purchased tofu in order for this step to be applicable. There is an obvious paradox in that no "right thinking" person would allow such a vile substance to cross their threshold in the first place.
Carry on . . .
This is for those times when tofu somehow mysteriously appears in your home and you're wondering what to do with it

To name just some of the excellent tofu treats I regularly enjoy for dinner:

1. Mabo dofu: Chinese in origin but very popular in Japan. Ground meat of choice, sautéed with tofu and a spicy ginger-garlic sauce. Served over rice.

2. Seasoned ground chicken/tofu patties.

3. Atsu age: This is a thicker, denser tofu, sliced and either deep-fried or sautéed in oil. It has a crispy crust and reminds me almost of miniature slices of French toast. Served as a side dish.

4. Blocks of tofu with a splash of soy sauce, minced scallion, and fish flakes (katsuo bushi).

There's also a brand of tofu called "Johnny" that is like a dairy dessert in texture and taste.

I look at some of the posts here and just shake my head. They're all wet.

When we have chocolate pudding i make a vegan version using Silken tofu rather then dairy, absolutely delicious, topped of course with mounds of whipped cream.
dave

captp

When we have chocolate pudding i make a vegan version using Silken tofu rather then dairy, absolutely delicious, topped of course with mounds of whipped cream.
dave
The whipped cream kills it being vegan

Exactly, i make the pudding not because it's vegan but because it tastes great, i'd have no issues making it with dairy but since making it with tofu haven't bothered with any other recipes.

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?" (PF)
dave

Last edited:
I dry-cure and smoke my own bacon, am currently curing three Lonza (pork loins; ready by Christmas) and a whole prosciutto (nine months to go), make my own salami, love a rare free-range grass-fed steak (because that's the only kind sold in this country), went hunting in my younger days, am the proud owner of a Kamado Joe - and I enjoy and regularly cook tofu.
Just last night I made myself a Sundubu Jjigae (Google it) with plenty of soft tofu in it and it was divine.
If someone doesn't know how to cook, that's fine by me; it's the revelling in the fact and the wilful culinary ignorance that I find difficult to understand.

Last edited:
I've grown to appreciate Korean cuisine a good deal. Not long ago I had a kimchi jjigae in Manhattan's Koreatown that was great.
The Korean soft tofu soups are a treat too.

Top Bottom