What's new

Direction to Run/Bike on Roads

Street Running/Biking

• With traffic

• Against traffic

Results are only viewable after voting.
When I run outside, I do it on the street because the asphalt has more give than a cement sidewalk. It's better for my joints. I run against traffic because I want to give myself a chance to avoid a car if it's coming at me. Which direction to you run/bike: with or against traffic?

The law says you bike on the street with the flow of traffic, but I often bike on the sidewalk or against the flow because I feel much safer that way.

I passed an accident two weeks ago where a cyclist had been hit by a car. I saw paramedics performing CPR on the guy... and it scared the hell out of me. I never saw this story covered in the paper, so I have no idea if he lived or not.

I didn't know biking with traffic was the law. I bike on trails and in mountains so it never came up. I guess that hurts my poll. :blush: :lol:

Bad poll, I can't choose an answer because it is too limited.

The laws for bicycling and the rules (not law, but perhaps so in some areas) for walking on public roadways are two different things. It's all about safety in both cases.

Law requires that bicycles navigate roadways as a vehicle in the same manner as other vehicles on the road. That means going with the traffic, not impeding the flow by going against it.

It is greatly encouraged everywhere to walk facing into the traffic (against the flow) if you must walk on a roadway of the edge of it. That is so you can see what's coming.

And I honestly wish that joggers would stay off the roadways, especially if there is a sidewalk. I've had way too many near misses.

run/walk against traffic. Bike with traffic

Telly you should try trail running, or running in the park. Much better for your joints than asphalt and concrete.

Bikes, for these purposes, are vehicles and go on the street with the flow of traffic. I walk every day to/from work, and I cannot tell you how many times I've been crashed into, sideswiped, or had the hair on my arm scared off because of some near-miss. I really wish they'd follow the law and leave the sidewalk safe for us pedestrians. Its not like the roads I walk along aren't plenty wide.

run/walk against traffic. Bike with traffic

Telly you should try trail running, or running in the park. Much better for your joints than asphalt and concrete.

Unfortunately, the trails aren't near me. I try to run regularly and that would mean driving to the trails first.

Wow, just................Wow.

Sorry but if you don't ride a bike on the street, it's possible that you don't know the laws. That's like expecting someone who doesn't own a car in NJ to know the laws for filling your car with gas. In NJ, it's against the law for drivers to use the pump themselves; the attendant has to do it for you.

I can't vote because I learned to do diffrent things. When bikeing you run with the current of traffic and obay traffic rules, when walking or running you run against the current of traffic so you can see what is coming at you...

Unfortunately, the trails aren't near me. I try to run regularly and that would mean driving to the trails first.

Sorry but if you don't ride a bike on the street, it's possible that you don't know the laws. That's like expecting someone who doesn't own a car in NJ to know the laws for filling your car with gas. In NJ, it's against the law for drivers to use the pump themselves; the attendant has to do it for you.

It's against the law in Michigan to start your own car, which is utterly ridicules now that you don't have to get out and physically crank the engine over, I assume pumping your own gas is an antiquated law as well?

When I run outside, I do it on the street because the asphalt has more give than a cement sidewalk. It's better for my joints. I run against traffic because I want to give myself a chance to avoid a car if it's coming at me. Which direction to you run/bike: with or against traffic?

+1

It's against the law in Michigan to start your own car, which is utterly ridicules now that you don't have to get out and physically crank the engine over, I assume pumping your own gas is an antiquated law as well?

actually somebody blew themselves up recently on long island and now we have the no pumping your own gas law as well

I don't know when it was put on the books but it's an active law. Gas stations can be fined heavily if they allow you to do it. I live in NY but gas is cheaper in Jersey and I live near the border. :cool:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Never pi$$ of the cops in Michigan ... you'll forever be getting tickets! :lol:

(Up here in BC, it's now mandatory to pay for your gas before you pump it.)

Top Bottom