What's new

Dipping my toes into straight razor shaving

I am new to Badger and Blade, so forgive me if ask something that has been covered a million times. I learned to shave with a double edge safety razor , but then Got caught up in the world of disposable razors for a number of years. I just got back into this type of shaving about a year ago. But I am attempting straight razor shaving and had a question regarding straight razors versus shavettes. My question is is there a different approach in using a shavette versus the straight razor ? Or would it be the same technique ? Thanks in advance

I am new to Badger and Blade, so forgive me if ask something that has been covered a million times. I learned to shave with a double edge safety razor , but then Got caught up in the world of disposable razors for a number of years. I just got back into this type of shaving about a year ago. But I am attempting straight razor shaving and had a question regarding straight razors versus shavettes. My question is is there a different approach in using a shavette versus the straight razor ? Or would it be the same technique ? Thanks in advance
Welcome to B&B. I followed the same path you did over 5 years ago. I purchased a shavette to make the switch from a DE razor. IMHO the only thing that feels the same is the way you hold both a shavette and a regular straight.
The blade used in a shavette will have a completely different feel against your skin than a real straight blade. I think it’s less forgiving than a real straight meaning easier to cut yourself. I think if you use a shavette a few times to get your muscle memory started you’ll see what I’m talking about. Good luck and don’t give up. Just make sure whatever straight you try for your first attempt make sure it’s truly shave ready so you don’t get discouraged.
Not all vendors who sell new straights sell them as being really shave ready.

Thanks for the info. I have used both and se what you're saying. I hacked my face with the shavette, but got through a full pass on the straight. Didnt know how much was me or the difference in the two.

Thanks for the info. I have used both and se what you're saying. I hacked my face with the shavette, but got through a full pass on the straight. Didnt know how much was me or the difference in the two.
Glad you understood what I was trying to convey to you!

I plan to work my way up to a better razor. Have to the hang of it first before dropping money on the good stuff. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

when i got into straights, i got custom made kamisori razor with a Japanese grind. i knew nothing about straights did zero research. i was browsing the internet for shaving stuff, when i saw the razor i bought it on a whim and decided to get into straights.

when i received it, i didn't shave with it for a while. it looked scary. i started to do some research, watched videos, finally got around to using it. i tested it on my stomach, and it was really smooth. before i used it on my face, i stropped it, not knowing what i was doing, i rolled the edge.

i found a local guy that would hone it for me again, he also had razors for sale, one of which was a vintage rugby Japanese razor, that i heard good things about on this forum. so i purchased it from him and he made it shave ready and stropped it. i shaved with this razor for the first time believing that im gonna have a bad shave.

at this point i was too invested in straights to quit, so i needed to get this first shave out the way.

before i purchased this second razor from the hone master, i had already ordered another straight from koraat that i hadn't received this yet. with this three razors i was already about 900$ deep. ( now that im calculating this, im thinking damn what have i done ) i did extra prep before the shave, got my best preshave and soap and brush. I am fairly skinny and my adams apple is huge, so i didnt risk shaving around that yet. the rest of my neck and my cheeks though, i shaved with with the straight and lined up my beard so clean it looked like i drew it in. to my surprise, this was the smoothest shave i ever had in my life, my skin felt smoother then a electric shave. i did a few more shaves with it until it came time to strop it. but im hesitant to strop the razor though. i feel like i need to buy a cheaper razor and practice stropping with that before i strop this razor. i dont even want to touch the koraat yet. my original strop is kinda scratched up on the leather, because i practice stropped it with a razor with a chipped bevel. so i put straights on hold right now until i get the right gear. i cant wait to get back to it though. some of the most fun shaves.

if you want to get into straight i recommend, you get a decent straight and strop, and practice on that.
once you get a few shaves in and got stropping down, you can get nicer stuff. dont worry about honing yet. get a professional hone if needed, but until you can strop real good dont even get a stone. once your ready for a stone. all you should really need is the finishing stone to touch up your blade from time to time. if you drop or chip the bevel, get it professionally fixed, specially if you have a special razor. unless your into all that stuff then by all means.

here are my razors in the order received.
Untitled.png
something special coming soon

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

A lot depends on what type of shavette you use. Some use DE blades snapped in half. This gives you a very cheap source of blades and a variety of brands. My favorite DE blade is the Feather, and if you buy 100 online you are getting your blades in best case scenario for a little over 20 cents each. I get I guess about 7 shaves from each half. The lower shave angle means that blades last longer in a shavette than a DE razor. Plus you have two halves. So I get 14 or 15 shaves from one 20 cent blade. Well under two cents per shave. So economically speaking, a good quality DE blade is best and one of the shavettes that use that type blade is best. BUT, DE blades flex a lot, and some shavettes allow a lot of flop and slop in the blade holder. Also DE blades are not very long, much shorter than a straight razor's edge. Some other types use hair shaper blades or proprietary blades.

What all shavettes have in common is they allow you to always shave with a very sharp edge. The average straight razor edge is somewhat less sharp though some guys can create edges that equal a very good DE blade. Shavettes and extremely sharp straights will shave best with a very low shave angle. Nearly dragging the spine on the face. Some shavettes have a holder that intrudes into the shave angle plane a lot, and prevent a very tight shave angle. Some do not. But the tightest angle at which the edge contacts the skin is a pretty good place to start. The average straight razor works best with a gap between the razor spine and the face equal to the spine's thickness, more or less. The pressure between razor and face will usually be lighter than with a straight razor, again depending on the relative sharpness. Shavettes that hold the blade off the skin at low angles must either be used with a bigger angle, or with a bit of extra pressure, to shave well. Others work less with essentially zero pressure. The idea is to simply scoop off the lather and let the whiskers just come away with the lather.

Other than angle and pressure, pretty much the same. Well, also you might want to double down on your efforts at stretching the skin to be shaved. Tight skin resists cuts. And many straight razors have heel or toe that is not as sharp as the main part of the edge, and this helps prevent digging into the skin by the toe or heel. Shavette blades are more eager to gouge into the skin with the sharp toe or heel so watch the ends of the blade carefully as you shave.

Shavettes are not really a gateway drug to straight shaving. They are a compromise that allows a straight-like shave experience without a lot of extra paraphernalia. They are mostly cheaper than a straight razor though there are exceptions. However, the main concepts are similar and if you can shave without cuts or irritation with a shavette, you can do it with a straight, though it might take a couple of shaves to adapt.

I agree with Slash, except to say that there is a world of difference between a shavette that takes a DE blade or half a DE blade and one that takes Artist Club blades.

I use a Feather SS and I use Schick Proline blades. The blades are definitely pricier, but I get a month out of each blade. They are sold in packs of 30, so a single pack is 2.5 years of shaving. It's actually pretty darned cheap.

The Feather SS, because of the little bulge/lip next to where it holds the blade, is not really any more likely to cut you than a straight razor is; if anything, it seems slightly LESS likely, because the corners of the blade are rounded off and dull, so you don't ever catch a point on the skin.

I have over 400 open blade shaves under my belt (relative beginner compared with some people on this forum, but not a complete newbie). 150 of those have been with the Feather SS shavette. YMMV, and everybody has a different opinion, but I actually prefer the Feather SS with Schick Proline blades to a conventional old-school straight razor. It's easy, it's fun. There's no upkeep. You can take it apart and clean it completely if you feel compelled. Blade changes are a breeze. It provides a close, smooth, comfortable shave RELIABLY, shave after shave. That was my main problem with straights. Some days are much better than others, and edge care has to be meticulous in order to minimize the variability. I just enjoy the reliable, predictable ability of the SS to provide me with smooth, comfortable, and safe shaves over and over again.

Just my own personal opinion. I tried about 9 different straights over the course of a couple of years, honed by at least three different honemeisters. I got some wonderful shaves and had some good fun, but the Feather SS, overall, is a better experience for ME.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You just have to learn to strop properly which isn’t any harder than shaving. I’ve got 87 shaves on a razor with nothing but stropping to maintain it.

I dislike shavettes. I love traditional straights. I still use a DE much of the time but every now and then I bring out the straights and shave that way.

Using a traditional straight is much more comfortable than using a shavette and a shavette has none of the feel and vibe IMO of a traditional straight.

Taking care of the blade of a traditional straight is not hard either. The only problem is initially when you are trying to learn how to shave with it and trying to learn how to keep it sharp at the same time.

I now have hones and all kinds of ways to sharpen blades but all I really need to do is to strop and maybe use a little paste every now and then. I have about 6 nice straights so I rarely need to even use my finishing hone.

It's like cutting your own hair. When you don't know how to, it's daunting. When you actually try it and gain just a little experience, it's easy.

Welcome to B&B. I followed the same path you did over 5 years ago. I purchased a shavette to make the switch from a DE razor. IMHO the only thing that feels the same is the way you hold both a shavette and a regular straight.
The blade used in a shavette will have a completely different feel against your skin than a real straight blade. I think it’s less forgiving than a real straight meaning easier to cut yourself. I think if you use a shavette a few times to get your muscle memory started you’ll see what I’m talking about. Good luck and don’t give up. Just make sure whatever straight you try for your first attempt make sure it’s truly shave ready so you don’t get discouraged.
Not all vendors who sell new straights sell them as being really shave ready.

+1
For me straights easily beat the 1/2 blade shavettes, but my Focus Slim shavette with a fresh Feather or equivalent is a good reference point to understand the ‘sharpness’ component of a good SR edge.

Also, you don’t have to pull perfect/complete/quick SR shaves out of your hat day 1. When you’ve had enough, before something goes bad, finish with a safety razor. Just don’t stop working on your SR technique. Pick it up for your next shave and go again.

I used to shave with straights daily. Now its weekly. But I’ve really struggled with artist club shavettes. They are just too sharp for me.

I do recommend the guard blades. I think they shave more like a straight.

@bowtech41 what shavette are you using?

Welcome and never be afraid to ask a question......as far a shavette's go.....well im not your guy, sorry....lol.

Top Bottom