What's new

Dipped my toe for the first time.thanks to Krodor!

Hey All!

Well, a few days a go I won a great PIF from Krodor to allow me to use a str8 for the first time. Here's the link if you're interested:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-into-straight-shaving-just-to-*try*-it-PIF-4

The blade arrived yesterday, and I just had my first shave! So here's how it went down -

I prepped by thoroughly soaking the old whiskers with warm water for quite a bit. Then I face lathered the trusty Castle Forbes Lavender and remembered to thin it out a bit more than my usual consistency. And then, ah, reach for the straight blade. Surprisingly, I was not that afraid of the beast (my normal razor is an r41 fwiw). So...the shave.

The first struggle was trying to stretch my skin with with my left hand, while looking in the mirror to place the blade with my right. The looking in the mirror was the tricky part. After a bit of shifting I was able to catch a glimpse of my cheek....problem 1 solved. I placed the blade and found TUG CITY. I could barely move the thing at all at first. I found I had to use a lot more pressure guide the blade along. I tried varying the blade angle, but didn't see much improvement. I also thinned out my lather even more, which did seem to help a little.

The next issue as I moved around the face was adjusting the angles. I'm ok shaving 'lefty' because I had shoulder surgery last year and developed that skill already. However, some spots were a little strange to navigate as I got closer to the center of my face.....I think I managed ok. So, I shave my entire face on the first pass with a N-S motion.

Pass 2 - I relathered and felt (to my surprise) holding the blade ready for the XTG pass. I was not originally intending to do this, but I felt fine. This pass was actually pretty comfortable with no issues to speak of except that I didn't really know what to do on the chin area. I shaved the mustache area with kind of a diagonal downward motion and was fine.

Pass 3 - Yep - ATG...why not, I'm comfy! This pass was also fine except for the mouth area. I just didn't really know how to tackle it comfortably, but the cheeks and neck where ok.

Rinse and check - do I have BBS, NO! do I have DFS, nope. I was not expecting either. So, I broke out the R41 and touched everything up. After that I rinsed off and applied some QCS Lavender balm.
No nicks/cuts! I do have some redness on the lower right part of my neck.

Final Thoughts and Q's
1) I'm so glad I was able to try this! Huge thanks to Krodor for doing these PIF's!!!
2) I was surprisingly comfortable with holding and wielding the str8 blade.
3) I had A LOT of pulling during the first pass and had to use more pressure.
Is this normal for a str8? Is it just a product of a cheaper blade and newbie technique?
4) What should I do next? Should I get a strop and continue with the gold dollar or would it be better to pick up a complete set at whippeddog and see if the pulling is better?

I've definitely got the bug, now I just have to see what I can do about getting a more comfortable and close shave. I like the challenge!

thanks Krodor!

Last edited:
I swear I test shaved it before i sent it and thought it was fine. Hmmm...

(see post 5 in this thread)

Last edited:
Final Thoughts and Q's
1) I'm so glad I was able to try this! Huge thanks to Krodor for doing these PIF's!!!
2) I was surprisingly comfortable with holding and wielding the str8 blade.
3) I had A LOT of pulling during the first pass and had to use more pressure.
Is this normal for a str8? Is it just a product of a cheaper blade and newbie technique?
4) What should I do next? Should I get a strop and continue with the gold dollar or would it be better to pick up a complete set at whippeddog and see if the pulling is better?

I've definitely got the bug, now I just have to see what I can do about getting a more comfortable and close shave. I like the challenge!

thanks Krodor!
Sounds like a very typical experience, nicely done.

1) kudos to Krodor-enabler
2) Big obstacle
3) I would not use more pressure just a brisker stroke
4) nothing wrong with the GD as long as it was "fixed"-I am sure krodor did that

But nothing wrong with picking up a second straight. You will need a strop eventually and before your next shave. You can use a newspaper to strop for a while.

Sounds like a very typical experience, nicely done.

1) kudos to Krodor-enabler
2) Big obstacle
3) I would not use more pressure just a brisker stroke
4) nothing wrong with the GD as long as it was "fixed"-I am sure krodor did that

But nothing wrong with picking up a second straight. You will need a strop eventually and before your next shave. You can use a newspaper to strop for a while.

ahhh....maybe this was my issue. I was trying to be very cautious. Also, I'm so used to the weight of the DE razor head providing the momentum. I think I'll probably order a strop and use some newspaper in the meantime. Maybe I'll get the second str8 plus poor mans's strop kit from Larry. If all goes well I can upgrade in March for my birthday :thumbup:

I'd say give it another go tomorrow after some newspaper stropping and maybe a third day as well. If things still aren't working pop it back to me and I'll check it out.

That being said, there are plenty of stories where folks new to straights have the tugging reaction that you did...like almost everyone. There should be a term coined for it. I know the first time I shaved with my first, I took a couple strokes, and was rather disappointed that I couldn't just wipe away all the hairs and achieve a BBS.

Your point #2 is what I think makes me feel better about the edge I sent you:
Pass 2 - I relathered and felt (to my surprise) holding the blade ready for the ATG pass. I was not originally intending to do this, but I felt fine. This pass was actually pretty comfortable with no issues to speak of except that I didn't really know what to do on the chin area. I shaved the mustache area with kind of a diagonal downward motion and was fine.

if you can go ATG after a single WTG and your ATG "feels fine", I don't think it's the razor, esp. after two ATG passes and the only redness is in one part of your face. For the initial attempt at straight shaving, the first WTG is often suggested to be done with your normal DE pass, then followed by a WTG using the straight, and going from there. Little, confident strokes.

Does the edge still pop hanging hairs?

Sounds like the blade has done it's job: you've tried it, you now know what its like, you've overcome any fears, and came out unscathed. YAY!

Regardless, if you do feel you want it tuned-up, I'm here for ya. Glad you had fun!

you did better than me on your first shave. blade angle is much, much shallower here. like, keep the spine barely off your skin. the chin will take a while to get comfortable with. I WTG first pass on chin (N to S), then a J-hooking XTG on the second. I gave up on trying ATG S to N up till now. I almost got all the way up it this morning. go slow, or you will find a way to nick yourself by getting to complacent (my experience anyway).

on your mustache line, a recommendation that helped me starting is position the blade as high as you can up your lip, with the spine/blade touching the tip of your nose. as you start shaving N to S, ride your nose with the spine, shallowing out the angle as you go.

it'll come. I'm 60 odd shaves in and got my second in a row BBS this morning, using a two pass technique.

ahhh....maybe this was my issue. I was trying to be very cautious. Also, I'm so used to the weight of the DE razor head providing the momentum. I think I'll probably order a strop and use some newspaper in the meantime. Maybe I'll get the second str8 plus poor mans's strop kit from Larry. If all goes well I can upgrade in March for my birthday :thumbup:

I suffered from dull razor syndrome at first. It take a very deliberate stroke (very hard to do with a straight on your face the first few times). The best sharpened straight will pull with a slow stroke. Think airplane landing, start the razor moving and then touch the face, does not have to be much but it needs to be moving. If you place a static razor on your face you are likely to cut your self.

Nicely done! I also expected the razor to glide more on the first pass, but I also do my first pass XTG, so that is part of it as well I'm sure. 3 different straights with 3 differently honed shave ready edges, and they all do it, so I know it's not the edges. That just leaves expectations being different than reality, and technique. If you start a straight shave journal, mention it in this thread and I'll follow along. I like not being the only straight beginner.

Sounds like you did really well. And no, it's not the razor, it's you. I think we all go through that. Make sure your angle is right, and the lather is wetter than with a DE, and keep practicing! You'll get it.

sounds like you did great!!! well done indeed!

good advice above too -deliberate strokes, never placing the razor on your face "static", as Doc says, the very slightest horizontal movement WILL slice skin. even if its seemingly imperceptible.

...and the spine on nose & following it down is what I do (or will again when MOvember is up)

bravo, and kudos to Krodor!

I'd say give it another go tomorrow after some newspaper stropping and maybe a third day as well. If things still aren't working pop it back to me and I'll check it out.

That being said, there are plenty of stories where folks new to straights have the tugging reaction that you did...like almost everyone. There should be a term coined for it. I know the first time I shaved with my first, I took a couple strokes, and was rather disappointed that I couldn't just wipe away all the hairs and achieve a BBS.

Your point #2 is what I think makes me feel better about the edge I sent you:

if you can go ATG after a single WTG and your ATG "feels fine", I don't think it's the razor, esp. after two ATG passes and the only redness is in one part of your face. For the initial attempt at straight shaving, the first WTG is often suggested to be done with your normal DE pass, then followed by a WTG using the straight, and going from there. Little, confident strokes.

Does the edge still pop hanging hairs?

Sounds like the blade has done it's job: you've tried it, you now know what its like, you've overcome any fears, and came out unscathed. YAY!

Regardless, if you do feel you want it tuned-up, I'm here for ya. Glad you had fun!

My 2nd pass was actually XTG (I just fixed my OP). But, I'm sure the blade is in great shape and it's just my tentative approach....especially considering all of the replies. I'll try some newspaper stropping and a shave tomorrow with quicker strokes. Thanks for the offer too!

Update:

So tbh, I was a little disappointed with my first week with the straight. I had envisioned a better feeling/sharper shave feeling. I started to wonder, is there really enough pay off for the extra work of stropping, honing, following the learning curve?, etc. I was getting ready to make my "this is not for me - thanks anyway Krodor" post. But, today I got the bug to give it another shot. I've been reading other shave journals and followed the advice of keeping a firmer grip on the razor and I paid really close attention to my angle. In short, it was a MUCH more enjoyable experience and the results were pretty decent. The pulling issue was largely resolved and I feel pretty good about the whole thing now. I look forward to improving my technique and results!

definitely a new user issue. i can count on my fingers the people who have reported[I/] (which i find suspect) that say the first couple shaves weren't like this..

with experience, you'll wonder how the initial go went off so differently.

Top Bottom