What's new

dip pen questions

So I picked up a cheap dip pen at Wal-Mart today and got out my old bottle of Sheaffer Skrip ink and a Top Flight legal pad and proceeded to use the widest nib. The ink just spread out all over the paper. Used a smaller nib and it did the same thing. Is it the paper or is it the ink? I can use my Sheaffer calligraphy fountain pen on the same paper with no problem (cartridged ink).

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Most likely the paper, but I use Top Flight "Docket" and do not have any issues. Do you have a different paper to try?

Does the same thing on other paper. I think Jessy is right. What ink would ya'll recommend.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I really like Calli Ink, but Speedball is usually available locally. I think I saw it at Hobby Lobby.

With dip pens you can actually use acrylic paint,... take a bit more to clean the nib and for longer sessions it gets pretty thick, but you can get through a letter doing it no trouble. the thin FP inks run a bit to fast to be really effective

Got Speedball India ink today and it worked perfectly.... perfectly till I knocked the entire bottle (opened) unto the carpet. It's a damn shame I got black ink. I'm so screwed. Will definitely have to replace the carpeting in this house when we decide to move. :(

I saw the Speedball Acrylic and it was discounted down to 20 something but I didn't have the money on me.

Now I just realized my knee is all bloodied. Glad that didn't get on the carpet.

Screwed Screwed screwed.

Forgot to mention. this is the permanent, waterproof 100% carbon black pigment.

It's a grayish mess now. not as bad but the carpet will have to go anyway.

And photos for Mike.

Yes my knee looks abnormal.. They removed the entire thing over 20 years ago. I had wiped off the blood and the shorts absorbed some. I think the flash on the camera actually makes the ink spill look better.

$03-07-14_1155.jpg$03-07-14_1153.jpg

I was using my knee to prop up the chair mat so I could get to the spill and the spikey things underneath sliced a small cut on there. That whole section basically doesn't have any nerves and it's grafted skin so it tears easily and I'm usually not aware till I see it.

Last edited:
I think we need the whole story, where spilling ink on the carpet resulted in a bloodied knee! :scared:

Where there cats involved?

Looks like you can just shift that desk to the right a little, and the missus will never have to know. :batman:

Some of the ink went under the chair pad thing. it's that large heavy plastic matting you put in front of a desk and underneath are those spikes to hold it in pace on the carpet. My right knee was under that to hold it up while I blotted at the ink under it. I had a wad of paper towels between my knee and that but the wad shifted and the spikes tore through my fragile skin.

NO cats involved. Just me being stupid and not putting the cap back on the ink when I was ready to clean up. Would have to shift the desk 8 inches towards middle of room and away from the wall. Not going to hide it. The carpet needs replacing anyway.

It's much darker now as the photo above was after I spray some stuff on it.

That's the one! I swiped it right off the corner of my desk.

With about 45% of my body covered in grafted skin, finding out I'm bleeding later in the day isn't uncommon.

Told my wife. She laughed and said it was no big deal. I don't have to sleep on the couch. WOOT!

That's the one! I swiped it right off the corner of my desk.

With about 45% of my body covered in grafted skin, finding out I'm bleeding later in the day isn't uncommon.

Told my wife. She laughed and said it was no big deal. I don't have to sleep on the couch. WOOT!

She wins SWMBO of the year!!!

Top Bottom