What's new

Dinnerware recommendations

Hi gang, any thoughts on a new dinnerware set?
Ideally I would like something durable that will last. I was looking at something pricey like Lecreuset but not sure it is worth the cost or if it is more of a fashion statement for the kitchen.

Alternatively it's a buy and replace every couple of years as they get chipped and pieces broken.
Thoughts?

We bought our everyday dinnerware from a restaurant supply store in 1984, not a chip, crack or break in any of it. Grindley Co., White Granite Vitrified made in Staffordshire England.

dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Probably a good time of year to buy dinnerware. Is this going to be a special set you only use when entertaining or will you use it everyday. Will it need to hold up to being run through a dish washer or used to reheat things in the microwave (no gold leaf please)?

There are a lot of sets that are so huge they will not fit in your cupboards, microwave, dishwasher. Personally I don't want to deal with that kind of headache. White or bone porcelain is my preference, and I'll use it every day. I don't want to store a whole other set of special dishes. Add colour with linen, chargers, and colourful serving dishes. I have less than zero use for the tiny cups and saucers that can come with sets.

We've used Corelle for decades.

Most of ours came from thrift stores.

Must have more than 10 different patterns. Number varies as we acquire new and donate less used patterns.

There are a lot of new choices

Corelle Dinnerware Sets | Serveware | Drinkware | Official Corelle.com

There are scores of discontinued patterns floating around in the thrifts.

Corelle is tough and durable .I've only broken a few in more than a half century of using it.

It is glass (tough glass) so it does not retain heat well which is about it's only drawback

It is very good everyday dinnerware

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I agree 100% Mick. You can see from my posts with pics. . . all on Corelle. It is durable, light, and stacks well taking little space. Also from a related company . . . Corningware is great for microwave / oven cookware.

We also have fine bone for those rare occasions guests can't be persuaded to go home :)

This is one SWMBO had meals on as a young child. I got her a set on one of our anniversaries

Spode Hunting Scene pattern.

20171226_162647-01.jpeg

Interesting I will check out corelle, thank you.
Yes, everyday use. Dishwasher and microwave. We have nice china from our wedding (that actually does get used on special occasions).
If I could find a nice white/neutral set that will last I would be willing to pay more.

+1 on plain white Corelle Livingware for everyday use.
You can get single open stock replacements and additional pieces just about anywhere, including hardware stores and thrift shops.
It used to be that you would never see a chipped or cracked Corelle piece because they would fail only catastrophically (explode into a few large weird shapes) if at all. In the '70s or '80s they changed the material a bit, so that you might see a few chipped edges.
The bowls and plates stack compactly.
Corelle is good in the microwave oven too.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Kinda funny John. I think you have had fantastic luck. For me . . . when corelle hits the floor and break they shatter and spread . . . hundreds of pieces bounce around corners and into other rooms. Yet surprisingly many times they survive a drop. I love the stuff.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Kinda funny John. I think you have had fantastic luck. For me . . . when corelle hits the floor and break they shatter and spread . . . hundreds of pieces bounce around corners and into other rooms. Yet surprisingly many times they survive a drop. I love the stuff.
Yep- the few times that I have seen a Correlle break, it busted into roughly half a million pieces. (Slight embellishment)

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I have really liked the Noritake colorwave in graphite, I've had it for close to 20 years and used it every day. Simple, but classic.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
We've used Corelle for decades.

Corelle. It is durable, light, and stacks well taking little space.

+1 on plain white Corelle

That was my first thought too ... and what we use! And if you get a classic never-going-away model (like the basic white) you never have the problem of not being able to replace broken pieces ... and can always add more to expand your seating/feeding potential.

Dave, that Noritake is nice, thanks for posting.
When I compare prices (I'm in Canada) the LeCreuset is actually not that much more ($50/4 settings). I just don't know if it's any better.

Top Bottom