What's new

Dinner guests who don't eat...

Invited a couple folks over for dinner next week. He will eat anything including his napkin. She, not so much, apparently.

She is his new lady friend. I emailed her and inquired if there was anything she could not eat. These days lots of folks seem to have food allergies, right?

"I don't eat beef. Except hot dogs. I don't eat fried foods. Except buffalo wings. Love wings. I avoid white rice and pasta. Usually. Yada, yada."

This is a middle aged woman, not a kid.

Is this the new normal? I mean, if you will die from eating nuts, say so, but gee, I feel like Woody Allen is coming to dinner.

Sadly, I think it's the new normal for many. Just imagine hosting a Thanksgiving meal for 20+ with people like this. I've heard stories. Crazy.

She seems to be a middle aged woman purely based on age, not maturity level.

LOL... whatever happened to "you eat what's prepared for you!!!". At least that's how I was raised... If I'm invited to dinner by someone I would be ashamed of myself, sending a reply like that. Someone is going to the trouble of cooking a great meal that I'm allowed to participate in. I agree that if you have an allergy that that is to be stated clearly... hurting someone is NOT what's wanted either. But that's a bit much... I would seriously raise an eyebrow at that one. Feeling sorry for your friend somewhat ;-) He sounds like a proper guy :D (Napkin... had to laugh at that one)

I thought it was polite to just eat your food when you are a guest. That is how I was brought up. To this day I will still not eat liver.....

As someone who has struggled with my weight and weight-related health problems all of my life, I totally understand where she is coming from. I do not eat red meat, pasta, or fried foods either at this point in my life (pushing 50), and if offered any I will politely decline.

Perhaps she has had a weight problem or a health scare at some point in her life? I don't think her response is necessarily a sign of petulance or immaturity. It isn't in my case.

He must be dating my daughter-in-law's best friend. No nuts of any kind. No gluten. No red meat, pork, or a "oily" fish. Boneless and skinless chicken are OK. Only "organic" brown rice. No bottom feeding seafood such as lobster, crabs, shrimp. I offered to prepare her an arugula salad with tomatoes with lemon dressing! She did drink wine, though, and wondered why it was so difficult to find a "good man" to date!

This is a slender, smart, well traveled lady.

I would not have raised an eyebrow if she said, for example, "I do not eat fried food." It was the "I don't eat this or that, but hot dogs and wings are okay" thing that had me shaking my head.

Oy.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hah! I feel your consternation. One of my neighbors down the pier used to be an eager participant in marina pot luck dinner parties, but he recently got married and apparently there is very little that she can or will eat, and it must arrive as an uber delivery from a restaurant and not be made by mortal visible neighborhood hands. Food prepared by uncouth boat people just doesn't measure up. So he can't eat our groceries, either, naturally. I think I would rather cook for a vegetabletarian. Yes it is a thing these days. No gluten, no nuts or nut oil, no olive oil, no common vegetable oil, no lard of course, and no shortening. No black pepper, no red pepper, no white pepper, no jalapenos, no onions, no beans, no cauliflower even pickled so no olive salad, no shrimp or crab, no beef other than organic grass fed, no factory chicken or eggs, no fish that actually came out of the water, nothing charcoal grilled, nothing even a little bit of pink in the middle, no juice or fat dripping out, no cilantro, etc etc etc it's crazy how some folks are these days. I just tell folks what I am cooking and they can brown bag if they don't think it is up to their standards. They can have their quinoa/millet/organic oats granola or watercress salad on gluten free kosher crackers or deli egg sandwiches with the bread crust cut away, while I enjoy my own collard greens and ham hocks with jalapenos and red onions. or chili and cornbread, or a la charra pinto beans or gumbo or jambalaya or menudo and big mounds of fragrant jasmine rice. More of the good stuff for me.

So don't feel no way about that. It seems to be a growing trend, a fad if you will. Somehow related to the big hipster new left conspiracy I think. Quite simply, nothing is good enough, which makes the person believing that, feel superior to the ordinary rabble who will eat any plate of ettouffe or shrimp and grits or meatloaf put in front of them.

Slash McCoy, too funny.

Oh, I forgot. She is also sugar free.

I have decided boneless chicken is for dinner that night. Is there anything more mundane? LOL

Some people are totally indifferent to food, a necessary chore. I'd make whatever i like having for us and put a couple hot dogs on the grill for Miss Manners, cooked with the same care and attention given the rest of the meal. You're doing it for your friend not his date.

Have you discussed this with him?

dave

Fish, chips and mushy peas washed down with a pint of Guinness. Just tell her it's British haute cuisine....:001_tt2:

Personally, I'm not keen on tongue and have an almost phobic dislike of melon. Save those two, everything else is fair game.

Oh and whilst dining, steer the conversation round to one whereby the main topic is the rudeness of guests and their fad/non-eating.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
This is a slender, smart, well traveled lady.

I would not have raised an eyebrow if she said, for example, "I do not eat fried food." It was the "I don't eat this or that, but hot dogs and wings are okay" thing that had me shaking my head.

Oy.
As the site's resident Mister Manners, I would handle it thusly:

Prepare a beautiful surf and turf for your guests, say a nice prime rib with lobster tails. But make sure to provide a special needs plate for her, comprised of hot dogs and chicken wings.

Temping, Mister Ouch, but I have decided to make this dinner near effortless. Boneless chicken breasts with a cream/mustard pan sauce and a side of asparagus. 15 minutes tops.

Surely horseradish sauce, no? You could always explain at the coroner's inquest that you were certain it was horseradish root that you picked, after all it does bear a striking resemblance to deadly aconite!

ouch

Temping, Mister Ouch, but I have decided to make this dinner near effortless. Boneless chicken breasts with a cream/mustard pan sauce and a side of asparagus. 15 minutes tops.

Dear Macfrommichigan:

I forgot to mention that I don't eat chicken breast, but thighs are okay. Also, if you could do a yogurt/ketchup sauce instead of cream/mustard, that would be a big help. Additionally, I don't eat asparagus, but will entertain the idea of Brussels sprouts.

Sincerely,
Your friend's wife

ouch

I have already prepared my next suggestion for your conundrum.

slop.png

Top Bottom