What's new

Dinner guest from Heck

Doing a little dinner party tonight. Alas, outlaws. And one of 'em is a pain, in numerous ways, and particularly diet du jour. She never eats mushrooms. Other no-nos come and go. Right now anything acidic, spicy, anything from the nightshade family, and carbs will supposedly cause her lips to swell and send her screaming to her holistic witch doctor.

My plans for andouille and mussels in a red wine, garlic, and tomato sauce are on hold. Maybe just a simple green salad with Roundup dressing?

Oy.

Well, if the in law doesn't want it, let me know what time is dinner. Sounds pretty good to me.

Seriously though, good luck. Some I laws are great, but some aren't so great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Little kids who didn't study their spelling words over the weekend develop stomachaches Monday morning. This middle aged gal is one of those. And she uses ailments, mostly imagined, always exaggerated, to get attention or to excuse her lack of success in life.

Scratch the spicy seafood and sausage. Will do that another time. Tonight we dine on chicken Caesar salad, croutons on the side, red onions on the side, ranch dressing on the side, yada, yada.

Invite for her post meal socializing, dessert, coffee, whatever, have the meal without her. You could always tell her what the menu is and she's welcome to attend but you won't be offended if she chooses not to and only comes for post meal activities.

My inlaws live far enough away that i haven't gone there since '95 and my family i break bread with at my sister's for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm not very good at the family compromise social events interaction business... outsider, black sheep.
dave

Plan your menu as you see fit, invite your family and inform them of the menu, leave the decision to attend up to them. Height of hubris to expect others to kowtow to your imaginary diet needs (legit allergens are another matter, naturally). I had a friend ask if a particular dish was "gluten free" once. I replied asking if they had celiac disease. When they replied in the negative I told them they needn't worry, and let them make their own choice.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
My thought is that if she really want to come, maybe she could BYOF?

At a pool party several years ago we had a guest that was following a restricted diet, she just brought her own eats. Not a bother for anyone attending. Everyone else enjoyed the planned "party fare".

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm blessed with out laws that eat anything. My heart goes out to you though @Macfrommichigan .... it's funny how folks are. We have a dear friend who is allergic to just about everything edible who is so gracious. She bakes us things that she can't eat herself. Women are strange creatures.

I've gotten to the point where I no longer tolerate false senses of entitlement, attention seeking and otherwise toxic people. I don't care if they're relatives or in-laws, it's just better that I stay away from them.

Tell her what you're having and be done with it. Don't feel bad about it, either.

Gotta keep the lady of the house happy, so I am a perfect host, and give thanks her imperfect family go home after dinner. (And then I utter a few ungentlemanly comments regarding their manners, character, and behavior.)

:)

FarmerTan

Gotta keep the lady of the house happy, so I am a perfect host, and give thanks her imperfect family go home after dinner. (And then I utter a few ungentlemanly comments regarding their manners, character, and behavior.)

:)
That's how a gentleman does it, lol. The War Department wishes I were more of a gentleman.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Ca
Little kids who didn't study their spelling words over the weekend develop stomachaches Monday morning. This middle aged gal is one of those. And she uses ailments, mostly imagined, always exaggerated, to get attention or to excuse her lack of success in life.

Scratch the spicy seafood and sausage. Will do that another time. Tonight we dine on chicken Caesar salad, croutons on the side, red onions on the side, ranch dressing on the side, yada, yada.
Careful with any tomatoes. They're both acidic, and members of the nightshade family (as well as being loaded with MSG).

Ca

Careful with any tomatoes. They're both acidic, and members of the nightshade family (as well as being loaded with MSG).

What is MSG?

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the sodium salt of the naturally occurring amino acid, glutamic acid which makes up 10 to 25 % of all food protein, from both animal and vegetable sources. In addition to being an ingredient intentionally added to foods, glutamate occurs as a natural part of proteins, including vegetable and animal proteins. These proteins, when broken down (i.e.: by cooking) release free glutamate and are themselves used as ingredients in various prepared meat products, soups, broths and gravy mixes.

... from...

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) - Questions and Answers - Canada.ca
dave

FarmerTan

What does she propose as the solution to dealing with her royally entitled family member?
dave
He's just gonna play nice, not ask his bride to give him any advice (she's probably got enough of her own stress with this person) and get her out of the house as quickly as possible. That's my bet anyway.
He has to live with his wife. Company eventually leave.

I had a girlfriend like that. She didn’t start out as a health nut but evolved into one. Every new fad diet, super food, supplement fad bandwagon, she was on it. It was embarrassing to go out to dinner or gatherings with her. I always tried to bring something she would eat so the host wouldn’t have to jump through hoops for her quirkinesses. It bugged her that I would eat anything and everything while she suffered with her nuts and twigs.

I would just cook what you want and make a couple sides that won’t upset her delicate digestive tract. I would guess everyone is aware of what a pain in the nether regions she is. The little extra effort you take is a small price to pay for your in laws to see ya take the high road.

Buffet.

Line everything up in the kitchen and have them serve themselves. Courtesy of the complainer. Make sure you have plenty of "not that" on hand.

My idea of being the perfect host for family is to remain in the kitchen working. Like the perfect sales clerk, invisible until there is a need, anticipating the need before the needy realize they need.
dave

Top Bottom