What's new

Digging through my old SE blade stash and found a 1903 Gem Z hollow ground wedge blade.

If you are following my threads of late you know I have been working and learning to put a good edge on Kampfe Star wedge (actually hollow ground) blades so I can get a comfortable shave.

During my search for spare blades to practice technique on I uncovered some long lost blades in an oily cardboard sleeve (Kirby?). The grease or whatever is on them looks like/feels like the same stuff they packed my 1943 .30 cal Paratrooper Carbine in to protect against corrosion. Cosmoline?

I had never seen this blade before so I assume it is fairly rare. Anyone have an old Gem using these blades? Now that I have learned a bit about how to restore them this blade may be put back into service.
IMG_3337.jpeg
IMG_3339.jpeg

I would have a hard time not putting that thing right on a stone and getting it back to shaving. After a look with the microscope at the factory grinding marks and any pitting.

I would have a hard time not putting that thing right on a stone and getting it back to shaving. After a look with the microscope at the factory grinding marks and any pitting.
I am very new to honing/stropping. When I try to hone one using the spine only then the spine gets damaged and the blade edge gets wider than the factory edge. Not sure how to angle the blade properly to get the same factory angle. The stropping attachments I have are all off true so the blade edge doesn't come out even. What type of angle guide should I use?

I am very new to honing/stropping. When I try to hone one using the spine only then the spine gets damaged and the blade edge gets wider than the factory edge. Not sure how to angle the blade properly to get the same factory angle. The stropping attachments I have are all off true so the blade edge doesn't come out even. What type of angle guide should I use?
I am no expert, but technically if you ground down the spine the blade should get narrower. Now if you are talking about bevel height, I consider that a sign that I am heading in the right direction. If you are dealing with a used one first, then you may have previous honing errors to contend with. It shouldn't be as difficult as some blades since it is a hollow, but you can always try tape for a bit. I know people don't like me grinding down my spines, but I do as much bevel correction as I can with tape. When I take it off I try not to be careless, but I only care about how it shaves. Make sure you look at the edge straight down with a light(torch) and you shouldn't see any reflections. Those are where the bevels haven't fully joined. I will leave it at that as I am probably going to get it for even posting this much. I have always wanted to "play" with these razors.
:a6:

That stylized Z looks like the Zinn marque - you could have a blade from the 19th century.
Would love to know more about it. Does anyone else have pics or links to info on the early Gem blades?

I gave it a good cleaning and a bit of gentle polishing. Next step is honing. I will practice more on a blade I can afford to ruin before proceeding with this one.
IMG_3359.jpeg
IMG_3360.jpeg
IMG_3364.jpeg

Finally learned to hone, not good at it yet, but passable.
IMG_3442.jpeg
One of my favorite semi-hollow ground(?) blades now. I'm curious about the steel used to make the blades. There is much imperfection and grain visible. I don't think it is from corrosion. From what I have read the blade may have been made from crucible steel which is poured into a mold. That would account for the imperfections.

I hope this is not too OT: are the wedge blades the same size as the later SE blades? What I am wondering is if I could use an SE blade in one of these older razors.

I hope this is not too OT: are the wedge blades the same size as the later SE blades? What I am wondering is if I could use an SE blade in one of these older razors.
The wedge blades are thicker on the spine. They are like a section of straight razor. Whether or not a modern SE blade like the Gem PTFE will work depends on the razor. With some razors you can shim the new blade with a spline off another Gem blade.

Printed shims to allow modern SE blades to be used in the older lather catchers are available. I have a set but haven't tried them yet. Some razors like the post 1900 Gem, Star, and others can use an unmodified modern Gem blade. Some razors require the modern Gem spline to be removed.

There are many threads here on particular fitment of the newer blades depending on which razor you are trying to use.

Here are pics of a 1907 Ever Ready razor that a modern SE blade fits perfectly and a pic of a late 1800's Ernst Scharff that you would need a shim to use the modern blade.
IMG_3520.jpeg
IMG_3533.jpeg
100_6111.JPG

Last edited:
The wedge blades are thicker on the spine. They are like a section of straight razor. Whether or not a modern SE blade like the Gem PTFE will work depends on the razor. With some razors you can shim the new blade with a spline off another Gem blade.

Printed shims to allow modern SE blades to be used in the older lather catchers are available. I have a set but haven't tried them yet. Some razors like the post 1900 Gem, Star, and others can use an unmodified modern Gem blade. Some razors require the modern Gem spline to be removed.

There are many threads here on particular fitment of the newer blades depending on which razor you are trying to use.

Here are pics of a 1907 Ever Ready razor that a modern SE blade fits perfectly and a pic of a late 1800's Ernst Scharff that you would need a shim to use the modern blade.View attachment 1461816View attachment 1461814View attachment 1461815
Thank you for the helpful information. I’d love to own and shave with a beautifully crafted razor like these!

Top Bottom