What's new

Difficulty Shaving Against the Grain

I've been DE shaving since September. I can get close to a DFS shave now but finish up with a wet/dry electric because I have not been able to go ATG without a lot of discomfort. Yesterday and today I went ATG using a Gillette LC New and a Personna Israeli (Blue) blade. That blade has been my goto blade whether it was in the Futur I had been using or now with the New. The blade smooth and seems sharp, BUT, when going ATG yesterday and today I felt the blade dragging. A lot. My lather seems fine (I went WTG and XTG, first, with no issue). I was using a new blade today. Yesterday was the third shave with that blade. I'm wondering if I'm being too careful and keeping the angle of the blade too shallow? Do I need a sharper blade? But my skin is prone to irritation and I've tried over a dozen blades that I haven't liked as much as the IPs. Thank you for your insights.

As Mat said, your angle probably is off. Gradually change the angle so that more blade is exposed.

It depends on how sensitive your skin is too. My neck is no problem since the whiskers grow every which way. Any pass is simultaneously WTG/ATG/XTG. I can't go ATG on my cheeks or jawline though, my skin just can't handle it. I've tried many blades in 4 different razors at different angles, even changing handles, it's just not going to happen.

Some people just can't shave ATG, if it causes you too much discomfort, just leave it be. Try again in a few weeks/months and see if your technique has gotten better.

Also, stretch your skin. I do some ATG by pulling up on my skin from above like with straight shaving. You want a flat plane with the whiskers standing up for max ATG effectiveness.

+1 If ATG isn't working for you, try a second WTG in the opposite direction. After a while, you'll be ready to go to an ATG pass.

Some people just can't shave ATG, if it causes you too much discomfort, just leave it be. Try again in a few weeks/months and see if your technique has gotten better.

I have the same issue above my adam's apple. My beard is a bit sparse, but wiry there.

Here's a few things that I found here that helped:

1. XTG - not with, nor against the grain, but at roughly a 45º angle to it.
2. The "Gillette Slide" adding just a touch of lateral motion to the stroke.
3. Stretching the skin
4. For a bit of extra slickness, I like to dip a finger or two in my lather bowl or on the puck and apply the pre-lather to the area I want to shave.

+1 If ATG isn't working for you, try a second XTG in the opposite direction. After a while, you'll be ready to go to an ATG pass.
There, fixed it for ya. Going WTG in the opposite direction is what started this thread! :lol1:

Also, you can angle the XTG passes a bit towards ATG. It should get a (somewhat) closer shave without having the problems of a full-on ATG pass.

forget against the grain on the third use of a blade, they tug when they get dull, try it with a fresh (sharp) blade, need a sharp blade for against the grain and it sounds like you just haven't got the right angle dialed in yet and use a real light touch ATG

Top Bottom