What's new

difficulty loading a blade in a new standard

so i have a new new standard, but it's hard as hell to load a blade and get the knob to "bite" on the screw. about the only way it works it to load the blade and then press the razor head against the countertop, push down and turn the screw.

is this a normal problem? does it mean the razor is bent in some way or have mismatched pieces?

i'd appreciate any help on the matter.

thanks!

david r.

Sounds like the threads could be shot. They probably will be soon if you have to put that much effort into it. Make sure there isn't any gunk in the threads on both the head and handle, or that the threads aren't damaged in some way. It could be there's a metal bur on either piece that's causing the trouble. Perhaps a little oil might help?

My NEW looks rough, but I never had a problem like that. It threads and screws together very easily. I do suppose it's possible you have mismatched parts. Post some pictures if you can, so we can see what's going on with it.

That doesn't sound right to me at all, David. My New Standard has plenty of bite well before coming close to closing on the blade.A picture or two definitely would help. Do you think there's any possibility that it is a head with a shorter post from another style or model? When I get home I'll compare the post length on my New Standard and my Old Type Bulldog.

That doesn't sound right to me at all, David. My New Standard has plenty of bite well before coming close to closing on the blade.A picture or two definitely would help. Do you think there's any possibility that it is a head with a shorter post from another style or model? When I get home I'll compare the post length on my New Standard and my Old Type Bulldog.

it's very possible. will post up some pics when i can.

until then, do you think you could measure your new from the apex of the razor head to the bottom of the post? that would be helpful....

thanks!

david r.

Try the handle from another 3 piece razor, they all have the same #10-32 threads. (Size 10-- 32 threads per inch)
If the threads are buggered in the handle you could clean them up by running a #10-32 tap down the hole.

it's very possible. will post up some pics when i can.

until then, do you think you could measure your new from the apex of the razor head to the bottom of the post? that would be helpful....

thanks!

david r.

My New Standard head post is 1 5/16" from head apex to base of post. My Old Type Bulldog is a hair less than 1 1/4" from apex to post base. Not sure if it enough to make a big difference, but it does show different post lengths.

Top Bottom