What's new

Differentiating Between Badger and Synthetic?

Hi Everyone

Just a beginner looking for some advice.

Anyone have any tips on how to differentiate between a Badger and Synthetic brush? I'm going to be buying a Badger soon and just want to know if its really a Badger.

Also, anyone willing to share a good price to expect to pay for a Best Badger? I know a lot of them are overpriced, hence the question.

:)
Badger vs Synthetic debate aside....

Synthetic brushes made to look like badger are very uniform in appearance. A natural brush will have more natural variation. The colors are a bit different too.
If you have the brush in your hand you will likely be able to tell if the fibers are synthetic or not.

If you are a buying a brush by a known maker from a reputable seller then you shouldn't have to worry about receiving something different than what you ordered.

These are some of my synthetic brushes.
full

These are some of my badger brushes:
full

To me, synthetics look different than badgers. And then you have the Muhle and Shavemac synthetics which kind of blur the lines.

full

This is the Shavemac syn next to a Yaqi brush.
shavemac-jpg.974954

I stand corrected. The Chubby 2 synthetic comes retails at $114 (£89.95) from Simpsons website. If you do some browsing, it can be founder cheaper on other sites. To be fair and transparent, these are the high end of synthetics.

I have also seen well worn synthetics develop that ring in the bristles from use. I am not sure its safe to say a synthetic will outlast a natural hair brush. Modern synthetics have only been around for two, maybe three years. I would say it's too early to tell their longevity.

I paid 99 USD for my last Simpson's Synthetic. My daughter took my first one. In reality give me a good badger anyday and I will be happy. They hold heat and cold better depending upon the season, softer and increased splay if you want it. Get better over a short period of time. Just the best in my opinion which is worth less than 2 cents.

Top Bottom