What's new

Different types of shavette blade holding mechanisms

Hi everyone

I've only been doing SR shaving (with a shavette) for a month, but I totally have the bug. After looking around at the different shavettes that are compatible with standard DE or 1/2DE blades, it looks like there are only a few different types of blade holding mechanisms. Wondering if any of the more experienced peeps here can fill in the gaps.

I am specifically looking at standard DE or 1/2DE blades because sometimes I also like to switch back to my Merkur safety razor, and I'm too cheap to buy two sets of blades.

1. Hinge

The Equinox (about $15 on Amazon) has a hinge mechanism for a DE blade. You push out the latch, and one half of the blade holder swings out, and the DE blade drops neatly in (with only one edge exposed).

$p75aMqAl.jpg

2. Screw

The Daune ($20) holds a DE blade as well. The blade holder is held in place by a screw. The entire blade holder comes off, and the blade drops in, then you replace the screw.

$71bK+oje1SL._SL256_.jpg

3. Knob

The IBC Shavette ($70) is the only shavette I've found that is designed like this. After unscrewing the knob, the blade holders come apart and rotate, you slide in the 1/2DE blade, rotate the blade holders back, and tighten the knob. The IBC also happens to be compatible with some of the other blades, but I'm not really familiar with those. I'm really intrigued by this one. The build quality looks fantastic.

$IMG_20151119_242210835_zps7leaexaq (1).jpg

4. Pinch

This seems to be the most common type of mechanism. The Parker SRW ($25), Dreadnought ($20), Parker SR1 ($20), Samurai ($15), Bluebeard's Revenge ($15), Sanguine ($15), Acevivi ($10), etc. all take 1/2DE blades. You slide off the thing that pinches the two blade holders together, pry them apart, slide the 1/2DE blade in, and then pinch it in place.

$71eRPGLUtUL._SX522_.jpg

The Universal (about $40 in Italy) uses the same type of mechanism except that the blade holder is double wide for a DE blade.

$0213c0cd-7e13-434e-a71a-665693fc17bb_zpsb2ad4bb1 (1).jpg

Any others that I am missing?

The reason I ask is because right now I am shaving with the Equinox, and I like the hinge mechanism. But the build quality of the Equinox isn't that great. It just feels cheap.

I've tried several of the shavettes that use the pinch mechanism, and I just don't like it. I find that the process of prying the two blade holders apart is just too cumbersome. Most of the time I end up dropping the blade, and I always feel like I'm going to cut myself.

I was thinking about trying the Daune, but the all-plastic body just looks so cheap that I don't think I would like it.

The IBC intrigues me, but $70 is more than I want to spend.

Any other options (compatible with standard DE blades) out there? Thanks!

Last edited:
Also -- similar to the Universal, I just discovered the Crown King Shavette ($20). It also holds DE blades, however the process of loading the blade is a little fraught because there is blade exposure on both sides before you slide back into place the thing that pinches the blades together.

$shavette-crown-king-shavette-tali-wood-scales-handle-now-w-etched-logo-3.jpg

Of all the shavettes I've looked at (that are compatible with standard DE or 1/2DE blades), the IBC and Crown King look like they have the best build. The Crown King is within my budget, so I was thinking of trying it out...

Also -- similar to the Universal, I just discovered the Crown King Shavette ($20). It also holds DE blades, however the process of loading the blade is a little fraught because there is blade exposure on both sides before you slide back into place the thing that pinches the blades together.

View attachment 652674

Of all the shavettes I've looked at (that are compatible with standard DE or 1/2DE blades), the IBC and Crown King look like they have the best build. The Crown King is within my budget, so I was thinking of trying it out...

That's a sharp looking shavette! Sure wish it would take the longer blades...

There is the insert type which has a plastic piece to hold the half blade and slides into the cutting area. This is predominantly done by Dovo:

$dovo.jpg

The most common other format is the slide, where the half blade is held by a metal blade holder and slide into the blade area:

$slide.jpg

This is probably the second most common format for the cheap Chinese half blade shavettes.

I understand your reason for wanting to stay with a DE blade format, however the best shavettes are the Feather AC and the Weck/Personna formats.

and the feathers/Kia/CBJ, and Wecks that take an injector style blade. they're in a class unto themselves., and far superior in my opinion. haven't used a Weck, but there's one sitting in a drawer. love my feather.

The universal is a good model, and I have one in storage that'll get sold if and when I ever unpack it. I prefer straights, used the universal for a bit until I bought a feather, and it's my too lazy/time constrained/traveler to strop and keep up a straight that day.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That aluminum one Superior Shave just got has a sliding mechanism. It look a like it's milled and if high quality. Maybe take one for the team and let us know how it is? ;)

That is a pretty sweet looking razor, and he blade holding mechanism looks great. Unfortunately the razor is 24g. That's a little too light for me...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That is a pretty sweet looking razor, and he blade holding mechanism looks great. Unfortunately the razor is 24g. That's a little too light for me...

I had the same thoughts. I can't imagine it much lighter than the cheaper ones tho.

I use a parker sr1 when i travel, and i have tried another cheap sliding blade holder type too, and i much prefer the parker pin and clasp blade holding method, i found the sliding bar type difficult to judge the angle with. as for Feather AC ect being the "best" shavettes i would say that the cost and need for specialized blades puts these in a different catagory.

That's interesting. I haven't used the sliding bar type before. What about it makes it difficult, could you elaborate please? Thanks

That aluminum one Superior Shave just got has a sliding mechanism. It look a like it's milled and if high quality. Maybe take one for the team and let us know how it is? ;)

So I finally pulled the trigger on the IBC ($86 including shipping... ouch). So far I've used it 3 times and I have to say I'm just not feeling it. The knob mechanism is great. The IBC is really well designed, especially the blade holding mechanism, and I like how the whole thing comes apart so that you can clean it very thoroughly. But I think I just like the width of a shavette that holds a full DE blade.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So I finally pulled the trigger on the IBC ($86 including shipping... ouch). So far I've used it 3 times and I have to say I'm just not feeling it. The knob mechanism is great. The IBC is really well designed, especially the blade holding mechanism, and I like how the whole thing comes apart so that you can clean it very thoroughly. But I think I just like the width of a shavette that holds a full DE blade.

Man that's too bad. I had a Parker that performed well but aesthetically it didn't appeal to me, even with new scales so I know what you mean. Maybe it will grow on you.

Man that's too bad. I had a Parker that performed well but aesthetically it didn't appeal to me, even with new scales so I know what you mean. Maybe it will grow on you.

Huh. That's a good idea. If I could put a new handle on the Equinox I would like it a lot more. Now I just have to figure out how to do that...

I use a six dollar full blade hinge type for travel sometimes. The build is ok - for 6 bux - but I imagine if I were a barber it wouldn't last.

I use a six dollar full blade hinge type for travel sometimes. The build is ok - for 6 bux - but I imagine if I were a barber it wouldn't last.
There is a Sedef used by Turkish barbers different loading mechanism,you have to break off the side tabs of the blade and then slide in.

There is a Sedef used by Turkish barbers different loading mechanism,you have to break off the side tabs of the blade and then slide in.
I like the Parker srx and the universal half blade,.I can say the sedef produces a a very nice close shave getting used to it,extremely light,loading gets some getting used to.

Hi everyone

I've only been doing SR shaving (with a shavette) for a month, but I totally have the bug. After looking around at the different shavettes that are compatible with standard DE or 1/2DE blades, it looks like there are only a few different types of blade holding mechanisms. Wondering if any of the more experienced peeps here can fill in the gaps.

I am specifically looking at standard DE or 1/2DE blades because sometimes I also like to switch back to my Merkur safety razor, and I'm too cheap to buy two sets of blades.

1. Hinge

The Equinox (about $15 on Amazon) has a hinge mechanism for a DE blade. You push out the latch, and one half of the blade holder swings out, and the DE blade drops neatly in (with only one edge exposed).

View attachment 652661

2. Screw

The Daune ($20) holds a DE blade as well. The blade holder is held in place by a screw. The entire blade holder comes off, and the blade drops in, then you replace the screw.

View attachment 652663

3. Knob

The IBC Shavette ($70) is the only shavette I've found that is designed like this. After unscrewing the knob, the blade holders come apart and rotate, you slide in the 1/2DE blade, rotate the blade holders back, and tighten the knob. The IBC also happens to be compatible with some of the other blades, but I'm not really familiar with those. I'm really intrigued by this one. The build quality looks fantastic.

View attachment 652673Universal half blade,very nice,also the Sedef used by turkish barbers different loading mechanism,you have to break off the tabs either side of the half de blade before loading ,a learning curve the blade slides in, videos showing you available,best shave of all. I own the IBC shavette and the daune.I now use a Parker srx ,the Sedef and the Universal half blade.The closest smoothest shave comes from the Sedef with the Universal full blade second which i dont use.The Sedef is so light it takes some getting used to,i dont really know why it shaves so well the blade is held very firmly and the whole blade and mechanism is very thin,must have some give.In straight razor terms the Boker 4/8 shaved the closest for me a very thin blade,
Dont try the Sedef unless you are pretty skilled.

4. Pinch

This seems to be the most common type of mechanism. The Parker SRW ($25), Dreadnought ($20), Parker SR1 ($20), Samurai ($15), Bluebeard's Revenge ($15), Sanguine ($15), Acevivi ($10), etc. all take 1/2DE blades. You slide off the thing that pinches the two blade holders together, pry them apart, slide the 1/2DE blade in, and then pinch it in place.

View attachment 652668

The Universal (about $40 in Italy) uses the same type of mechanism except that the blade holder is double wide for a DE blade.

View attachment 652669

The reason I ask is because right now I am shaving with the Equinox, and I like the hinge mechanism. But the build quality of the Equinox isn't that great. It just feels cheap.

I've tried several of the shavettes that use the pinch mechanism, and I just don't like it. I find that the process of prying the two blade holders apart is just too cumbersome. Most of the time I end up dropping the blade, and I always feel like I'm going to cut myself.

I was thinking about trying the Daune, but the all-plastic body just looks so cheap that I don't think I would like it.

Hi everyone

1. Hinge

View attachment 652661

2. Screw

View attachment 652663

3. Knob

View attachment 652673

4. Pinch

View attachment 652668

View attachment 652669

I tried it on a few different brands of blades but never could make it fit properly. But I never tried breaking the tabs and they seemed to be the pieces dragging across the lips of the shavette. Will try.

I have another full DE blade shavette Zazor, very much like Daune but with a fixed handle. It is quite a safer (straight safety?) razor.

I have the Parker SR1 and like it, but got the IBC shavette and love it. It is the only one I use when going for a straight razor shave ( I can't seem to get the stropping down well for my actual straight razors). I have been using a half of a Personna blade in mine. It does a great job and is a well made tool. The price is a little high, but I feel it is worth it. I like the way it loads better than the way the Parker does.

ibc shavette-1.jpg

ibc shavette-2.jpg

Top Bottom