What's new

Different types of AC blades

I'm trying out some AC blades in the WR4 - are my Kai red Sharpblades different from the regular Captain blades? I don't have any original Captains to hand.

Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 19.17.54.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 19.17.43.png

I know the PINK blades come in two versions: guarded and unguarded. I'm familiar with both blades.

Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 19.18.24.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 19.18.35.png

The Feather line up seems to make more sense, even though the newer Soft Guards are missing below

Feather AC blades.png

In my Hawk V3 with the regular base plate, I can get great shaves from unguarded blades, and from nearly all guarded blades, including the Feather ProGuard, the more heavily guarded Kai Protouch, and the even more heavily guarded Kai Salon Select Premium Guard.

However, when I tried the Feather SoftGuard, the most heavily guarded blade of all, I couldn't get it to cut effectively without pressing a lot. I'm sure a more skilled shaver could make it work, but I gave up in frustration.

Maybe I should stick to GEM blades lol

Too many choices. I guess the Soft Guard is intended for use with aggressive AC razors. I find the Kai Protouch and the Mild Pink unguarded version very similar.

Back when I had a Feather straight, I had tried many different blades in it. The KAI Captain sharpblade felt quite aggressive, the standard Captain was much more neutral. My favorite of the KAIs was (and is) the PINK version.
I have an Asylum on the way, so I’ll be trying these blades out in a new format for me; the SE razor.

I've been using the Feather ProGuard blades in a Razorock Hawk V2 (aluminum) and I've been getting weepers despite intentionally using as minimal pressure as possible and very good soap (Grooming Dept. Pura). I think I'm nearing 8-10 shaves on this combination. I had previously used the AC blades in the Feather Artist Club SS kamisori type handle with decent success.

I have the Kai MG and Captain Mild PINK blades to try, but am curious if anyone else has experienced a bit more damage when using the ProGuards compared to a non-guarded blade? I know, the guards are intended to make for a unproblematic experience, but that doesn't seem to be how it's going for me in this handle.

And, I'm primarily riding the cap of the Hawk, rotating the handle down to where the blade just starts to cut.

Try starting with a 90 degree angle and bring it down as learn to 'dial it in'.

As mentioned in your other post in a different thread, my Yaqi Romulus is awesome! Start at 90 and lower it until you hit the sweet spot.

I'm not getting weepers or burn from my aftershave either except for rare occasions when I have some user error.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have most of the AC blades on the market. I use the Kai Protouch MG guarded blades the most but I'm not sure if I can tell the difference between them and the Feather ProGuard, truth be told. I need to use a ProGuard for a complete shave now that my technique has improved. I use my Claymore Evolution around my nose for every shave so limited use and I've always had the Protouch installed in it.

I do use my ATT X1 AC Slant quite a bit and the Kai Protouch blades work well. The next shave I do with it, I'll substitute the ProGuards and see how they do. Or I should say... how I do with them. <eg>

I've tried all nearly all the AC blades I could find since starting this thread. The Red Kai Captains are harsh, the blues are better but the Pinks are clearly superior. Both guarded and regular blades. Largely I tend to stick to regular unguarded blades, mostly Prolines and Kai Pinks but like the Protouch as well.

Not really a fan of Feather AC blades on the whole and the ProGuards are less comfortable, I'm aware of the guard making it feel less smooth overall, but no more likely to cause weepers. I don't have the Hawk though. Recently I tried all my blades with the X1, Mongoose and the WR4.

I did try the SoftGuard. It's a very mild blade that I would probably only use for an aggressive razor.

If a blade doesn't work, I suggest trying a different one in the Hawk.

@sidpost - when you say "90-degrees", do you mean starting with the handle perpendicular to the skin or parallel (head would be 90* to skin)?

@Fedsbackhand - thanks for that insight - yes, I might just swap blades and see how it goes. I've been shaving non-cartridge razors for 12 years - I think I can find the right angle, but some razor head designs make it easier/faster to get there due to their inherent design.

@sidpost - when you say "90-degrees", do you mean starting with the handle perpendicular to the skin or parallel (head would be 90* to skin)?

@Fedsbackhand - thanks for that insight - yes, I might just swap blades and see how it goes. I've been shaving non-cartridge razors for 12 years - I think I can find the right angle, but some razor head designs make it easier/faster to get there due to their inherent design.

Handle against my cheek, not perpendicular.

It will drag shaving cream that way but, when I tilt it up, I find the 'sweet spot' for a nice close irritation-free shave. Once I did that a few times, I was dialed into the 'angle' that works best for my facial structure and whiskers.

I also suspect this is why I like my Romulus so much more than the matte Excalibur.

ah, okay, that's effectively starting by riding the bar instead of the cap.

I've been riding the cap.

I will try that first with the ProGuard blade and see how it goes before I change to a unguarded blade.

ah, okay, that's effectively starting by riding the bar instead of the cap.

I've been riding the cap.

I will try that first with the ProGuard blade and see how it goes before I change to a unguarded blade.

Riding the cap generally doesn't work for me. Riding the safety bar and letting up yields better results and faster results for me almost all the time; I also find it easier to find the best angle for a great shave without irritation.

Thanks for so informative thread. I started shaving with AC razors about 6 weeks ago. I own Romulus head and Shield Razor titanium AC2 head. I had 3 shaves with each head using provided blade with each head. With my sensitive prone to cuts and weepers skin and hard facial hair i found out that I prefer guarded blade which came with Shield head and I prefer Romulus head since it's more compact and especially when I shave right under my nose. I use ride the cap technique but didn't try to ride the handle yet

I've tried a few guarded blades and never liked a single one of them. I seem to nick myself far more with a blade that seems to be designed to do just the opposite. I wonder if it might be my technique . . . ;)

I have used Feather, Kai Titan regular and Pink, and also Schick P30 artist club too. I found that Feather are a bit harsh, but after 3 or 4 shaves they seem to break in nicely. The Titan Pinks are decent but certainly not my favorite. The Schicks are beautiful but the cost knocks them down on my list. The best bang for my buck is the Kai Titan regular. They're just the right balance of sharp and durable.

Oh right . . . . almost forgot ("how could I?")
I use a King Cobra typically
I've also tried any of these blades in a SS Razorock Hawk (V3).
Or even sometimes in my SS Mongoose.
The king is by far my favorite.

@never-stop-learning has a really good thread here if you're interested. It really helped me a lot.

Scored some Feather SuperPro blades on Amazon for ~$10 a pack for anyone curious to try them. Click the alternate sellers for the deal I saw and, yes it does ship from Amazon with your other stuff.

Top Bottom