What's new

Different technique for cream?

I normally use shaving soap but every once in a while I use a cream , typically Art of Shaving or TOBS, and I just don’t seem to get as dense a lather as I like with soap. Do I need a different technique for cream? I may just try to use more product unless someone has a better suggestion.

You hinted at it in your post: Use more product. When I face lather, I rub a small amount of cream on my face and neck and then work the lather in. I do that method if the cream is in a tube. If the cream is in a tub or bowl, I take a damp brush and work it on the cream. Also, rubbing the brush around your face more improves your lather. If you bowl lather just work the lather in the bowl for longer periods. If the lather is still weak, add more cream.

You hinted at it in your post: Use more product. When I face lather, I rub a small amount of cream on my face and neck and then work the lather in. I do that method if the cream is in a tube. If the cream is in a tub or bowl, I take a damp brush and work it on the cream. Also, rubbing the brush around your face more improves your lather. If you bowl lather just work the lather in the bowl for longer periods. If the lather is still weak, add more cream.
Ackvil, thank you. More product it is.

Merry Christmas!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm new to creams, and despite loading far more cream than I would soap, I'm getting thin lathers too. However, so far it seems that I can get a thinner working lather with soap than I can with cream. Cream seems to need to be richer to give the same performance, so you need to use way more cream than you would soap to get the same appearance, then even more product on top of that to get the same performance.

Also, more time and effort is required. After loading a soap, I can take it straight to the face, and don't need to spend time working it to get a useable lather. With cream, I'm bowl lathering, and having to put more effort in to get the cream to become lather - around the same time for just working a cream in the bowl, as the total time for loading and face lathering a soap.

I'm new to creams, and despite loading far more cream than I would soap, I'm getting thin lathers too. However, so far it seems that I can get a thinner working lather with soap than I can with cream. Cream seems to need to be richer to give the same performance, so you need to use way more cream than you would soap to get the same appearance, then even more product on top of that to get the same performance.

Also, more time and effort is required. After loading a soap, I can take it straight to the face, and don't need to spend time working it to get a useable lather. With cream, I'm bowl lathering, and having to put more effort in to get the cream to become lather - around the same time for just working a cream in the bowl, as the total time for loading and face lathering a soap.
Aimlesswanderer,

I appreciate your insights and sharing of experiences.

Cheers!

My only recomendation is to start with a drier brush. Creams have a much higher water content than soap, so you don't need as much water in the brush.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have found using creams is that more product is sometimes needed. I had a cream given to me that I really liked the performance and the smell but it took so much product to get a decent usable lather. Most times I can get a good lather with an almond sized dollop but this cream took over 4 times that amount.

I use about an almond size amount of cream. Squeeze water out of brush, you can always add more water if needed but can't remove excess water. Kinda like salt and cooking. I want to add there is always a small amount of water in my scuttle from soaking brush. I find it takes only 30 sec (if not less) to get the perfect lather but I use mostly creams and can whip them up in my sleep. Water to cream ratio is key plus a ridged bowl makes a HUGE difference in reducing time to perfect lather. I don't face lather often due to sensitive skin and redness. Plus my scuttle keeps the cream nice and hot. I hate cold lather.

My only recomendation is to start with a drier brush. Creams have a much higher water content than soap, so you don't need as much water in the brush.

I also think that using less water is the better approach to lathering creams.
With soaps I use "Marco's Method" and I always forget to adapt my technique when using creams.

Yes. If you are getting a thin lather with cream you have too wet a brush to begin with. If you get too sticky or thick lather you used too much cream. Work in between those extremes and you should find that creams are faster and more convenient for face lathering than most soaps. That’s their biggest advantage in my book.

Top Bottom