What's new

Different Soaps for Different Shaving Passes?

I agree with @Eben Stone that you must be using inferior soaps.

There are some superb soaps that will do it all. They act as a preshave. For the shave, they provide superb slickness. They provide superb cushion to protect your skin from the blade. Finally, they provide superb post shave skin moisturizing and conditioning.

On a slightly different take on a similar topic, I DO use different razor and blade for every pass as I have found that each pass as a different requirement for efficiency and aggressiveness. Thus, I start with a very efficient razor to knock down my beard growth and complete my shave with a very mild razor equipped with a super sharp blade to pick up any stray stubble left behind by previous passes. I can use a single razor and blade for the entire shave, but I get better shaves using multiple razors.
This is why God allowed mankind to produce fantastic adjustable razors! So much easier than changing out to a different razor for each pass.

To answer the question: Hell no! I use a straight razor daily and for me, soap lather viscosity is crucial. Why in the world would I change soaps? I will say this: If you want a high quality soap that you can adjust on the fly during your shave and between passes, Martin de Candre is your soap of choice.

With MdC, I can throttle up or throttle back my viscosity based on my needs for edge/grind/razor conditions.

This is why God allowed mankind to produce fantastic adjustable razors! So much easier than changing out to a different razor for each pass.
I do have one adjustable razor, the Parker Variant. However, there are lots of variations in razor types. I have straight razors, three piece DE razors with open combs, three piece razors with safety bars, razors with slant heads, TTO razors, single edge Schick style injector razors, SE razors that use AC blades. I enjoy using different razors and using a differernt razor for every pass allows me to get a more enjoyable shave. However, I can use a single razor for the entire shave, I just do not enjoy doing it that way.

Apologies, I kinda missed the earlier conversations as I was in the middle of rearranging my canned vegetables and spice racks alphabetically (someone spelled it KORN and I wasted about an hour's time) -- what was the question?:redface-new:

Top Bottom