What's new

Different NEW

I bought this NEW on ebay and it just arrived yesterday. I am just curious if anyone has seen one like it before. The case is the standard Red/Black bar end new case, but the razor is different.

The handle looks at first like a New Improved (Bostonian/New Standard) barrel with Tuckaway end pieces on it. It is longer than the Tuckaway handles, and has the larger diamond pattern on it.

Once I was able to inspect it in person I found that the handle barrel does not have any patent information like there is on every other similar barrel I have seen. No information printed on it at all. The part that the head screws in to is different than a Tuckaway, or actually any Gillette I have. Instead of rounding off where it butts against the barrel, it flattens out. The head is similar to what is on the Bar Handle NEWs, and has the patent info there.

Without further delay, the pictures:

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Anyone seen anything like this? When I bought it I thought there was a good chance it was just a franken razor with a Bostonian and a Tuckaway, but I think it may be legit now. Any other input? Thanks!

Only input is - Cool! Haven't seen anything like that before. Even if it is a frankenrazor the handle is unique.

Could a tuckaway knob have even been put on a Bostonian style barrel?

Only input is - Cool! Haven't seen anything like that before. Even if it is a frankenrazor the handle is unique.

Could a tuckaway knob have even been put on a Bostonian style barrel?

Possible, but I don't think that the barrel is from a Bostonian anymore. I have never seen one without the Jan 13 1920 date on it before, and the part the head screws in to is different too. I haven't seen one that looks like it before.

I love a good mystery. This is fun.

I know that the Red and Black Sets were advertised as including a "Gillette Razor" along with Blue Blades, but they never specified which Gillette razor. I have seen many examples of both of the common bar Gillette New variations with the case and Krumholz mentions the fact that Techs were even included in some. They had most likely purchased a huge supply of these cases. It is not out of the question that Gillette would have used up in stock parts to assemble a number of razors that would fit the existing case. I don't think it is a New Improved barrel though. The New DeLuxe barrel has the exact same design but doesn't carry the patent date as does the New Improved barrel if I remember correctly. Here is my New DeLuxe and a common bar. What if they used a New Norfolk knob, a New Deluxe barrel and a New common bar neck, guard and cap?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now that I look at my New DeLuxe picture there is some text on the barrel, but this doesn't mean Gillette couldn't have used pre-stamped, blank stock barrels.

I know that the Red and Black Sets were advertised as including a "Gillette Razor" along with Blue Blades, but they never specified which Gillette razor. I have seen many examples of both of the common bar Gillette New variations with the case and Krumholz mentions the fact that Techs were even included in some. They had most likely purchased a huge supply of these cases. It is not out of the question that Gillette would have used up in stock parts to assemble a number of razors that would fit the existing case. I don't think it is a New Improved barrel though. The New DeLuxe barrel has the exact same design but doesn't carry the patent date as does the New Improved barrel if I remember correctly. Here is my New DeLuxe and a common bar. What if they used a New Norfolk knob, a New Deluxe barrel and a New common bar neck, guard and cap?

Good points. They did reuse parts often.
It looks in the pictures like your NEW DeLuxe has patent info printed on the bottom of the barrel though. I know my New DeLuxe has patent info on the handle. I also think that the neck is different than on the common NEW too. That head looks identical though.

sorry, you got a reply in while I was working on the post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom