What's new

Differences in Micromatic Brass and Chrome OC Razors

I've been shaving with SE razors for many years but always cleaned my razors separately, never all at once. I noted yesterday while cleaning my Brass and Chrome OC Micromatics and comparing them, that the Chrome had Dimples on the base plate and the Brass has none, I always wondered why the Brass Micromatic OC was a bit more aggressive than the Chrome OC, I think I've found the reason why. But I forgot to check if there is a difference in blade exposure.
The Chrome does give me a better shave than the Brass, maybe I should change the angle I use.

Happiness is a great morning BBS shave, Denis

The spine on a GEM blade angles the blade edge at the comb. They add the dimples when then made a double edged blade, no spine, so the blade would sit at the same angle as blade with spine.

That's what I heard.

Using both with a spined blade, they both should be the same. If you find some GEM Double edge blades, you probably shouldn't use them in the one without dimples.

Just to add something to what rabidus has said. Over the years Gem blades have changed, I believe that both the blade and the spine have become thinner. If the current blades have thinner spines than those made at the time of the razors, the blades will sit at a slightly different angles in the different razors:001_smile

This is the blade in question - you can see how the lack of a spine would change the blade angle. It also explains why the Micromatics have the notch holders and the earlier and later Gem razors don't - they couldn't have the top edge resting against the back of the cap.

709571023_o.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The spine on a GEM blade angles the blade edge at the comb. They add the dimples when then made a double edged blade, no spine, so the blade would sit at the same angle as blade with spine.

That's what I heard.

Using both with a spined blade, they both should be the same. If you find some GEM Double edge blades, you probably shouldn't use them in the one without dimples.

Nooooow I get it! LOL. Thanks, yet again for the education.

I read on < Original Safety Too > website that the bumps were added to less-on the chance of mis-loading the blade. Whether that is true, I have no idea. As with so much of GEM / EveryReady there is a lot speculation and very little real documentation. Just alot of "lore" & "Urban Legend".

Only the early MMOC razors did not have the raised bumps and per what I have read all of the bumpless ones were gold plated. I have gold ones both ways, with and without.

Interesting thread.
All three of my Golds don't have the bumps as my two slivers do. I haven't noticed any difference in the shaves but I wasn't looking nor was I doing a side by side comparison of the two but I will now that I'm aware of the differences.

Top Bottom