What's new

Differences in 89 style heads

So, you are in the rigid blade camp. I am in the chattery blade camp. Clamping is not everything. As a matter of fact I usually get more irritation with razors that clamp the blade closer to the edge. The Ming Shi 2000s is very chattery, but I get excellent shaves @6 with 70% of the blades.

It may have a lot to do with your type of beard. I have a coarse, old man, white beard that needs super sharp blade like BIC Chrome Platinum and Nacet to cut without tugging. I find that with super sharp blades, any blade chatter is problematic for my sensitive skin. Thus, I like razors such as Karve and the Parker semi-slant that clamp the blade near the lip of the cap.

On the other hand, when using straight razors, I do not like quarter hollow grind blades. I much prefer singing full hollow and extra hollow grinds, but my favorite is the bellied hollow grind that is considered the ideal grind for tough beards like mine.

Thanks for all of the recommendations guys, in the coming months I look forward to trying these razors out as the funds permit.

To Ivan, or any other member. Did you ever test out the Maggard razor 89 style heads and if so how did they compare? They look very similar to the Yaqi offerings and have some nice handles as well.
Well of course. The Maggards DE89 style head is called V3 head. I have 6. They are somewhat similar to the Yaqi head, but slightly more exposure. A bit more aggressive shave compared to the Yaqi. Small difference though. I love them.

My R41 Zamak has a number 5 casted on the bottom side of the cap. I have read if the R41 Zamak has a #4 the whole cap is made with Zamak. If it has a #5, then the stud screw is made from brass and attached to the Zamak cap.

This is so funny...

I had posted about the Parker dual head earlier in the day. When I use my R41 head, I use it with different handles. I happened to have it on the EJ Amazon Kelvin handle.

I decided that I would try the 3-piece Parker razor's SB head with the EJ handle because I am not particularly fond of its brass handle.

after retrieving the Parker head, I took the EJ handle with the R41 head apart. I put the Parker SB head on the EJ handle.

After doing this, I picked up the two piece R41 head. As I was looking at the underside of the R41 top, I took note that there was a "5" on it.

I had no idea what the "5" meant and minutes later I am reading your post here from August 7th!

Top Bottom