What's new

Difference in technique from a shavette?

Hi guys;

I've been shaving with a shavette for a while, but recently ordered my first straight razor from Whipped Dog. While waiting for it to get here, I've been wondering how much of the shaving technique is transferable from the shavette to the SR. How much do I need to start over, so to speak?

I beleive just an angle and pressure change. (Never used a shavette but have been reading enough lately as i now have one in my collection of straights to play with).
Im sure one of the guys here who have used both will chime in soon.

I think Cuda got it. Angle and pressure are the only things that come to mind. Only shavettes I have used are a CJB (feather clone) and Weck, but those are the only differences I notice.

No experience with a straight, but heard that the shavette with unprotected corners is the toughest one to master.

IMHO if you can shave nick and irritation free with a shavette, a straight will be easy and just fall into place.

The only gotcha I find is that a shavette will tolerate a steeper angle than a straight, so you'll need to pay attention.

I did shavette then straight like you and the transition was painless and blood free.

Good luck and report back.

No experience with a straight, but heard that the shavette with unprotected corners is the toughest one to master.
I round off the corners of shavette blades for just that reason. Everyone talks about nicks, cuts and weepers, but the sharp cornered shavette introduced me to a new class of bloodletting - pokes.

I started my straight journey with shavettes (Parker followed by Feather). I found that a properly honed straight isn't as sharp as a Feather blade, but vastly more forgiving. You'll be fine if you are doing well with the shavette. Just watch the pressure and be careful as you try different angles. All of the skin stretching techniques are the same. Stropping takes practice, so you may want to get the edge redone after a couple months if the razor starts feeling dull at all. Good luck with the straight!

No personal experience with shavette, it just seems like something that would be very difficult to master to me. However, one thing that surprised me during first few shaves with straight razors was just how forgiving they are, even freshly honed. You can make small mistakes and get away with them, so I'm sure you'll do great given your experience.

I have used both. Here are some thoughts:
  • All straight razors don't shave alike; neither do all shavettes.
  • In the Feather line alone, four very-different blade profiles are offered. Their ProGuard style is excellent for beginners.
  • A little-discussed advantage of a shavette is that you can always ensure that the blade is sharp. This avoids "is it the razor or is it me (or the prep)" moments. In fact, I sometimes keep a fresh Feather around when test-shaving a newly-honed straight razor.
  • For all, keep your blade angle shallow and your touch light.
  • Short strokes, at least to begin with.
  • Watch videos.
  • Observe angle of hair growth.
  • It's OK to skip tough areas initially. Better than getting cut. Tackle them after your bladesmanship and prep improve.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Most straight razor edges are not as sharp as a half DE blade in a shavette. Some are. Most arent quite there. So you may find yourself needing to cheat a bit, with a little bit of slice in your stroke. This increases whisker cutting power a lot. However it also potentially increases skin cutting power. So don't be careless just because a straight is "more forgiving". Generally it is. However, with a slicing stroke, all bets are off.

The straight will feel more solid, less fidgety. Monolithic. It will be less grabby. It will be more prone to glide over the skin with good lather, than a shavette. It will skip and skitter less.

This is all very general, and very subjective. The fact is, if you are competent with a shavette, you will be up to speed with a straight almost right away. The only thing you will really need to pick up on is stropping and honing. Stropping right away. Honing can wait a couple of weeks, maybe more, or longer if you don't mind sending it out.

A good way to keep your edge sharp without honing and without waiting for it to get dull and putting up with meh shaves is How To Use a Pasted Balsa Strop | Badger & Blade. The first time, you might want to really give it a workout on .5u diamond, then some .25u action, before the .1u, to get her really really sharp. From there, just hit the .1u after every shave and you should never need to re-hone unless you damage the edge. If it eventually starts feeling a little off, revisit the .5u and .25u, and then start using more laps on the .1u after each shave. If you are using enough laps even .1u will keep it going by itself. I go 50 laps on the balsa after each shave. 50 on leather before shaving, too.

Hi guys;

I've been shaving with a shavette for a while, but recently ordered my first straight razor from Whipped Dog. While waiting for it to get here, I've been wondering how much of the shaving technique is transferable from the shavette to the SR. How much do I need to start over, so to speak?
Can I know what you think after having passed so much time? Because informatios they give you are not completely correct. Shavette is more dangerous but every change is potentially dangerous. I you change blade or oil or temperature of water or use a dty blade or wet blade it will change all. So never make change before you have finished your training with a system! Straight razor is different and is not so easy like they told you. Change is always an incognite and beind diffident will save your face!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Can I know what you think after having passed so much time? Because informatios they give you are not completely correct. Shavette is more dangerous but every change is potentially dangerous. I you change blade or oil or temperature of water or use a dty blade or wet blade it will change all. So never make change before you have finished your training with a system! Straight razor is different and is not so easy like they told you. Change is always an incognite and beind diffident will save your face!
I don't think that you will get a response. @AF79 is no longer with us.

Please check the dates of the threads before posting - you're necroing a 3 year old thread

Top Bottom