What's new

Difference in Dovos

Specifically I'm looking at the 5/8 Tortoise and the 5/8 Black Star from Straight Razor Designs. Is one better than the other for starting off?

I guess to keep the number of threads to a minimum, I was planning on getting a set with a strop included. Should I still get a practice strop?

I don't if there is a difference between the two, but Joel was very impressed with the Tortoise. That is a good enough endorsement for me. If you don't have a strop by the kit as the SRD strops get very good reviews. You can use an old leather belt to practice on. Or you could get a Tony Miller strop and he sells practice strops for around 7 bucks. Use something other than a nice strop to get your technique down.

Thanks for the response. For some reason I completely forgot about the review section for a few minutes.

I don't if there is a difference between the two, but Joel was very impressed with the Tortoise. That is a good enough endorsement for me. If you don't have a strop by the kit as the SRD strops get very good reviews. You can use an old leather belt to practice on. Or you could get a Tony Miller strop and he sells practice strops for around 7 bucks. Use something other than a nice strop to get your technique down.

+1. Nice strops + Beginners = Sad Newbie :frown:

Either razor would be a great start as long as you get it shave ready. Keep in mind that shave-ready razor still needs stropping. Make sure that you read up on stropping technique since you can ruin a shave-ready razor while stropping.

Welcome to straight shaving!

Top Bottom