What's new

Difference in boar breed and boar bristles or processing ?

I own Semogue (Portugal), Omega (Italy) and unbranded (China) boar brushes.
The Semogue & Omega bristles seems thicker and straighter haired. I can run a comb through these under running water to aide in rinsing and cleaning. Not able to do these with the Chinese boar knots.
Is this based on boar variety, boar bristle quality or bristle processing.
Anyone else notice this or have insight ?

I own Semogue (Portugal), Omega (Italy) and unbranded (China) boar brushes.
The Semogue & Omega bristles seems thicker and straighter haired. I can run a comb through these under running water to aide in rinsing and cleaning. Not able to do these with the Chinese boar knots.
Is this based on boar variety, boar bristle quality or bristle processing.
Anyone else notice this or have insight ?

Good question. How does the Chinese boar perform for you? I've never tried a Chinese boar knot. Guess I'll have to now. ;)

I know with badger, all hair comes from China. I dont know if its the same with Boar? I also thought Semogue offered Boar grades? Much like Silvertip, Manchurian, blah, blah (Im a Boar guy :001_302: ). Correct me if I have misremembered. So if these variables come into play, then I guess there can be as wide of a hair quality variation as with Badger. If you then add technique and method, hundreds of years perfecting the Boar brush. Then I can begin to see a wide variation between quality. Perhaps a lather off competition or comparison is in order?

Great question! Unfortunately I have no idea of the answer in terms of breeds/sources of the hair.

I do know that some boar brushes are dyed and that some companies (Semogue) 'grade' their bristles.

Definitely a difference in quality. Both the Semogue and Omega brushes feel, perform and loose much less hair.
Good point raised regarding grades but I've never had a bad boar brush from Semogue or Omega and have since parked my Chinese boar brush since life's too short and the variety too great to put up with a poor functioning brush.

Top Bottom