What's new

Difference between Pearl open comb and closed comb TTOs

IMG_.png
On Christmas my RAD got the upper hand again, and I bought a discounted Pearl SBF-11FB open comb TTO. There is a loss of the black powder plating on the silo doors, but that's not a problem, since the razor is all brass. As i have mentioned previously in my review of the SBF-11 closed comb, I like it so much that I initially decided not to buy e Pearl TTO open comb. Turns out these razors are quite different and the difference is not only the open and closed comb.
On my first pass with the open comb I started with the same blade angle as the closed comb, but soon realised the razor doesn't quite "cut it". So then I switched to a shallow angle, more like Gillette tech or a super-speed, and the shave got instantly much better. Later I inspected carefully both heads. The open comb has much smaller gap than the closed comb. Pearl probably made that because of the open comb. Otherwise it would be a beast of a razor. The feeling while you shave is different. You feel the open comb as the more aggressive on your skin. But the paradox is after some testing with different blades, the closed comb gives me a better BBS because of the wider gap.
Anyway, both are excellent razors that will firmly stay in my rotation.

I have 2 of the OC Ttos from Pearl. One long handle the other short. Both are chrome. I prefer the short handle and like you found the OC works better with a shallow or neutral angle. I also found it to be tricky to use. It has a propensity to bite me at unexpected times and in areas where I normally don't have problems. All in, I enjoy using it and get a great shave. Not my daily driver but definitely in my regular rotation.

I have posted twice in the past about the Pearl TTO OC. Recieved no response to either post. It appears we may be the only 2 people that use and like these razors. I have decide my next shave will be with one. Probably tonight or tomorrow morning.

Pretty sure we are not the only 2 using the Pearl OC TTO here. There are threads about them here. Also you can see that in the search results in the "What razor/blade did you use today" thread.

Oh I am sure there are others as well and yes I have seen the other posts. I just don't think the Pearl OC TTO really caught on in the US. I think it is under rated. It works well, is made of brass, gives a great shave and has a very unique look. As an added bonus it is cheap. I traded for the first one and bought the second one off the bay with 50 blades.

Most are afraid of open combs. And it is probably the worst choice for beginners. Too much space between the teeth on the Pearl. Frankly, most guys don't need an open comb razor. Even if you have barbwire whiskers. Lots of closed comb razors that just have a wide gap and shave well even the toughest beards. I have to admit I could manage without OC razors and still get BBS. Take the Ming Shi adjustable, or the closed comb Pearl TTO, or even the Yintal 3-piece razors.

I used my short handle Pearl TTO OC this morning. 3 pass bbs. Used a Voskhod blade and Williams Mug Soap with Aqua Velva AS. Lots of audible feed back with this razor. Fun to use. It didn't bite me this time.

I'll reopen this old thread, love my Pearl TTO open comb , and I had to hunt for it on "that " auction site a few years ago, they were on there for a limited time and then they were gone ..... not even sure if "Pearl" is still making razors : they are from India , correct ?

I'll reopen this old thread, love my Pearl TTO open comb , and I had to hunt for it on "that " auction site a few years ago, they were on there for a limited time and then they were gone ..... not even sure if "Pearl" is still making razors : they are from India , correct ?
They are making razors, and quite a lot of them. 3 piece CC and OC also TTO CC and OC. They are available at Gifts & Care. I have bought a couple more in the last year from Indian Ebay sellers.

They still make razors for sure ! Quite recently they released a brass cnc milled adjustable razor called the flexi.

Found their web site , I see only one model of TTO , open comb now , a black handle version which is not bad looking, the shipping is what makes it hard for me to invest in a second one . No one selling them on The Bay web site , that's for sure ( the open comb ones ). I might get another someday to take to the Philippines in the future , as I won't take my Gillette Senator ? TTO , open comb for sure !

They are making razors, and quite a lot of them. 3 piece CC and OC also TTO CC and OC. They are available at Gifts & Care. I have bought a couple more in the last year from Indian Ebay sellers.

$27 and change to California from Gifts & Care including the shipping, not too horrible... I have a feeling they have a limited number of the open comb tto left .

I would highly suggest you guys contact Pearl as they still make the razors and are available on amazon India.

They are also available on their website.

I would highly suggest you guys contact Pearl as they still make the razors and are available on amazon India.

They are also available on their website.
If you contact Pearl directly they are asking you what quantities you want to buy. They will only sell you large quantities. If you try to buy a razor from their site it is impossible too, as the cards accepted should be Indian only. So for us who don't live in India it's a no go.
I have never seen any goods on Amazon.In that can be shipped to other countries.

If you contact Pearl directly they are asking you what quantities you want to buy. They will only sell you large quantities. If you try to buy a razor from their site it is impossible too, as the cards accepted should be Indian only. So for us who don't live in India it's a no go.
I have never seen any goods on Amazon.In that can be shipped to other countries.
Let me check if I can assist you in any way.

Let me check if I can assist you in any way.
I don't need to buy more Pearl razors. I have more than 10. You can see 2 of them in this thread. I was telling you what happened 2-3 years ago. If we try to buy Pearl from India the only option is Ebay sellers from India. I have bought at least 3 this way.

I don't need to buy more Pearl razors. I have more than 10. You can see 2 of them in this thread. I was telling you what happened 2-3 years ago. If we try to buy Pearl from India the only option is Ebay sellers from India. I have bought at least 3 this way.
No worries then, but from the threads on the flexi I recall they also accept paypal now and ship internationally. After launching the Flexi a lot of things have changed for them, in a good way.

So I think if you contact them they might be able to send you the razors you want.

Top Bottom