What's new

Difference between NEW Flat Bottom and New Improved

I've been trolling the bay for a NEW Flat Bottom or Raised Flat Bottom based on Edgar's praises and noticed that the NEW Flat Bottom (not raised) looks almost identical to my New Improved, which also has a flat bottom. Does anyone have both (OK, that's a dumb question) and could chime in on the differences or post a side-by-side pic. Thanks in advance!

No ... they're very different actually. The NEW Flat Bottom doesn't have studs like your NI.

Here's a Flat Bottom NEW:

View attachment 561012

The Raised Flat Bottom is again different, no studs, and you can't see the alignment pins:

$CAM02001.jpg

As Edgar stated the Improved is very different and to my face shaves differently from the NEW.

See the thread below for some images of the heads with blade and angle measurements:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/162987-Photo-Analysis-of-Razor-Designs?highlight=

Here are a few of my comparison shots.

proxy.php

English Long Comb New Variations.
proxy.php

From the left:

1. Raised Flat Bottom short twin i pin with ball end handle.

2. Raised Flat Bottom long twin i pin with open ball end handle.

3. New Type Goodwill for French Market with ball end handle.

4. US Stlye with ball end handle.

5. Zinc Flat Bottom Round pin with splined handle.

6. Flat Bottom Round pin with full knurled handle.

7. Flat Bottom T pin with two gap knurled handle.

8. Flat Bottom Capital I pin with two gap knurled handle.

9. Flat bottom medium twin i pin tabless cap with full knurled handle.

10. Flat Bottom biased twin i pin tabless cap with two gap knurled handle.

11. Flat Bottom medium twin i pin with single gap knurled handle.

12. Raised Flat Bottom "fang" tab with short single gap knurled handle.

Last edited:
Slight threadjack.....How does the shave of the hybrid Tech (without open combs) compare with the shave of a NEW, or with that of a regular Tech? How about the open comb hybrid Tech? /slight threadjack

Slight threadjack.....How does the shave of the hybrid Tech (without open combs) compare with the shave of a NEW, or with that of a regular Tech? How about the open comb hybrid Tech? /slight threadjack
The Hybrid Techs I see always fetch silly prices, the ones I don't see go for cheap (just a couple days ago one went for 20 GBP), so I don't think I'll be able to answer that question anytime soon. [emoji38]

However, a small correction. Hybrid Techs are all safety bar razors. The one with the identical baseplate, but with combs are RFB NEWs, not Techs.

I've been trolling the bay for a NEW Flat Bottom or Raised Flat Bottom based on Edgar's praises and noticed that the NEW Flat Bottom (not raised) looks almost identical to my New Improved, which also has a flat bottom. !
I used to struggle with the improved vs deluxe thing. Other than the posts, the both have flat bottoms. However the shaves, teeth shape, and teeth gap are totally different.

Me and Edgar agree on 99%of the time, but I think he prefers the rfb over the flat bottom. Personally, I think the flat bottom is the best shaver I have. Considering I paid 20$ for it, and over 10 times that for my second favorite razor, it's definitely the best bang for the buck in my experience.

You don't have to get a Gillette proper either.... My favorite is the 7 o'clock flat bottom, but minora also makes one (and I just picked one up this week for 20$, cased).

Of course you have to get a rfb as well, bit you'll probably pay a bit more and they are slightly harder to find.

I've also seen good prices on deluxe models as well lately, which I also prefer over the rfb.

YMMV, of course, but I think this is a favorable time for acquisition on the bay right now.

Thanks Edgar and the gang. In retrospect, my question was vague; it was more about the shave geometry and experience rather than pure looks and how to tell them apart. Either way, my questions have been answered and my search for a flat bottom or RFB continues ...

Me and Edgar agree on 99%of the time, but I think he prefers the rfb over the flat bottom.

True.

The Flat Bottoms are also great shavers, though. I do tend to prefer the RFB or the Deluxe, but the Flat Bottoms never fail to impress every time I use one.

I've been trolling the bay for a NEW Flat Bottom or Raised Flat Bottom based on Edgar's praises and noticed that the NEW Flat Bottom (not raised) looks almost identical to my New Improved, which also has a flat bottom. Does anyone have both (OK, that's a dumb question) and could chime in on the differences or post a side-by-side pic. Thanks in advance!

It sounds to me as though you are maybe talking about a comparison between an RFB NEW and an NI. New Improved is more aggressive than an RFB NEW, but they can feel rougher too. Flat-bottom NEWs are closer to Techs, and I gather you don't mean that one.

How does the shave of the hybrid Tech (without open combs) compare with the shave of a NEW ... ?

You can do slant strokes with a Tech Hybrid like there is no tomorrow, and you probably won’t ever draw blood. It is mostly about technique with that particular razor. I find that it is milder than the flat-bottom NEW. It is a great razor that’s worth acquiring if you like mild.

Thanks Edgar and the gang. In retrospect, my question was vague; it was more about the shave geometry and experience rather than pure looks and how to tell them apart. Either way, my questions have been answered and my search for a flat bottom or RFB continues ...

I've only been double edge shaving for about six months and have learned a lot from the members here.
IMO you definitely owe it to yourself to try to acquire a RFB. I only own one and find it to be the best and most mild yet close shaving NEW I own.
I would also like to acquire other varieties. The problem is they seem to be more scarce than other razors on Ebay and since most are are made in England they are hard to find locally in the USA.
Good luck in your search.

You can do slant strokes with a Tech Hybrid like there is no tomorrow, and you probably won’t ever draw blood. It is mostly about technique with that particular razor. I find that it is milder than the flat-bottom NEW. It is a great razor that’s worth acquiring if you like mild.
Thanks. This is somewhat helpful. I would like it broken down slightly more, though, if possible.

I have a Canadian triangle-slot Tech and I have a British RFB NEW. My question is, does the flat-bottom hybrid British Tech shave more like the Canadian Tech or more like the RFB NEW, or not like either one. Would it offer any advantages (or disadvantages) in comparison to either of those two razors?

I find that the RFB Hybrid NEW/Tech shaves very much like the UK RFB NEW OC. Here are my observations right after trying one for the first time. BTW, the Hybrid shaves nothing at all like a Tech, in my opinion ...
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...t-Bottom-family-reunion?p=6384225#post6384225

Shaved with one this morning, so fresh in my mind....very much like the RFB New than the Tech's in whatever variety. I will always be with one in the rotation. Nice and heavy as well as shinny because of the Rhodium plating. And it is outstanding with any handle. Used it with a Titanium Hempel handle today.

Is the rfb the most mild, smooth of the new oc? The only oc I have is a new frankenzazor and it cuts the he'll out of me. I'd like to try a proper new.

Top Bottom